The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:10 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
I don't know what's happening from your neck of the woods, but here in my hometown, huge crowds from around the world from tourists to car buff magazine editors to dignitaries are flocking to see the unveiling of the time capsule today. All the hotels are booked around town here.

The unveiling will be at the Tulsa Convention Center tonight at 7:00 pm. Tickets were at $5 and $10 but were all sold out within 2 days! I wasn't even able to get one myself! (I was too slow, I tell you.) But anyway I'll be able to catch it on our local TV station for the live broadcast.

On June 15, 1957, a new gold and white 1957 Plymouth Belvedere Sport Coupe was buried in a time capsule in downtown Tulsa, OK. The time capsule was part of Golden Jubilee Week: Tulsa's celebration of Oklahoma's semi-centennial. The car is buried under the sidewalk in front of the Tulsa County Courthouse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj-Ebr8GGk0

The car was seen as a method of acquainting twenty-first century citizens with a suitable representation of 1957 civilization. According to event chairman Lewis Roberts Sr., the Plymouth was chosen because it was "an advanced product of American industrial ingenuity with the kind of lasting appeal that will still be in style 50 years from now."

The contents of a women's purse, including bobby pins, a bottle of tranquilizers, cigarettes and an unpaid parking ticket, were added to the glove compartment of the car shortly before burial.

Other items included in the time capsule were:

10 gallons of gasoline and 5 quarts of oil
A Douglas Aircraft Co. aerial map of airport facilities and legend
Statement from Tulsa council of Churches and prayer for greatest good next 50 years a recently completed history of churches in Tulsa and a directory of the present churches
Statement from board of education - historical data related to 50 years of education in Tulsa and copies of "School Life" all-high school publication issued by Tulsa high schools each month
Statements from Mayor and Chamber of Commerce officials
Flags which have been flown over the national capitol, state capitol and in the county and city
Other aerial photos of the area
Statement from Tulsa Trades and Labor Council
Statements from all former mayors of the city - their record of service and civic accomplishments in the city, state and nationally.
As part of the "Tulsarama!" festivities, citizens of Tulsa were asked to guess what the population of Tulsa would be in the year 2007. The guesses were then recorded on microfilm and sealed in a steel container buried with the car. When the car and artifacts are excavated, the person whose guess is closest to Tulsa's 2007 population is to be awarded the Belvedere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:08 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
What a disappointment. The vault was flooded all these years and the car is trashed. Nothin' but a rusted pile of scrap metal. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Well at least the person who guessed the population the closest still gets a bank account worth something like $1200 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:13 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
I'm just down the road from you in Fort Smith.

I caught the water logged rust bucket on Channel 8. I bet they didn't count on that happening 50 years ago.

:D

~Brian