The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:05 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I'm new to vintage Breitlings and stumbled across this nice looking Top Time from the 1960s which caught my eye based purely on looks alone. The seller states that it is Geneve Top Time Chronograph with Rare Black Dial and Three White Sub-Dials. It is detailed as being the original dial, hands, case and crown and that the model number is 810. The movement is a Manual Winding (Venus).

As I know nothing about these watches and have not come up with much searching online I was wondering if it looked like a good example or if it is a refurb or, even worse, a frankenwatch? Also, what sort of questions should I be asking the dealer and what sort of price do these things go for (I'm UK Based)?

I've asked already for a photo of the mechanism and details of any serial numbers. I've noticed there are no serial numbers on the back of the case, which seems add as other Top Times I've seen online have had these.

Thanks!

Attachment:
101a-normal.jpg

Attachment:
101f-normal.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:18 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Well it looks like it could be an 810 from the dial layout. To be sure that it's right I would like the seller to provide:

A better dial photo
A photo of the caseback showing the model and serial numbers
A photo of the movement

While they have the caseback off a photo of the inside of the caseback would also be helpful, but not as important on this model where the serial number should be on the outside.

I'm not completely convinced that the hands are original, and the condition of the dial looks very good which is always slightly suspicious when claimed to be original, but let's reserve judgement until we have a better photo. Nothing rare about the dial colour.

Incidentally, there are some 810s on page 20 here (including one similar to this) - http://www.breitlingsource.com/books_1969.shtml

Correct movement will be a Venus 179 and value, well not particularly high - maybe GBP500 or so depending on what we learn from better photos.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:24 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
I sold my gold cased 810 a few months ago for $1200 (it was almost mint). I think the stainless models bring slightly more and the black dial version will add to that since they're more popular at the moment.

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:56 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Roffensian/Vintage - thanks both of you for your replies. I have attached a better photo of the dial. It looks to me to be in pretty good condition although a couple of the subdials are showing some wear. Is there a chance it may have been refurbed?

I've asked the dealer for details of any serial numbers and also some photos of the mechanism, which I will add once he sends them to me.

Annoyingly, the dealer's starting price is nearly double the GBP500 suggested above which makes me think it is over-priced, a shame really as I quite like the watch.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:28 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
The dial may have some restoration, but may simply be a good cleaning - nothing suspicious that I can see. Paul's value of $1,200 or so was slightly higher than mine - so say GBP 500 - 700 or so. You will always pay more through dealers because they have to make their markup, when we talk about valuations that generally equates to auction pricing.