The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: The Ashes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
It's obviously here again and a very exciting time for all we cricket fans. I was actually living in the UK when England beat Australia in 2005 and I must say I really enjoyed the experience (not losing of course) but being present during such a happy time. You were all very polite about it of course :D but the celebrations were loud and long, well done!

The purpose of the post is to collect thoughts from all you cricket fans out there (and create some friendly banter), particularly considering the large contingent of both English and Australian fans that frequent the site. No doubt there will be some strong views expressed so please keep things polite :D

Right to kick things off - congratulations to England for surviving the first test. Very very lucky to get away with a draw and no doubt some good fortune with the weather. The Australians had plenty of time to take that last wicket and failed; good stuff! Interesting opinion from Punter Ponting after the game about potential stalling tactics employed by England. There did seem to be a lot of running around at the end there but was it against the Spirit of the Game??? I think potentially yes but....if that's what it takes to win....

No doubt Australia dominated the batting in the first test. The wicket was flat and condusive to good batting and the english played some pretty horrendous shots to get out. Good banter between Peterson and Johnson pre 4th innings no doubt helped our cause as well. Is Peterson going to be a dud this series? He's an awesome cricketer no doubt but maybe has underperformed for his abilities throughout his career - much like a John Daly? He'll probably score a thousand now :D

Anyway I've thrown plenty of openings out there. There's only one more thing to say and that is GO AUSTRALIA AT LORDS. I think we'll win, we haven't lost there for a thousand years.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject: Re: The Ashes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:51 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 2 posts
I'm hoping that the draw has done more for English morale than the Australians - either way it's going to be a great weekend - just hope the weather holds off.

Have you heard the http://www.barmyarmy.com/ song 'Hey Hey Ricky' yet - very funny!!!!

Omega Seamaster professional Chronograph
Certina DS
Casio G Shock
GWS Special Lithium edition
Seiko Divers Kinetic
Apple Watch
Garmin Fenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:12 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Tough to follow out here, but it's a chance once more to be disappointed by the failure to keep the colonies under control ( :wink: ).

At least this time there was a draw from what seemed a lost situation, so fingers crossed for the rest or the series - but with more hope than confidence I have to say.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:20 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
As I said in my PM Tim, we were very VERY lucky to escape with a draw there, but hey......., them's the breaks, eh! :wink: :D

And anytime I can see Mr Ponting suffer a dose of sour grapes is fine by me! Great player, but I'm sorry, I just don't like the man.

No, as much as it pains me to say it, I'm pretty sure the Ashes will be heading back to the Southern hemisphere by the time the summer's over, so let's just hope we have some great tests in between <and see if we can irritate Mr P a little more along the way too> :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:42 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 1 post
I like playing the Aussies because it means something! Makes it all the sweeter when we get away with murder!

At 70-5, I'd given it up so credit to Collinwood and Anderson for playing in the spirit of Sir Geoffrey.

If I remember, England had the same problem last year being unable to take the 20th wicket and timing out. Forget who against.

The Aussie batsmen showed what a good batting track it was and embarrassed the England top order who probably thought 400+ was a good score.

Like the look of Siddle. Figures weren't great but I think he'll improve as the series progresses.

I suspect Ponting will regret his comments. Of course England were wasting time. As were Australia in a test they looked to save a year or two ago. Call it gamesmanship. Call it professionalism. Every team does it in that situation. And as the captain of the team that bowled underarm to win a match, I don't think he's much right to question England's adherence to the "spirit of cricket"! :lol:

Roll on Lord's.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:53 am 

Since there's people from all over the globe on this board, perhaps an explanation of how cricket is played would be in order...

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

Simple really :wink:

I think I first saw that on a tea towel at Old Trafford about 40 years ago! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:17 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 0 post
......and THAT'S why baseball was created. :lol:

Breitling Transocean Chronograph LE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:03 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Well it's not a thousand years since we won at Lords, we won a short while ago in 1934 :wink: With Harmy back on a harder track, we should see aussie stumps flying all over the place :D . I thought it was poor for Ricky Ponting to start moaning as he is the one who has been fined most of his match fees for slow over rates.

Tim, Were you at the Gabba in 1998? I went for the Brisbane test where we got away with murder :) Never seen rain like that anywhere, you could swim on the outfield :!:

Sharkmouth wrote:

I think I first saw that on a tea towel at Old Trafford about 40 years ago! :lol:

I still have that tea towel !!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

swalsh1974 wrote:
Have you heard the http://www.barmyarmy.com/ song 'Hey Hey Ricky' yet - very funny!!!!

Not as of yet but will playit when I get home tonight. Definitely interested in hearing it.

Roffensian wrote:
Tough to follow out here, but it's a chance once more to be disappointed by the failure to keep the colonies under control ( :wink: )

:D

I have to agree D8, Ponting does come across as more than a little whingy and whiny at times. You probably don't get the Australian press (in fact I know you don't :D ) but he's been getting a fair hazing out here over the past couple of years for what is perceived to be poor decision making, especially in those crux situations. There was actually an interesting article in the papers today from ex England coach Duncan Fletcher condemning Ponting and the Australians for the way they play the game, their approach to "the Spirit of Cricket" and the fact that Ponting was more frustrated about the Australian's inability to take England's last wicket rather than being genuinely upset about actions undertaken by England. No doubt England have got under the skin of Ponting which is a win for the team.

Well said Sharky. It does mean something alright and I totally agree with you, England showed a lot of heart and played really well to produce a draw. No doubt Ponting will regret his comments; he is certainly feeling the pressure.

kstone wrote:
......and THAT'S why baseball was created. :lol:

A better game live than on TV in my humble opinion :wink: :D

happy_chapie wrote:
Well it's not a thousand years since we won at Lords, we won a short while ago in 1934 :wink: With Harmy back on a harder track, we should see aussie stumps flying all over the place :D . I thought it was poor for Ricky Ponting to start moaning as he is the one who has been fined most of his match fees for slow over rates.

Tim, Were you at the Gabba in 1998? I went for the Brisbane test where we got away with murder :) Never seen rain like that anywhere, you could swim on the outfield :!:

No I wasn't happy_chapie. Sounded like a lot of fun though!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Sharkmouth wrote:
Since there's people from all over the globe on this board, perhaps an explanation of how cricket is played would be in order...

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

Simple really :wink:

Thanks for clearing that up Sharky :lol: :lol: :lol:

Interesting that it's on a tea-towel.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:06 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Ponting's decisions in the field over the last few years have baffled me more times than I could possibly count. In just the final session the other night, for example, I can count the following: he took Hilfenhaus off after he made a breakthrough, he persisted with Johnson, who was clearly having an off game and was spraying them everywhere, he gave the new ball to Nathan Hauritz of all people and, if he was determined to use a spinner, why not Michael Clarke, who has taken wickets at the death before? The bowling attack at his disposal is a shadow of what it used to be but, even allowing for that, he did not come anywhere near making the best of it.

Well played to England, and particularly to Swann, Anderson and Panesar. Others are adding Collingwood to that list, and it was a very determined innings while it lasted, but for a recognised batsman to get out flashing outside off-stump and leaving the number 11 to face 15 overs is, in my book at least, a pretty big lapse.

I don't want to come across all sour-grapes (I'm no groupie for the Australian team, in fact I don't particularly like some of them), but I can't see that too many positives came out of that match for England, other than that they avoided losing it. I'm not saying it doesn't mean anything, but you'll have to play a lot better than that to get the urn back! :P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:40 pm 

Quote:
I can't see that too many positives came out of that match for England, other than that they avoided losing it.

Agree 100% but I think psychologically it's a massive plus to go to Lord's 0-0 rather than 0-1. If we had lost, we'd already have been in a rear guard attempt to save the series. There are now pundits on TV saying they expect another draw on a flat track at Lord's then England to win at Edgbaston. Have to say I can't see it myself but at least some are seeing a glimmer of hope now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:48 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Sharkmouth wrote:
Agree 100% but I think psychologically it's a massive plus to go to Lord's 0-0 rather than 0-1. If we had lost, we'd already have been in a rear guard attempt to save the series. There are now pundits on TV saying they expect another draw on a flat track at Lord's then England to win at Edgbaston. Have to say I can't see it myself but at least some are seeing a glimmer of hope now.

Good point. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:27 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

That song is a bit annoying :)

I was certain that England were going to get a stuffing in the first test, I was away for the weekend in the Peak District but was keeping up to date on my phone. Every time I looked up the score, I would groan. My girlfriend (from Tasmania) would almost wet herself laughing when I told her how poorly England were doing. That said though, glad it was a draw, even though the Aussies deserved to win it - as has already been said, the psychological side of it could be the kick up the bum that the England team needs.

Please please please don't let England lose the Ashes, I'm off to Australia to meet the girlfriend's family in exactly 12 weeks today. I'll get a thorough ribbing if England are crap.

As a small aside, any cricket fans should check out The 12th Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:53 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Sav wrote:
That song is a bit annoying :)

I was certain that England were going to get a stuffing in the first test, I was away for the weekend in the Peak District but was keeping up to date on my phone. Every time I looked up the score, I would groan. My girlfriend (from Tasmania) would almost wet herself laughing when I told her how poorly England were doing. That said though, glad it was a draw, even though the Aussies deserved to win it - as has already been said, the psychological side of it could be the kick up the bum that the England team needs.

Please please please don't let England lose the Ashes, I'm off to Australia to meet the girlfriend's family in exactly 12 weeks today. I'll get a thorough ribbing if England are crap.

As a small aside, any cricket fans should check out The 12th Man

Hey Sav, I went out with an Australian girl a few years back and I can guarantee you'll get a ribbing out there whether we lose the Ashes or not! You'll get a ribbing just for being English!! :wink: :lol:

Site Moderator

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next