Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Breitling Top Time
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:18 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I inherited a Breitling Top Time watch and would like to know a bit more about it.
It does work but has obviousley had a hard life and does need some remedial work although I'm not sure if its worth a major overhaul, I would how ever be interested to know a bit more about it.

The watch has the following markings inside of s/s case BREITLING WATCH LTD, SWISS, 1020323 (Stamped) and the following numbers hand engraved 689rg379 & L278Y38/8

I guess the first number is the serial /No but I wondered if the other numbers are significant.

Can anyone give me an idea of the age? The face is black with a off white outside edge showing a series of numbers counting from 1000 @ 1.00 to 60 @ 12.00 and it has the normal 60 sec movement @ 9.00 and 45 mins @ 3.00

The watch needs a new glass as the the one fitted does not seem to fit correctly and the winder is missing its connecting piece to allow winding and time adjustment. at the moment a watch makers screwdrive is used for winding but I cant adjust the time. The face has some wear around the outer edge although I don't mind that.

The watch has sentimental value so I guess I'll have it done but what would a ball park figure be as to the value of the watch?

Thanks for reading this and thanks for the forum.

Seasons Greetings to all.

onewatt

Post subject: Re: Breitling Top Time
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:10 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Reed wrote:
I inherited a Breitling Top Time watch and would like to know a bit more about it.
It does work but has obviousley had a hard life and does need some remedial work although I'm not sure if its worth a major overhaul, I would how ever be interested to know a bit more about it.

The watch has the following markings inside of s/s case BREITLING WATCH LTD, SWISS, 1020323 (Stamped) and the following numbers hand engraved 689rg379 & L278Y38/8

I guess the first number is the serial /No but I wondered if the other numbers are significant.

Can anyone give me an idea of the age? The face is black with a off white outside edge showing a series of numbers counting from 1000 @ 1.00 to 60 @ 12.00 and it has the normal 60 sec movement @ 9.00 and 45 mins @ 3.00

The watch needs a new glass as the the one fitted does not seem to fit correctly and the winder is missing its connecting piece to allow winding and time adjustment. at the moment a watch makers screwdrive is used for winding but I cant adjust the time. The face has some wear around the outer edge although I don't mind that.

The watch has sentimental value so I guess I'll have it done but what would a ball park figure be as to the value of the watch?

Thanks for reading this and thanks for the forum.

Seasons Greetings to all.

onewatt

The watch serial number dates it to 1965. Hard to give any idea as to value without seeing the condition. The hand engraved numbers are probably watchmakers marks from when it had prior services. You can check the catalog section of this site and look at the 1969 catalog and it shows what should be a very similar model.

Paul L