The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:34 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
Have people lost interest in Breitling, or is it just this forum? I admit that I have been away for a while, playing in the world of Rolex, but I was amazed at how few recent posts there are on not only this "general" forum but the "for sale" as well. What's going on? Or more accurately, what's not going on?

Color me sad and disappointed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:12 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Me too! I've owned three Breitling Navitmers - a Montbrillant, an 81600, and my latest - a '66 806 Twin Jet with Breitling Service Replacement Dial. I went back and read EVERY SINGLE thread/post in the Vintage Breitling section - there is a clear and present paradigm shift in the attitude(s) and responses to newcomers from "then" to "now"; not in a GOOD way IMHO. Regrettable...

Having said that, this is not uncommon of MOST online forums - many have a "half life" of ~5 years. Maybe it's just like any other "courtship"; to wit: Initial excitement, lots of love & kisses, settling into "familiarity" - then the sniping and snarkiness starts. It's hard to keep the flame alive, no matter WHAT the venue; more difficult when it's just a small part of your overall raison d'etre...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:06 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
I disagree, I see a lot of helpful advice being given, welcomes being given to new members and a good level of sales & trades. I have received helpful advice in the recent past. The wwaywt thread is my favourite and the replica identification thread is hugely informative. Members are routinely congratulated on new acquisitions. I am impressed by the level of knowledge and expertise shared by the forum sponsors and mods. I have seen some resistance by members to persistently vexatious posters who make unreasonable demands of the forum but otherwise I enjoy being a member and know that if I have a query or problem I will get an informed and helpful response.

:lingsrock:

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

Last edited by zak57 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hunterfate likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:36 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

This forum use to be extremely active up to about two years ago or so. I must admit that since I moved away from Breitling watches, I didn't frequent this forum as much. It's almost like most of the members did the same thing. I'm glad Roff still posts, even though it seemed he was retiring a year or so ago.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:55 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
In my daily routine going across the forums, this is always still my first stop. There may not be as many posts and active members as there used to be, but this is still my favorite place to stop on a daily basis.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:34 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 8 posts
I am a new member having only joined this past spring. I have been treated pretty well and have had my questions answered in a helpful manner. I come here at least once a day to see if there is new posting activity to read. I have seen some pretty good advice given out here. Johor
Kevin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:50 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I have my own views on how / why this forum isn't like it used to be, but the world moves on. Breitling models today are very different to the models that attracted me and others to here 9 (!) years ago. Different models appeal to a different demographic and a different 'vibe' here. Some of that I am less able to relate to. Social media is also far more advanced than 9 years ago and forums aren't necessarily as important as they once were.

For my own part, I am going through a significant period of change, selling a home in Canada, building a home in the Caribbean and trying to move a business both physically and from a face to face consulting based model to a remote worker / distance consulting model. It means I have far less time and am usually accessing the forum on a phone. I will be leaving here once the transition is complete and I have moved all my watches on - semi-retirement in the Caribbean won't be including this forum because as a moderator for the last few years this has (unfortunately) felt like 'work' a little too often.

5 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:06 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
Roffensian wrote:
I have my own views on how / why this forum isn't like it used to be, but the world moves on. Breitling models today are very different to the models that attracted me and others to here 9 (!) years ago. Different models appeal to a different demographic and a different 'vibe' here. Some of that I am less able to relate to. Social media is also far more advanced than 9 years ago and forums aren't necessarily as important as they once were.

For my own part, I am going through a significant period of change, selling a home in Canada, building a home in the Caribbean and trying to move a business both physically and from a face to face consulting based model to a remote worker / distance consulting model. It means I have far less time and am usually accessing the forum on a phone. I will be leaving here once the transition is complete and I have moved all my watches on - semi-retirement in the Caribbean won't be including this forum because as a moderator for the last few years this has (unfortunately) felt like 'work' a little too often.

I certainly wish you very well sir! Kjow you still will be around for a bit, but thanks for often being the only one to respond and answer questions and for sharing your vast knowledge.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:55 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
This is where I started in the whole watch forum/blog world, now over 5 years ago. I can only speak for myself, each has their own experience, but I'll offer the following:

1. Breitling changed-- If the product changes in a way you don't like, it's harder to be a regular contributor in a forum focused on that product. I jumped in a time when all sorts of people were waxing poetically about their SuperOcean Chronos, Chronomat Evos and Steelfish (which was about to be discontinued, a precursor perhaps). That's not even considering the staple Navitimers and other pieces. People, even then, were freely and happily talking about all their "other" watches too, a by-product of being here which was welcomed by all, and some were buying and selling different ones (did a few myself) at a pretty rapid rate. Then some popular models were discontinued, the replacements were not as well received, and the rough introduction of the B01 movement came along. Since then came more models again not universally loved, and the again-rough introduction of the B50. Also, and B01 related, the price tag for Breitlings moved up, into a more-crowded and highly competitive market. I don't remember the numbers but as I recall, sales have been down. Right now there are a few Breitlings I like, but nothing approaching the lineup 5 years ago. I still consider this the place to go if I ever get up the courage to go vintage, but when you look only towards past watches and not to future, it's going to be a smaller crowd.

2. People change-- What I liked and wanted in a watch was different 5 years ago. My tastes ran bigger, and Breitling fit that need so well. But then they got even bigger. 41.7mm Navitimers became 43mm, then 46 and 47. 40 and 41mm models of any type were few and 38s were called ladies watches. While that happened, my tasted trended smaller, and thinner. From what I read, I'm not alone. On top of that, lives change. Roff mentioned the evolution of his work life. Mine has been nonstop crazy the past two years. With that and funding with two in College, it's been 'run silent, run deep' time. I know of a couple other retirements, health changes and in general changes in interest with active members here.

I don't have as much time these days for the watch fora, and frankly there's not a new Breitling out there right now which really grabs my attention, but I still consider this place "home". I still come here first. There are still wonderful people who stop by, some frequently, some less often, and if I had a question about any watch this is still where I'd come. I may not have much to report on the watch front these days, but I still drop in.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:58 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
Scott, you've said it perfectly for me. I've been around a similar length of time (7yrs) and while I still enjoy the forum, Breitling isn't the brand it was. Also, people come and go (what ever happened to Sharkman??!!) and life moves on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:13 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Scott wrote:
This is where I started in the whole watch forum/blog world, now over 5 years ago. I can only speak for myself, each has their own experience, but I'll offer the following:

1. Breitling changed-- If the product changes in a way you don't like, it's harder to be a regular contributor in a forum focused on that product. I jumped in a time when all sorts of people were waxing poetically about their SuperOcean Chronos, Chronomat Evos and Steelfish (which was about to be discontinued, a precursor perhaps). That's not even considering the staple Navitimers and other pieces. People, even then, were freely and happily talking about all their "other" watches too, a by-product of being here which was welcomed by all, and some were buying and selling different ones (did a few myself) at a pretty rapid rate. Then some popular models were discontinued, the replacements were not as well received, and the rough introduction of the B01 movement came along. Since then came more models again not universally loved, and the again-rough introduction of the B50. Also, and B01 related, the price tag for Breitlings moved up, into a more-crowded and highly competitive market. I don't remember the numbers but as I recall, sales have been down. Right now there are a few Breitlings I like, but nothing approaching the lineup 5 years ago. I still consider this the place to go if I ever get up the courage to go vintage, but when you look only towards past watches and not to future, it's going to be a smaller crowd.

2. People change-- What I liked and wanted in a watch was different 5 years ago. My tastes ran bigger, and Breitling fit that need so well. But then they got even bigger. 41.7mm Navitimers became 43mm, then 46 and 47. 40 and 41mm models of any type were few and 38s were called ladies watches. While that happened, my tasted trended smaller, and thinner. From what I read, I'm not alone. On top of that, lives change. Roff mentioned the evolution of his work life. Mine has been nonstop crazy the past two years. With that and funding with two in College, it's been 'run silent, run deep' time. I know of a couple other retirements, health changes and in general changes in interest with active members here.

I don't have as much time these days for the watch fora, and frankly there's not a new Breitling out there right now which really grabs my attention, but I still consider this place "home". I still come here first. There are still wonderful people who stop by, some frequently, some less often, and if I had a question about any watch this is still where I'd come. I may not have much to report on the watch front these days, but I still drop in.

:yeahthat Pretty much spot-on for me too in many ways. I've been a member here for 9 years now (and a moderator for the vast majority of that time) and things have definitely changed over that time. Some good, some not so good (IMO), but that's just the evolution of the forum over time I guess.

On a personal note Breitling have definitely left me behind in recent years with a huge number of their designs. There was a time when I'd literally drool over the Chronolog and their Baselworld offerings, but now I tend to struggle to find a single new Breitling that I'd like to own. That, coupled with less available time due to work commitments and a couple of other priorities in life, has meant that I've spent considerably less time here than I used to. But that said, this place is still my "spiritual home" when it comes to watch fora, and it's still a pleasure to be part of this community. :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

Damnfoolman likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:38 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
vintage point of view :

what happened ? , people have moved on from fora to 'social media' , nothing wrong with that but it does impact the traffic here
IMO fora are still the best way to share knowledge and info but people move on to other venues

and p.s.
we and the current breitling company do a horrible job advertising ourselves , the (vintage) breitling name and watches and the history / legacy the brand has
unlike (for example) Heuer and Omega 'our' brand lags big time .. both in collectability and prices . and why is that ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:58 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
I joined almost 3 years ago after deciding to increase the # of watches in my rotation. At the time my watch collection ranged from a Rolex Daytona in G/SS, down to a Casio Pathfinder, and included 2 older Breitlings (circa 1994 and 2001). The Breitlings were always among my most favored and got more than their fair share of wrist time, and thus became the "go to" brand for a few new watches.

This forum was excellent for updating me on the brand and almost convinced me to add watches to my hobby list. I purchased 3 Breitlings in the last 3 years thanks to the people and information on this forum. However, watches didn't make the cut for a new hobby or avocation. I need hobbies where I can customize, tinker and fix things - and alas watches can't provide that for me. My relevant knowledge (too small), tools (too big), eyesight (too weak) and small motor skills (to gross) make maintaining and fixing watches impossible for me. Customizing a watch (except for straps) makes it a Franken and the owner pariah in watch circles. So my Jaguar F-Type S, my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and a few other hobbies have provided better immersion for me. Customizing is a celebrated activity in my select hobbies, and we're not forced to go to an AD for repairs, maintenance and parts.

This forum was a wonderful and friendly resource for me while expanding my rotation. However the forums for my active hobbies are consuming my full allocation of screen time so Breitling Source Forum is (sadly) falling off the table and will be missed.

Roff is an amazing resource and moderator for the forum; his contributions will be missed as he scales back. Thanks Roff, your knowledge and guidance were major reasons that kept me coming back....and your patience for moderating is much more than I could have mustered to the task.

I suspect others come and then go for similar reasons.

Regards to all,
Desert Hiker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:32 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Scott wrote:

VERY WELL SAID Scott. Tough to add too much more, since you're spot-on in so many talking points.

My first real watch was (and still is one of my favorites) blue dial Chronomat; one of the classiest bracelets as well. I would not dare swap it for a leather strap.

In fact I own a Sub-C, Omega LE Planet Ocean and a Panerai 104; and my Breitling still gets the most compliments from strangers when out on the town. But with Breitling shifting in their design & size and three kids entering college my needs have to be more focused and time has shrunk as well.

Anyway....very nice post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I'm so happy to see his thread... I think many of us miss the constant traffic in this forum, I know I do. And I also know I am responsible too. Life began to get busy two years ago for me, I began to shift my tastes, Breitling started making crappy designs and then selling inside Macy's. All these things have pushed me away from the brand a bit. But they were always my first luxury watch purchase and I still love them.
I guess even watches put aside, I miss the fun daily conversations with so many people here in the group.
Things change, we evolve. All I can do is play my part and try to pop in a bit more.
:)