The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:04 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Well folks, I was just reading everybodys into new Breitlings....exept me.
I Just found the watch last weekend and I´m over the moon about it.
Attachment:
Breitling M1 (Large) (Medium).JPG
Attachment:
Breitling inside back (Large) (Medium).JPG
Attachment:
Breitling D (Large) (Medium).JPG
[attachment=1]Breitling D (Large) (Medium).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:43 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Very nice watch, though I have to be honest, I don't think it's as early as claimed. I think that the caseback has been donated by another watch. I'm not overly familiar with the casebacks on these, but 1939 serial is very, very early for this model, and I don't think that the 3 minute chrono markings would be on a pre war piece.

I'm also used to seeing these with a telemetre scale, but there likely were variations. Glad that you like your new acquisition - definitely a nice piece.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:43 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Roffensian wrote:
Very nice watch, though I have to be honest, I don't think it's as early as claimed. I think that the caseback has been donated by another watch. I'm not overly familiar with the casebacks on these, but 1939 serial is very, very early for this model, and I don't think that the 3 minute chrono markings would be on a pre war piece.

I'm also used to seeing these with a telemetre scale, but there likely were variations. Glad that you like your new acquisition - definitely a nice piece.

Hi Roffnsian,
thanks for your reply, have a look and see what you think of the opinion of someone else in another forum;
http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?p=90581

Agree or disagree?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:08 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
More or less agree with Bill.

The 174 is definitely a round pusher model - not a doubt in my mind, there may have been square variants as well, but I've never seen one - another Richter error.

It is a 14 ligne movement, but Bills out in his size conversion, 14 ligne is just over 31 1/2mm. These are big case models for their time, which is why you have the ring around the movement so that it fits well in the case and it's why the subdials are pushed to the centre. That's a conscious design decision to alloe for the scales around the outside. I also agree on the various dial versions, as I said last evening the ones that I have seen have telemetre scales, but don't think that this is wrong per se.

The serial number issue is a little more up in the air. 1944 and 563569 is absolutely correct for the sequential records, but even before then there is some indication of age - the earlier the serial the generally earlier the watch. Also bear in mind that very few watches were produced during the war years because most production was on timepieces for military aircraft.

The unsigned movement is definitely period correct, and I agree with Bill that the dial and hands are original. I have a slightly different view on restoration - to me, if you want it cleaned up then there is no problem in doing so - it's your watch. Some collectors will pay more for original condition, some will pay more for a sympathetically restored piece - and we have a member here who can do it for you. It really comes down to personal preference.

I'm not as convinced as Bill that the caseback is original - I don't see evidence that the model and serial were added later - if they were then it was a good job, but the caseback is completely out of place for the era. If I had to guess then I would suggest a factory replacement at some point.

I noticed the numbers on the inside of the casebcack and the movement ring but I have absolutely no idea what it represents. It's more evidence that the caseback was 'officially' married to the watch (or is indeed original), but what it represents is completely beyond me.