The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:48 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
My understanding is that if you ask a telemarketer to put you on their do not call list they must do so. Every single day I get calls telling me how I can lower the interest rate on my credit card, which is pretty idiotic since I couldn't care less if my interest rate is 100% - I pay my bill off in full every time.

Isn't there a way to get telemarketers fined? I honestly don't care if I even get the money from the fine, I just want them to get hurt in the wallet.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:09 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 18 posts
I've heard the same thing but haven't done anything about it. I just stopped answering 800 numbers or hang up if I answer, say hello, and get no prompt response. When a telemarketer calls there's always a 1-2 second pause before they get "connected".

Peter

BREITLING for Bentley Motors T & Mark VI, Aerospace
ROLEX Submariner Ceramic116610LN
OMEGA Plantet Ocean 8500 42mm Orange arabics
OCEAN7 LM-3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:15 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
Yes there are fines, but more hassle than it is worth. Remember, it's not as though someone is actually dialing your number. Computers cull through a database of numbers and any given operation can "dial" millions of numbers a day. I simply do not answer 800 numbers or their derivatives and avoid answering calls from cities I don't expect calls from. After all - I HAVE VOICE MAIL. If it is a call I truly need to hear, the caller will leave a VM. In fact my VM says - "If you don't leave a voice message, I won't call back so leave a message ... or not ... at the beep." (one of my pet peeves is someone who expects a return call and won't take a moment to leave a message. No VM - no call!)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:54 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
A few years ago I was getting calls everyday for a month from 4 different phone numbers, upon answering the call a Boat horn would go off followed by a message saying I just won a freee cruise. I filed a complaint with the FCC and a few weeks later I stopped getting the calls. Not sure what happened but it seemed to work. go to www.fcc.gov

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:31 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thankfully in australia we have a federal "do not call" register :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:26 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Thanks Serge!! I just registered with the Do Not Call List.

Peter

BREITLING for Bentley Motors T & Mark VI, Aerospace
ROLEX Submariner Ceramic116610LN
OMEGA Plantet Ocean 8500 42mm Orange arabics
OCEAN7 LM-3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:33 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

I'm already registered. I had one person call me regularly from the Dish Network, he would call from his house and it was somewhere on the west coast. I finally got him to stop by giving him a good morning wake up call prior to going to work (I'm east coast) - those calls came to an end.

Next, are the Jamaican scammers, telling me I won $2,000,000 and need to send them $10,000 to wire it - apparently they can't just send me $1,900,000 (I tell them they can pocket $90,000 of it, and take the $10,000 in addition).

Done with my little vent, kind of bored today, I would welcome a call from a scammer, I'll just waste their time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:25 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I need to find the UK equivalent of a Do Not Call List because I currently get called around 3 times a day by Kwik Fit insurance. I recognise the number so I just ignore it, but I really want to just block the phone-jockies.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:01 pm 

Liked in: 1 post
@D8 Assuming you're with BT, register with the Telephone Preference Service at www.tpsonline.org.uk or 0845 070 0707. I did this 10+ years ago and apart from the "You've won a Caribbean holiday" automated calls and the odd one from India, it's pretty well stopped them.

My tactic if one does get through is to say, "Hang on, I've got a pan on the stove. Let me turn it down." and then just leave them waiting for however long it takes before they realise you're not coming back! And while they're hanging on, they can't be annoying someone else! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:25 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 1 post
mfserge wrote:
A few years ago I was getting calls everyday for a month from 4 different phone numbers, upon answering the call a Boat horn would go off followed by a message saying I just won a freee cruise. I filed a complaint with the FCC and a few weeks later I stopped getting the calls. Not sure what happened but it seemed to work. go to http://www.fcc.gov

I had this same issue...thing is, it was the telephone I was assigned during an internship...with the United States Federal Government :lol:

OP, as noted, you can use https://donotcall.gov/ (sounds like you have) but many have found ways around it through technicalities and some use revolving numbers to avoid fines as they aren't seeking anything other than your number itself.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:06 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Sharkmouth wrote:
@D8 Assuming you're with BT, register with the Telephone Preference Service at http://www.tpsonline.org.uk or 0845 070 0707. I did this 10+ years ago and apart from the "You've won a Caribbean holiday" automated calls and the odd one from India, it's pretty well stopped them.

My tactic if one does get through is to say, "Hang on, I've got a pan on the stove. Let me turn it down." and then just leave them waiting for however long it takes before they realise you're not coming back! And while they're hanging on, they can't be annoying someone else! :lol:

Cheers Sharky. :thumbsup: Unfortunately I'm not with BT....... but I love your "pan on the stove idea"! :lol: I'll be using that one!

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:35 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Driver - TPS isn't just for BT it's for any live landline or mobile number. I've had my landline and mobile registered for years and it's very rare I get unsolicitied calls. If I do one mention of TPS and I hear no more...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:50 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Gre3nday wrote:
Driver - TPS isn't just for BT it's for any live landline or mobile number. I've had my landline and mobile registered for years and it's very rare I get unsolicitied calls. If I do one mention of TPS and I hear no more...

:thumbsup: I'll be on the case later then! Cheers gents!

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:22 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 4 posts
Well, in Switzerland when you can ask for an asterisk to be put in front of your name should you do not want to be disturbed, on paper phone books or on the internet.

As you can imagine, that is only theory. And to avoid sanctions or fines, the phone centers of most of these companies are based in countries like Algeria, Tunisia or similar, where not only tracing a call is quasi impossible but where sanctions are very difficult to apply even if the call is traced. This is data coming from a consumer association that conducted an in depth survey and research. Even the Federal Bureau of Communications admitted that it is powerless.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:07 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 5 posts
Get creative, have some fun.

I usually start by asking them, "What are you wearing? And then inform them I'm not wearing any pants.

When they complain about the way I'm speaking to them, I remind them "they" called me. If they don't like it, don't call back.

Elgin-Hamilton 37500 (Aircraft Clock)