The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:56 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Modern life can be stressful, but it's often the really tiny and insignificant things that can irritate the most, so I just thought I'd start a thread to give us all an opportunity to get those "first world problems" that really annoy us off our chests! :D

Is there something in life that really winds you up? Something that's a real thorn in your side that just drives you mad? Something that you've just got to shout and rant about? If so, then this is the thread for you to vent and rant to your heart's content!

I guess it could be watch related, but equally it could be that it really bugs you that Mars Bars aren't as big as you remember as a kid! Maybe you have a massive issue in restaurants with waiters who ask you if you want a table for two when there's clearly only two of you there! Whatever it is, then this is the place to tell the world about it!

Just a couple of rules though -

When you post on this thread, please remember -
1. No personal attacks on members.
2. Keep anything you post safe for work.
3. Keep it legal!

As readers of this thread -
4. Provided the above rules are adhered to, then don't take things in this thread too personally : it's meant to be a bit of fun (with a bit of edge to it of course!), so if people want to berate BMW drivers (of which I am one!) then go ahead as I for one won't be offended (not too much anyway!).

So with that in mind, rant away! :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:57 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

OK I'll start!

People who say, "Ask any questions you want" on eBay sales and then don't reply to you when you ask them a question!

That just winds me up like you wouldn't believe! I tend to assume that if someone is selling something on ebay, then they want to sell the damn thing! If selling it means answering a few questions, then for god's sake b**dy answer them! If I ask something and don't get a reply to start off with, I usually wait a few days before mailing again (just in case they're away or something). If I still don't get a reply, I ramp up the number of messages to at least once a day....and I keep it going, even though by that point I'd have no intention of buying a damn thing from them anyway!

And it's not just eBay. I'm currently emailing a particular company DAILY in an effort just to get a reply to a very simple question I've asked them! I mean, honestly, how unprofessional is it for a company to just NOT REPLY to a paying customer who has purchased from them in the past???? Even more annoyingly I still actually want to buy something from them as I like their products (they will remain nameless here), but unprofessionalism like this just winds me up beyond words! It's like, don't you want my money? Are you sooooo successful you can just totally disregard me as a customer?!?!?? ARRRGGGHHH!!!

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:11 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Here's another one from me -

The 4:30 date window on watches! Why? WHY? It's an absolutely hideous position as it totally screws up the symmetry of every single watch I've ever seen it on. I can almost understand tricompax chronographs having the 4:30 date due to the position of the subdials (although Omega somehow manage to still fit it in at 6 on their 3313 models), but even then the data wheel needs to be dial-coloured and as unobtrusive as possible.

But the absolute worst of the lot are those simple three-hand watches (often produced by micro-brands it seems) with the date at 4:30! I mean, seriously, why do that??? It's not like there are chronograph subdials to get in the way?? And loads of them insist on having a white date wheel too, which basically screams out, "Hey look! I have no design sense whatsoever"!! Hideously ugly and the easiest way to ruin a decent design! Even my beloved Ploprof (with it's very unobtrusive black date wheel) would still look so much better if it was at 3 or better still at 6. There are a number of otherwise nice looking watches that I've refused to buy on account of the date position.

So to all watch manufacturers I say - if you can't put the date somewhere decent, then don't bl**dy bother at all! I'd rather forgo the date altogether and have an attractive dial if it's all the same to you!!!!!

Site Moderator

Dracha likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:18 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
My problem is a GPS that sometimes doesn't know where I am.........

......yes, it's a Jeep kitted out for my off-road needs so it can ford a nice stream, but it doesn't float. We were indeed off-road, but not in the water, and not within the lake's shoreline.

Desert Hiker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:42 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Well......

People who don't like 4:30 date windows - what is up with that?!?

On a slightly more serious note, the number of (predominantly UK) online stores who refuse to accept international credit cards. If I walked into your physical store and handed my card over you would take it, but because I want to order a gift online for my UK based family members you refuse to sell to me - stoooopid.

Also, because in my processional capacity I have a bit of an online presence I get LinkedIn requests from people who have read / heard / seen my work. That goes with the territory, but if I have no idea who you are and you don't customise the request to tell me, don't expect me to accept!

On a similar note, people who feel as though because I have content online (which I am paid to produce) they are somehow entitled to free consulting. I had someone (in the UK) last week who contacted me with an "urgent" request for advice ahead of a meeting she had on Monday and then chased me when I didn't respond within an hour. Here's a thought, either do a better job of preparing for your meeting or pay the fees for my services!

I have many more, but for now let's end with........

People who can't be bothered to read the sales rules and then complain when their threads get moderated. Nuff said.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:07 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Roffensian wrote:
People who can't be bothered to read the sales rules and then complain when their threads get moderated. Nuff said.

The bane of your life, eh Roff? :wink:

Roffensian wrote:
On a slightly more serious note, the number of (predominantly UK) online stores who refuse to accept international credit cards. If I walked into your physical store and handed my card over you would take it, but because I want to order a gift online for my UK based family members you refuse to sell to me - stoooopid.

On a somewhat related note, I just want to say the words "CONUS only".... when seen on a sale/auction!!! :evil:

(Thus far I seem to be the one with the most pet hates! :lol: )

Site Moderator

Hunterfate likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:21 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
Can't think of anything I really hate enough to write about, but.... While the opportunity exists.

I loath unclever spin and the knuckle draggers paid to mouth it. Good Spin, if there is such a thing, is bad enough (and there seems to be an army of Idiots well suited to the job), but the ones I dislike the most are those half wits who know you know they are conning you, but keep on talking just the same. They don't know when to give up. Eventually burying themselves in enough BS until all you can do in response is laugh. Perhaps that's the strategy.

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:32 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

P51 wrote:
Can't think of anything I really hate enough to write about, but.... While the opportunity exists.

I loath unclever spin and the knuckle draggers paid to mouth it. Good Spin, if there is such a thing, is bad enough (and there seems to be an army of Idiots well suited to the job), but the ones I dislike the most are those half wits who know you know they are conning you, but keep on talking just the same. They don't know when to give up. Eventually burying themselves in enough BS until all you can do in response is laugh. Perhaps that's the strategy.

Welcome to British politics! :wink: :lol:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:23 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
Diversity and Inclusion plus this Political Correctness BS.
Don't get me started, apparently there is a word count limit per post on this forum.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:25 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Driver8 wrote:
On a somewhat related note, I just want to say the words "CONUS only".... when seen on a sale/auction!!! :evil:

(Thus far I seem to be the one with the most pet hates! )

I fully agree to that - it has been plenty of watches over the years that would have been sold to me without those words...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:50 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
Feedback!! Almost everything I buy these days, every insurance policy I buy, almost every website I visit, every time my car is serviced I am asked to give feedback! Or to complete a 'short survey'. Maddening! When I changed my car insurance provider due to a big price increase, the old company wanted feedback. The well known on-line watch web site wants feedback every time I enquire about a watch. My mobile phone company sends texts asking me to rate their response to my latest complaint. If I can be bothered, I leave bad feedback simply because they asked me for feedback.

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
A few things come to my immediate mind:

- Driver's that sit in the overtaking lane at or below the speed limit, often on cruise control, completely oblivious to anything going on around them. The overtaking lane is for overtaking (shock) or those of us that think the speed limit is a guide rather than a rule :twisted: :wink:

- The increase in TV advertisements. Nowadays it's hardly worth watching anything live given at least half of the time is spent watching ads, particularly the golf which I've pretty much stopped watching. Life is just too short, and to me it's not an excuse that the shows need to advertise more to pay for the TV stars;

- Turning on my TV to find that my cable provider has decided to promote forced advertising, so that I can't just turn on cable and watch something, I have to read and exit from some advertising first. Beyond annoying, particularly as you have to pay for cable.

- The continued increase in watch prices, which has pretty much made some brands unaffordable in my opinion. Even if I had/have the money lying around, I'm not sure I could justify buying pieces I considered buying 5 years ago.

- Political Correctness - it's just completely out of control. Enough said :mrgreen:

happy_chapie likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:49 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 10 posts
heres my current list....

Adverts on phones that cover the video you are trying to watch - one particular ad company is awful at this....also when scrolling down, highlighted words keep popping up...argh!

Asking for photos (lets say of a watch I was looking to buy), then deciding not to buy it for whatever reason and being accused of being a a photo junkie.....you know who you are...

People who come into the country as immigrants then go to ISIS to fight.... that's making the news headlines why exactly?! If they want to line themselves up for torture, rape and ultimately death, or attacks on us, why should I be concerned with their welfare?! No one is forcing them to go.

People / kids who swear loudly every other word.

DVLA

Benefits cheats

People who live on benefits rather than making their own way in life.

People who have kids to live on benefits rather making their own was in life.

:yeahthat

add: Political correctness and OTT Health and Safety!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:19 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Not in the right mood to rant, but I'm glad I now know where to!

Thanks for the update.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:10 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 97 posts
For the last few days I swapped cars with my dad. I discovered that I have a pet peeve that up until this week I didn't even know I have: I HATE listening to the regular radio. It's all commercials!

I'll gladly stick to commercial free satellite radio and my CDs!