Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Collecting Addictions
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:30 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 626 posts
I assume we all have a watch collecting addiction. What other collecting addictions do you have. I collect in addition to watches, British Cars, Nautical Art, Nautical Models, and Nautical Gadgets {Sextants etc}. I figure I really don't have an addiction, in medical terms I have multiple affictions.My wife is happy with my afflictions as long as I don't collect other women.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:22 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Well the watches are probably the worst (best?), and watch related - books, tools, etc. The rest of the collections in the house are more wife driven - Canadian wildlife art and sculpture, western art, cookbooks and the like. A couple of other interests that are too big to really have 'collections' - spinning and weaving for her (two spinning wheels, three table top looms and one full size loom) and pinballs for me (three right now with one mre likely on the way soon).

I also seem to be collecting clients for the business at the moment, which is a nice problem to have but does rather limit the time available for other things!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:31 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

I started collecting Pinball machines. I loved the mechanical machines but ran out of room in my game room. They could easily have become addicting. Roff I am glad to see your wife is a collector also, it makes for a great marriage. My bride loves to see what I bring home the she says "TIME TO SELL" when she sees the value increase.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:09 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I'm not really a collector of anything per se, although I've ended up with quite a few watches over the years(!).... but I've always been something of a flipper, and I think true collectors don't tend to do that.

I've also ended up with a fairly offensively large movie collection - well over 2000 on DVD and Blu Ray at the peak..... but again that's just incidental to me liking movies and buying the ones I like : I didn't set out to collect films for the sake of it. As it happens I'm in the process of selling a hefty chunk of them as they take up so much room and I hardly get time to watch them nowadays anyway.

I also used to have a smallish collection of movie props and movie prop replicas, but I've since sold all of that as well - basically after figuring that I don't really need expensive dust-collectors around the place, or in storage that no-one sees.

Lastly I definitely have a passion for cars and art, and certainly would have a collection of both if I had the money for it........ which I don't, sadly,........ probably as a result of spending all my money on watches, movies, beer, DIY and girlfriend(s) (and not necessarily in that order! :wink: )

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:10 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
I have a little bit of a fountain pen collection. Mostly cosmetically appealing pieces but a couple of nice ones, I have a Parker Duofold white marbled and an S.T. Dupont black lacquer pen, a couple Auroras, Watermans, a Pelikan, one roller ball Delta, and some miscellany. As I get to it I have decided to sell the Parker and the Dupont, and keep the less-valuable ones. This watch thing, along with our continuing transition to the keyboard, have moved me beyond it.

Can't say I have collected cars, but I have tried to own one of every brand that interests me. So far, 2 BMWs, 2 MB, 1 Audi, 2 Jaguars, 3 Infinitis, 1 Acura, 1 Cadillac and a few other domestic lines over the years. For reasons I can't define, if Alfa Romeo really commits again to the U.S. market, I might be interested.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:20 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 11 posts
I don't really collect anything... but I do have a 1976 "Surf Champ" Gottlieb pinball in my basement!

Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Rolex Submariner Date Ceramic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:07 pm 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

sco wrote:
I don't really collect anything... but I do have a 1976 "Surf Champ" Gottlieb pinball in my basement!

Gotta love it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:14 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 24 posts
Liike Driver says not a true collector as I seem to keep moving things on. Guns, watches and dogs come to mind but you can't move them on! (5 in total Red setter most loved) and for some reason I have 7 years issues of my Favourite Field Sports magazine!

Roff. have you ever thought of the ultimate Pinball machine?

A self made one?

A Few Breitlings.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:38 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 28 posts
I collect putters, as crazy as it seems. I've had well over 100 in the last few years. Mainly tour Scotty Camerons and handmade TP Mills. It's taken a huge backseat to my watch addicition, but it will be back.

Post subject: Collecting Addictions
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:29 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
I collect books. Modern crime fiction first editions. The library is up to about 2500 books at this point. Which means I can never move.

Breitling Chronomat B01
Vintage Rolex Air King

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:32 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Lastly I definitely have a passion for cars and art, and certainly would have a collection of both if I had the money for it........ which I don't, sadly,........ probably as a result of spending all my money on watches, movies, beer, DIY and girlfriend(s) (and not necessarily in that order! :wink: )

You make it sound a bit like George Best :-)
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 24 posts
wessa wrote:
Driver8 wrote:

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered"

Or Charlie Sheen. . . .

:lol:

A Few Breitlings.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:24 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
wessa wrote:
Driver8 wrote:

:lol: That Best quote is one of the all time classics. I'm not quite in the George Best league! :lol:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:19 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 4 posts
I had to calm down with my collections since I got married. But:

Aviation Safety Cards, Aviation memorabilia, BMW Miniatures, BMW Brochures (since 1961)...

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.