Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 1809 Cosmonaute
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:13 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum so please excuse stupid newbie tricks. I recently acquired an early 1809 Cosmonaute. The s/n is 1319538. I'm guessing it's one of the very early ones, but I don't know where the numbers start for this model. It currently has a replacement leather strap. I know the watches of that era came with either a leather strap or a bracelet. One of my questions is; was the deployant clasp available back then? I would like to replace it with a period correct Breitling leather strap, but I like the ability to make fine adjustments with the clasp. I know any AD can get me the strap, but I also plan to send the watch to BUSA for maintenance. I have no idea when it was last serviced. Although I'm a watchmaker, I'm not about to go into the aftermarket parts hunting jungle. I much prefer to let BUSA work on it even though it will be somewhat expensive. I will probably let them replace the strap at the same time.

Anyway, I'm also a pilot and the watch will not just sit on the shelf. I will fly with it. I've always wanted one of these!

To me, the holy grail is the limited edition 100th Anniversary of Flight Navitimer that they made only 100 of. I probably wouldn't fly with that one!

Super Avenger

Post subject: Re: 1809 Cosmonaute
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:17 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Serial number dates to 1969 - so obviously is early.

I don't know when the deployant was first introduced, but have never seen it on anything close to this early.

I'm glad to hear that you want to stay true to Breitling parts, but you will find that BUSA no longer do the work themselves. They'll refer you to Mark Heist at Horological Services - http://www.horologicalservices.com/

Some of the best work that I have ever seen, with appropriate prices, and an approximately 1 year waiting list.

Don't know of any of the 100 years of flight Navis - I knew of a NOS Montbrillant 100 years (the one year special edition) last year which may still be available, but the others are rarer than hens' teeth.

Most importantly - welcome to BreitlingSource.