All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Lamania Chrono
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:14 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
This auction ended today:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEDWX:IT

I am new to the vintage scene, but I really liked the look of this watch.

Is it real? Is there a reason why I don't see more of this type / age listed for sale? Did the winner get a good deal?

If anyone knows where I can find a similar watch I would appreciate the info. Thanks to all the great forum members that provide their expert advice and help newcomers learn what to look for.

Post subject: Re: Lamania Chrono
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:18 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
I had a long hard look at that one today. Almost bid on it. The LeMania movement is a winner. The watch went fairly cheap. I thought it would be in the $1000-$1200 range. Still not a big fan of the case style which is why it's not coming to me now. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:01 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 1 post
While there were some heavy, funky Breitling cases, this one isn't right at all. That's not a Breitling reference number. I've never seen a real Breitling with a serial number on the movement.

The dial and hands seem correct.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:14 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Quote:
That's not a Breitling reference number

That's one of those watches that have been assembled from Breitlingparts from the stock, after the production was not properly 1975-79 or after 1979.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:59 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
breitlingmuseum wrote:
Quote:
That's not a Breitling reference number

That's one of those watches that have been assembled from Breitlingparts from the stock, after the production was not properly 1975-79 or after 1979.

I think it is more accurate to say that it has been assembled using some Breitling parts and some non Breitling parts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:57 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

You can see the same case design in gold here on page 3;

http://www.breitlingsource.com/books_70s.shtml

I've seen a few of this exact watch on ebay over the years and really can't see anything that would indicate it's a fake. There's also a gold case variant. Just another anomally from a turbulent time in Breitling's history.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:11 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Quote:
I've seen a few of this exact watch on ebay over the years and really can't see anything that would indicate it's a fake. There's also a gold case variant. Just another anomally from a turbulent time in Breitling's history.

You are right, it only without the reference-number, because it was assembled in the late years after 1974, in real turbulent time of Breitling.

Quote:
I think it is more accurate to say that it has been assembled using some Breitling parts and some non Breitling parts.

I not think so, the parts are all from Breitling, only case back without numbers, that was usualy after 1974.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:27 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 1 post
I don't know of a pre-1979 Breitling with a Lemania movement. I've been hunting in my literature and can't find one. Richter has the biggest list and he doesn't show one. It could be, but it seems odd for Breitling to use an Omega/Lemania product instead of an ebauche.

And that isn't a Breitling case. It has a funny bubble-snap-on back and a case reference not much close to a known Breitling model. The front looks like the 2018, but I think we would need both in our hands to make a comparison. To me, though they are both barrel-shaped, they are different and the non-Breitling has a lot more metal on the top and bottom.

I don't understand the reference to irregular markings on post-1974 Breitlings. Breitling markings and serials are pretty consistent throughout their history, and especially towards the end. All the watches that came out of the inventory to Ron Geweniger had consistent markings. I don't know of a "dark time," although the pre-1944 period is a jumble of serials.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:49 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I think that case is quite similar to some '70s Heuer Autavias.
Those watches are real nice.

Breitling Colt Quartz (Sold)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:07 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

horgerg wrote:
I think that case is quite similar to some '70s Heuer Autavias.
Those watches are real nice.

I agree (on both counts).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Bill in Sacramento wrote:
I don't know of a pre-1979 Breitling with a Lemania movement. I've been hunting in my literature and can't find one. Richter has the biggest list and he doesn't show one. It could be, but it seems odd for Breitling to use an Omega/Lemania product instead of an ebauche.

In the eighties at least so no real reason not to think it's a possibility since the 1873 came into existance around 1968.

"The movement is what makes this watch so special. The Callisto Chrono is powered by a Breitling Caliber 11 movement, which is a manual wind chronograph. It is the 12-hour version of the more well-known Caliber 12 movement, which was used in the Breitling Cosmonaute II.

These movements are based on the Lemania 1873. The Callisto Chrono uses the regular movement, whereas the Cosmonaute sports a 24-hour geared 1873 (so that the hour hand makes a full cycle in 24 hours). Those movements were used by Breitling from the 1980s until in became unavailable in 2002."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:34 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

vintage wrote:
Bill in Sacramento wrote:

In the eighties at least so no real reason not to think it's a possibility since the 1873 came into existance around 1968.

"The movement is what makes this watch so special. The Callisto Chrono is powered by a Breitling Caliber 11 movement, which is a manual wind chronograph. It is the 12-hour version of the more well-known Caliber 12 movement, which was used in the Breitling Cosmonaute II.

These movements are based on the Lemania 1873. The Callisto Chrono uses the regular movement, whereas the Cosmonaute sports a 24-hour geared 1873 (so that the hour hand makes a full cycle in 24 hours). Those movements were used by Breitling from the 1980s until in became unavailable in 2002."

I see a difference in refinement between this example and my experience with Lemania Brietlings. Admittedly this one is later (mid 90s) and a 12 rather than an 11:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:49 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Here's mine. It's also new to me.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.