The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:48 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
I don't. I won't go near a store, except maybe a grocery store, on this day. But I have many friends and some relatives for whom waiting in line at 10pm on Thanksgiving Night has become a frenzied Pilgrimage of sorts. Not criticizing (much anyway), I just can't wrap my brain around it. But my Black Friday friends think I'm nuts for not standing in line for hours and risking death in the crush of doors opening so I can get the new Playstation at half off. I told one guy, "I don't play video games," and he told me,"but you will save $100." I repeated I don't play video games and he was stuck on me saving $100. There was enough of a disconnect to politely end the conversation by brining up the beating the Lions put on the Packers.

So, are you a Black Friday-er? If so, help me to understand. Then maybe next year I can post on social media at 3am, "Whoa, I kicked ass and saved $600!" Really, if I'm missing out, I need to know. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:03 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
My wife does it, at this point as much for the " thrill of the hunt" as anything. Out at about 3:30 or4, even if its to get the freshest poinsettias at Home Depot. Back when the newest game console was the big thing for the kids she did save us a lot of money, largely because so many accessories were "bundled" with the console. As always, if you don't need it, no sense getting it, but old habits die hard. Me, I participated maybe once, when she couldn't be two places at once. My ritual today will be going to a sports bar to watch my alma mater football team play-- I can yell at the television undeterred, with similarly afflicted souls.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:09 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
Its pretty much the last thing in the world I would want to do today.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:11 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
It's starting to become a big thing here in Canada as stores try to stop people from going across the border to shop and malls are opening earlier as a result (although not quite US hours). Personally I won't be anywhere near a mall, although I did manage to save $23 online for something that I would have bought anyway!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:13 am 

Funny you should mention poinsettias, Scott. Wednesday I drove by...a Christmas tree lot. Two days before Thanksgiving! They will be brown a week before Christmas. I have a neighbor whose Christmas lights have been up for three weeks!

I don't know when Black Friday began, but when I was a kid (back in the days when Alexander The Great was still kicking ass and taking names - for you, Roff) the Friday after Thanksgiving was a day to visit the large department stores to see the decorations. In Chicago, we would walk down the sidewalk to see the window displays. No one bought a thing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:19 am 

Maybe I should do a Black Friday Montbrillant sale. Save $100! "But I can't really afford it." "No! You can't afford NOT to save $100!"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:59 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 63 posts
I think Cyber Monday has equally good sales at the convenience of your home. Click and shop is way cooler instead of waiting in lines :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:11 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
Do higher end stores take part? if you were going to buy a Breitling anyway, could you get a better deal than you would normally (with haggling for a discount)? We don't have black friday here. Post Xmas sales come pretty close.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:00 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
I live Black Friday.

I do business in a mall. I just pulled a 21 hour shift (Midnight to 9pm). (Well in one hour it'll be 21 hours)

Personally it doesn't help much of the rest of the mall as the anchor stores get most of the action anyway. Usually people pick up what they came for and they go home to snooze. Most of my business is during the daytime and evening.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:43 pm 

jlee5050 wrote:
I live Black Friday.

I do business in a mall. I just pulled a 21 hour shift (Midnight to 9pm). (Well in one hour it'll be 21 hours)

Personally it doesn't help much of the rest of the mall as the anchor stores get most of the action anyway. Usually people pick up what they came for and they go home to snooze. Most of my business is during the daytime and evening.

Twenty one hours? Hats off to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:44 pm 

Novacastrian wrote:
Do higher end stores take part? if you were going to buy a Breitling anyway, could you get a better deal than you would normally (with haggling for a discount)? We don't have black friday here. Post Xmas sales come pretty close.

I doubt it. It's more the popular lower ticket items that folks line up for - like a 5000" TV for $99.99. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
Ten years ago I was all into Black Friday deals, I would fight crowds at 5am to save $10 on crap I didn't need. Now, you couldn't pay me to go out on thanksgiving or Black Friday. When I want an iPad I buy it, when I want a new tv I buy it, when I want a new ling I call shark; I don't need to wait for BF to buy something so I get a gift card to target for more crap. Waiting on lines to save a few bucks isn't worth my time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:52 pm 

mfserge wrote:
Ten years ago I was all into Black Friday deals, I would fight crowds at 5am to save $10 on crap I didn't need. Now, you couldn't pay me to go out on thanksgiving or Black Friday. When I want an iPad I buy it, when I want a new tv I buy it, when I want a new ling I call shark; I don't need to wait for BF to buy something so I get a gift card to target for more crap. Waiting on lines to save a few bucks isn't worth my time.

Tell us how you really feel. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:30 pm 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 1005 posts
No lines for me. I shop at home online, unless there is some last minute thing I forgot. But usually I try not too. It's too stressful when there are a billion people shoulder to shoulder and everyone is fighting for a deal on few items. Not my style for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:36 pm 

No lines at the car Audio store today. Got my daughter's new car stereo and picked one up for myself. Mine's installed and hers will be after Christmas. Different models, mine's nicer. ;) Next year I need to get her something I might not want. This is the second year in a row this has happened! It's an affliction.