Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 1809 COSMONAUTE
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:30 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I have a new in box Navitimer/Cosmonaute 1809 that was purchased on 27 July 1971. Not exactly sure which to call it Navitimer or Cosmonaute. It is Serial Number 1350252. There is another number on the back (DDE. BR 11525/67) which I am not sure what means. It is still complete, unworn in the original box with all of the original paperwork. My father is thinking of parting with the watch to help pay some medical bills. I have no clue as to the year of manufacture (only date of purchase on the certification papers) or the value of this pristine watch.

I also noticed that the crown of the watch is on the left side with what looks to be a plug on the the right where the crown generally is. Not sure why this is. There are two pushers (i think this is the name) on the right hand side.

Can anyone help me with the answer to these questions?

Thankyou in advance for you help/support.

Post subject: Re: 1809 COSMONAUTE
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:10 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

I believe the Cosmonaute is one of the watches under the Navitimer collection... but I noticed collectors call it by just Cosmonaute...

As far as the serial # and other inquiries go, you'll have to wait for the professor (aka Roffensian) to come along very shortly and help you with that... :D

Sorry to hear about your father's medical bills... But if you say it is in mint condition with original box, I wouldn't be able to give you a dollar figure but it would be definitely worth some serious coin. Check out my other topic in the vintage section titled " I wanna cry" :D... I posted a similar example that is for sale currently on ebay... it's not the same watch as yours but it's from a similar era and this one's got the original box and it is in mint (if not new) condition... we're all speculating that it'll reach about 3 maybe 4K when the auction ends... like I said, I don't know what the going rate is for an mint NOS condition 809 cosmonaute but nice watch regardless... good luck...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:37 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Ok then......

Basic rule of thumb - 806 is a Navitimer, 809 is a Cosmonaute - essentially the same as the 806 but with a 24 hour dial. Some of the early Cosmonautes were called Navitimers, but the rule of thumb is generally true. The addition of the 1 before the model number (i.e. 1806, 1809) is an indication that it's the automatic, chrono-matic based model. That's why you get the left hand crown. The DDE/BR 11525/67 is a reference to the 1967 patent that was issued for the case and cogged bezel mechanism that helps improve water resistance.

The serial number for this one dates it to 1970, consistent with a 1971 purchase date. Now, value. I am never very happy valuing pieces sight unseen, but let's assume that this watch truly is in 'new' condition. That brings up another problem with valuations - it's hard to find a comparable because there aren't too many new 40 year old watches.

If it's presented with some good photos on eBay I wouldn't be hugely surprised to see it get to $5,000, but really - the market will decide with pieces like this.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:10 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
Does it have a leather strap, or a bracelet? Are the numerals in the date window red, or black? More factors in estimating the value. A bracelet would enhance the value. The 1809 started with black numerals on the date, then changed to red. During the transition, they used whatever was in the bin. A black date in a 1970 watch would be quite rare. In any event, the watch should generate considerable interest at auction. :D

The condition of the gaskets is a factor in deciding whether or not to open the case to take pictures of the movement. I have a 1969 1809 Cosmo. When I opened the case (I'm a watchmaker), the case gasket, pusher gaskets and crown gasket had all deteriorated into a soft gelatin state. :shock: It took a lot of careful work to remove the old gaskets. If it were me, I would leave the case intact and take some good closeup pictures of the front and back along with the box, papers, etc. Whoever purchases it should get it serviced if they intend to wear it, so the gasket problem can be dealt with then.

Good luck with the sale and I hope your father's medical condition improves!

Super Avenger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:32 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Not sure what pictures anyone would like to see. Here are a few that I just took to share for additional information. Not much on close photos... It has not been out of my fathers safe deposit box in 30+ years. As you can tell from the pictures, new in Box, never worn, pristine and simply a beautiful watch. Outter cardboard box that protects the plastic watch box and all paperwork is entact, looks like red date numbers, black leather band. I hope this helps you see more about the watch itself. Any additional questions? I will try to respond.

Please any additional feedback / advice on this would be great...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:16 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I stand by what I said before. Not really surprising to see red numbers, the serial is late 1970 so black was pretty uncommon by then.

You are welcome to try and sell it in the buy / sell / trade section - the rules / guidelines are in that section, but there aren't many vintage collectors so you may not get the best price here - it's a nice watch, but I personally wouldn't pay the premium for NOS on this watch.

eBay will expose you to the best market, but if you can get some help with some really good quality photos it will help make this watch stand out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Nice! Look for $2200-$2600 on ebay at the current market. Maybe a little more since it's nos. The problem with the Cosmonauts is you have to want a 24 hour watch. Most people can't get used to them and prefer the 12 hour Navitimers. This has always seemed to keep the prices down.

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:15 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the watch has the all black bezel that was used very early in production. My 1969 has the bezel with the metal edges. I'm surprised to see a later one with the earlier bezel. Oh well, I guess it goes back to what was in the bin when it was assembled. This makes it a little more rare, but probably won't change the price. As was stated earlier, there are not a lot of zealous Cosmo collectors out there. :|

Super Avenger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:15 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hope everyone had a nice 4th... Black bezel it has. Just wanted to say "Thanks" for all of the replys to my post. Any further responses are always welcome. I will try to get some better pic's before I try to see it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:14 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

vintage wrote:
Nice! Look for $2200-$2600 on ebay at the current market. Maybe a little more since it's nos. The problem with the Cosmonauts is you have to want a 24 hour watch. Most people can't get used to them and prefer the 12 hour Navitimers. This has always seemed to keep the prices down.

Paul

Gorgeous watch – and I think that’s too low.

I can give some guidance on the current market – simply because I have just recently purchased an Ollech & Wajs AVIATION 6081, which is a very similar piece, but made from old Breitling stock/more recently manufactured parts using old Breitling tooling. I really dig the orange hands of the Cosmonaught and wouldn’t find the 24 hour dial objectionable.

I paid about $2,200 US for the O&W – from the old boy himself in Zurich, Mr Wajs, and he is including two leather bands, a bracelet and some technical info on the movement. My view of comparing the pricing of the two is a balance:

• The O&W comes with a warranty and has recently been serviced, and for me, dealing with an octogenarian in Zurich and being sent technical info is cool, and a big part of the enjoyment in collecting watches.

• But, the AVIATION 6081 doesn’t bear the Breitling brand – I’ll stand to be corrected by Roff, but I reckon the market would probably say that’s worth a couple of grand. I personally don’t think it should be, and I like to think of the O&W as being more a ‘hand-made’ and hence more desirable piece, but I recognise that’s my personal view, and probably doesn’t reflect the market.

About a year ago, I saw a NOS 1809 in a shop in Australia – the sticker price was approximately $7,000 USD. I’m not sure if it had recently been serviced, which is at least a $500 question – let’s assume it had been. At any rate, with a bit of haggling, it probably went for no more than $6,000 USD. But that’s in a flash shop in far away Sydney.

For me personally, as a recent buyer of a very similar watch - in the circumstances, I would have calculated how much I’d be prepared to pay for you father’s 1809 in comparison to the O&W as follows:

O&W 6081: $2200
Plus Breilting Brand: $2000
Minus servicing $ 500
Minus risk of ebay purchase $ 500

Price $3200

So, balancing that personal calculation with the estimated $6,000 shop price and the tough current market, I think you should hold out for at least $4,000 USD for your Dad’s pristine 1809 Cosmonaught.