It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Aviation Cosmonaute
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:33 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi guys,

Just wondering what you all think of this one.

Does it look right, and some rough idea of $.

Thanks heaps.

cheers.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VINTAGE-BREITLIN ... 286.c0.m14

Post subject: Re: Aviation Cosmonaute
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:11 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
It's technically not a Breitling.

It's a copy of an 809 Cosmonaute produced by O&W with genuine Breitling parts after the 1978 bankruptcy. I'm not an expert on these so no real idea on value - significantly less than if it had the Breitling name on it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:33 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

The seller is perhaps excused for using Breitling in the listing title, as there is certainly a historical link which you can easily search on the web.

I ordered an AVIATION 6801 (based on the big case Chronomatic 1806) from Mr Wajs himself about a month ago. Australia Post forged my signature and left it outside my apartment – Australia Post has admitted liability and I’m waiting for the seller to be refunded so he can send me a replacement. What a saga – I’m sure we can all appreciate what a bummer it is to spend months researching a watch, have it sent from Zurich, and then have it stolen outside your front door because of a moron delivery guy.

I’m not into these emoticons, but hey… :guns: :guns: :guns:

Anyway, from what I gather, the AVIATION chronographs are generally of very high quality and directly comparable to the equivalent Breitlings from the mid to late seventies. I can’t imagine they have the same quality as modern Breitlings, as they are a much smaller company. But bearing in mind that Breitling had some quality control issues in the mid to late seventies just prior to the bankruptcy (as any company would), I wouldn’t be surprised if overall the AVIATIONs are even better.

As for value, new/NOS AVIATION chronographs tend to range from 20-40% less than an equivalent mint Breitling which has been recently serviced. I suspect the discount would be higher for an AVIATION like this one in comparison to a Breitling which has also had moderate wear as indicated by the pictures. I love the vintage Breitling designs, but can’t deal with patina and the whole vibe of someone else’s accumulated sweat etc – so I wouldn’t buy this watch. But as a rough guide, I’d maybe pay 50% of the cheapest Cosmonaught price you see on Ebay…

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:52 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks Carlos,

still not sure what to do, saving up for a new navi is going to put on hold all the other purchases. there are so many vintage/military watches i love. might just have to wait a few more years for the navi. In the mean time stock up on used watches I love and will probably buy anyway oneday.

Australia Post are a joke.

Cheers.