Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A cheap pick up...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:31 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
Now.. I know it's from South America... but it's one of those 50's dresswatches that I like... looks okay to me... and the BIN is cheap...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

Any opinions?

Post subject: Re: A cheap pick up...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:53 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 1 post
No matter how convincing or cheap it may be, I would never buy from South America.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:09 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Agree with Sharky on South America.

Not an expert on these, but I don't like it. Apart from the fact that the movement has been attacked by a watchmaker with fewer skills than me (look at those scratches!) I think that the logos have been added to a no name watch - the B on the caseback in particular doesn't look quite right - the bottom loop of the B shouldn't meet the upright.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:39 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

The scratches on the movement I did see... what kinda raised the red flag for me was the "Bidynator" on the rotor...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:30 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

jlee5050 wrote:
The scratches on the movement I did see... what kinda raised the red flag for me was the "Bidynator" on the rotor...

I need to do more research on these early automatics, they seem to be coming up more often and it's not a part of the market that I have ever looked into. I have no idea whether the bidynator is right or wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Wow, actually a nice watch out of South America. Correct Felsa movement, case looks right, dial looks right, serial number says 1956. Buy it before I do. :) The only thing a little worrisome is that he's selling a gold Breitling that does have some issues.

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:49 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

vintage wrote:
Wow, actually a nice watch out of South America. Correct Felsa movement, case looks right, dial looks right, serial number says 1956. Buy it before I do. :) The only thing a little worrisome is that he's selling a gold Breitling that does have some issues.

Paul

It's so odd because everytime you log out from ebay, you know how you always get these "suggested items you might like" section on the webpage?

I can now see how people can buy movements now and "alter" them... I found a bunch of them Felsa 692s with no Breitling inscription on the rotor...

The "Bidynator" on the rotor didn't look 100% right... something about the "B" in Bidynator...

scary... :brewing:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

jlee5050 wrote:
It's so odd because everytime you log out from ebay, you know how you always get these "suggested items you might like" section on the webpage?

I can now see how people can buy movements now and "alter" them... I found a bunch of them Felsa 692s with no Breitling inscription on the rotor...

The "Bidynator" on the rotor didn't look 100% right... something about the "B" in Bidynator...

scary... :brewing:

"1942 Felsa introduces a production bi-directional rotor winding system in the "Bidynator" caliber." The Bidynator name was used by Felsa on lots of different brand movements. If you look at the 'B" in Bidynator on most of the other Felsa 690 series watches you can find it looks the same. There seems to be no ryhme or reason for all the different variations of writing on the rotor over the years but the Felsa 690 series was in production for a good while starting in 1942 up through the early sixties. There are variations of 17 jewel, 19 jewel, 21 jewel, 25 jewel, and 30 jewel. Some are marked with the watch brand on the rotor and some aren't. There's no consistancy with just the Breitling brand for example. So, yes it would be easy to add Breitling to a Bidynator rotor that happened to be blank however I don't think anyone could say, without a doubt, that it was done that way unless it was just a sloppy job. My indications are the Bidynator 692 was an expensive movement in it's day and the watch probably would have cost over $100 in the fifties.

Paul

Last edited by vintage on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:57 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Really not terribly into these early autos, but presumably there was a premium in those days on this technology Paul?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:04 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

That is why you are the man Paul~! :D

And you too Roff~! :lol:

Much thanks for the insight~ Good to know for the future!

Post subject: It came in today
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Actually looks pretty good in person. I changed the strap to a nice Hirsch gator pattern I had laying aorund. I don't like the replacement crown on it and will have that changed out to a more suitable one but the rest of it looks authentic even down to some staining on the dial. Worth the money imho. Was planning to give to the wife but it might be too big for her.... 8)

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:33 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

So you were the one that got it~! :lol: I was like, "awww it ended" when I went to check it out again... nice purchase...

By the way Paul, what I really regret though was your ref. 1450 that you sold on ebay... :cry: I really liked that one...

Fortunately there is another one for auction right now as of this writing... of course it looks identical to the one you had and I thought it for a sec maybe the guy you sold it to is reselling it again... and then I forgot you had a bracelet on it instead of the strap.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

jlee5050 wrote:
By the way Paul, what I really regret though was your ref. 1450 that you sold on ebay... :cry: I really liked that one...

Fortunately there is another one for auction right now as of this writing... of course it looks identical to the one you had and I thought it for a sec maybe the guy you sold it to is reselling it again... and then I forgot you had a bracelet on it instead of the strap.

Yep, sold the 1450 to a guy in the UK and he complained about the customs duty. Geez, don't people realize that sometimes you pay duty on that stuff? I don't like sending them overseas undervalued on the Customs form so it is what it is. I saw that other 1450 and thought the same at first. I sold mine with both the bracelet and a strap.