Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Vintage 777
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:25 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Can anyone tell me anything about this watch? The numbers on the back are 549358 777. I live in Little Rock AR USA and I would like to have it restored. Any suggestions?? Reading your replies have given me a great history lesson on Breitling watches thanks.

Post subject: Re: Vintage 777
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:15 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

One of our resident vintage Breitling experts Roffensian will come along shortly and help you... He just recently had a 777 restored as well by another member chronodeco... check the next page or two in the vintage Breitling section titled "777-Before and after" and you can see some mind blowing pictures... you will be very impressed... :D

you've come to the right place~! :lingsrock:

P.S. there are no pics attached to this thread though :(

EDIT: I found it for you... check this page you're on in the vintage Breitling section and you should find the topic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

rap286 wrote:
Can anyone tell me anything about this watch? The numbers on the back are 549358 777. I live in Little Rock AR USA and I would like to have it restored. Any suggestions?? Reading your replies have given me a great history lesson on Breitling watches thanks.

Welcome. It's good to have another Arkansan here!
As far as I know there is no one in or near Little Rock that does restoration work.
Chronodeco (Craig) who restored Roffensian's 777, is by far and away who I would recomemend .
Here's the link jlee5050 was talking about.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11566
And a few more samples of Chronodeco's work.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9878
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10336&p=84333#p84333

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:32 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Here is a pic of the watch

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:59 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Well you've seen pics of mine, and Craig / chronodeco is without a shadow of a doubt the person who can help you with this.

Your dial is slightly different, but that doesn't bother me - obviously can't comment on the movement. Yours is earlier than mine - tough to date as serials before 563659 aren't documented (that's 1944) and very few were produced in the war years. It's also possible that it was a 'left over' caseback in the parts bin.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:50 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

There isn't any markings on the inside and the only other markings on the outside from top of case down is Swiss, Waterproof, shock protected, antimagnetic, stainless steel, 549358, 777. I dont have any plans on selling it, but I would like to know what it would be worth repaired. Is there a web site which shows pic of this model?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:23 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

rap286 wrote:
There isn't any markings on the inside and the only other markings on the outside from top of case down is Swiss, Waterproof, shock protected, antimagnetic, stainless steel, 549358, 777. I dont have any plans on selling it, but I would like to know what it would be worth repaired. Is there a web site which shows pic of this model?

Really, it says waterproof? I think I'd like to see pictures of the caseback and the movement if you can.

I would suggest that the best online pics of the 777 are the ones of my watch :lol: but there are also a few here - http://www.clubbreitlingisrael.co.il/si ... eaWord=777 - ignore the square one.

In terms of value - a well restored original steel case example should be around $2,000

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:34 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 19 posts
The dial is an older refinished one and poorly done. I just happen to have a couple of good used ones and might sell one for the right price. However, I won't sell one unless I see the watch to authenicate it. The dial alone will make a $500.00 difference in the value of this watch. With that dial, you could expect around $1200 max for the watch. Craig

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:39 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

chronodeco wrote:
The dial is an older refinished one and poorly done. I just happen to have a couple of good used ones and might sell one for the right price. However, I won't sell one unless I see the watch to authenicate it. The dial alone will make a $500.00 difference in the value of this watch. With that dial, you could expect around $1200 max for the watch. Craig

You know sometimes you miss the forest for the trees - I see an old dial, and I assume original - my mistake.

Craig is absolutely correct - the dial is non original - the Breitling is a give away if nothing else - my bad!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:05 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

If the dial has been refinished are you saying it was replaced? What was refinished?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:01 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

That caseback looks a little odd - certainly nothing like mine, though mine is gold. The numbering looks OK, but not convinced that it's original.

The movement looks fine - no name on the bridge, but that's not unusual at this date. Of course it's also common among movements that were used in no name watches!

The dial will have been restamped at some point in the past, and it's not a Breitling original dial.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:12 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I've had the watch since 1971, found it while cleaning out a duplex after the renters moved. It had a leather band but I dont know why I replaced it at some point in time. Bottom line I put the watch up after the second hand fell off and its been in storage (abt 1973) up until a few weeks ago when I pulled it out and googled the brand name.