The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Ashes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:47 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
happy_chapie wrote:
I just hope it doesn't go to about 500-9 with 10 minutes to go, my nerves won't stand it :!:

Nor mine! I seem to recall going through something similar in the second test in 2005. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:06 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

1 - 0 Looks like they are coming home...........! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:uplaugh:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4090

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
Congratulations to all you poms out there, AWESOME effort to win the 2nd test and break your Lord's hoodoo. Freddy Flintoff was OUTSTANDING - how well does he perform against Australia in the ashes. The series just got a lot more interesting :D :D :D :D

You killed us in the first innings and the win is thorouoghly deserved.

On an aside and taking nothing at all away from England, Rudi Kertsen I think has to go. He botched the Strauss catch (if it indeed was a catch :? ) by not going up to the third umpire as he had done in the England 1st innings (England given the benefit of the doubt that time). Let's face it if he had to go to the square leg umpire then it was worth going to the 3rd umpire for a look. Katich and Hussey also probably weren't out, Katich caught off a no-ball and Hussey with a nick off the ground. However hard to not give the Hussey wicket out and no doubt the slow-mo makes a no-ball a lot easier to spot. Thoughts anyone?

Anyway that is simply an aside, potential poor decisions go both ways and I'm very happy to admit that England were very deserved winners; well done chaps, see you in week or so :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:54 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Well said Tim, I agree.

Well played to England. Despite the batting issues in this Test, I still think Australia's biggest concern for the series is finding a bowling attack from somewhere. That, and the fact that I can't remember when we last came from behind to win a series. :?:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:07 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Apologies for celebrations guys. Us Poms have to make the most of a test win we don't have too many to celebrate. Even if we were helped by some poor umpiring decisions and unsporting behavior, the Strauss catch didn't carry! :oops: Bring back Harold "Dickie" Bird! what's the point of a third umpire if you don't use him or he gets it wrong.

Off to Edgebaston (Birmingham) for the next test. Hopefully Fred will be fit as swing is the only bowlers weapon there on whats usually a flat batting track.

Good luck......!
:D

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4090

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:04 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

See now that's the thing. As stated above, bad decisions do tend to even themselves out over time, but if they are preventable, then why not prevent them and get decisions right? There is plenty of technology available to the umpires yet they seem to use strangely little of it. I'm all for technology making the game 'correct' and to assist the umpires, but not at the detriment of the game and certainly not to take any onus off of the umpires in the middle.

I watch quite a bit of rugby and sometimes the amount of referring decisions to 'upstairs' gets a bit tiresome and you just want the guy with the whistle to grow a pair and make his mind up.

England to win the Ashes 2-1 :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:59 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Sav wrote:
England to win the Ashes 2-1 :)

I'm not sure of that, now thay you've lost half of your South African born players :D

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:30 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 1 post
How come no one's discussing the third test? OK, due to the weather it looks like it's heading for a draw but it would be amiss of me to let the Friday morning session go without comment.

I am, of course, referring to Ricky Ponting going past Allan Border's Australian record of 11,074 test runs. Congratulations!

Shame about losing 7 wickets in the session :rofl:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:24 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Apologies Sharkmouth, I've been away from home since Thursday on holidays, just go back last night. Courtesy of being sick as a dog I'm actually at home on a work day to get the chance to write this, whilst watching the replays of course :D wouldn't miss it for the world.

Firstly shame about the rain...

Secondly I think that Kourtsen has struggled again and surely has to be rested for the final 2 tests.

Thirdly considering how much play there has been, what a great test. Australia started well before falling in a big hole; outstanding bowling from Anderson and Onions.

England were so-so with the bat (maybe minus Strauss) until Flintoff and the tail wagged vigorously. Bell was out plum LB on 18, great that he made 51 but was out twice in my opinion on the way.

Great niggle by the way on field on day 4, great banter between Johnson and Swann amongst others - hard but fair. It is a battle afterall - awesome but with good feel and mutual respect!

You guys did really well in your 1st dig ensuring day 5 is very exciting. Australia maybe struggling a little at 2 for, if I'm honest I could easily see you winning this as we do need a further 130 odd runs to make you bat again. The ball is doing more than enough through the air to make it very difficult for a team to bat for a full day. However if we still have wickets in hand at lunch a draw would be the likely conclusion. Must be nice to know you can't lose :D

It really has been an outstanding series so far. We haven't been at our best since the 1st test but all credit to England as they have played well. On an aside good to see Johnson actually landing the ball on the wicket, might be a ominous sign for the 4th test.

What are your thoughts Sharky?

Sharkmouth wrote:
How come no one's discussing the third test? OK, due to the weather it looks like it's heading for a draw but it would be amiss of me to let the Friday morning session go without comment.

I am, of course, referring to Ricky Ponting going past Allan Border's Australian record of 11,074 test runs. Congratulations!

Shame about losing 7 wickets in the session :rofl:

Funny

Awesome from Ponting!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:57 pm 

Quote:
Believe it or not, I truly feel sorry for you Aussies because I think the luck has really gone against you this series. We all know that the toss is crucial and if Australia had won the toss at Lords, maybe they would have won. The weather gods seem to have favoured England in this test as the way the ball was moving in the Friday morning session made it almost impossible to bat. That said, credit must be given to Flintoff for an outstanding performance in that test. What must also be mentioned is the appalling umpiring by Rudi Koertzen. And all the key decisions seem to have gone against Australia.

I think England are edging it in this test and the first session tomorrow will be crucial. One good session could win the ashes!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Sharkmouth wrote:
Quote:
Believe it or not, I truly feel sorry for you Aussies because I think the luck has really gone against you this series. We all know that the toss is crucial and if Australia had won the toss at Lords, maybe they would have won. The weather gods seem to have favoured England in this test as the way the ball was moving in the Friday morning session made it almost impossible to bat. That said, credit must be given to Flintoff for an outstanding performance in that test. What must also be mentioned is the appalling umpiring by Rudi Koertzen. And all the key decisions seem to have gone against Australia.

I think England are edging it in this test and the first session tomorrow will be crucial. One good session could win the ashes!

Surely you don't feel that sorry for us :D :D :D Appreciate the acknowledgement though, as you know that's cricket, it goes both ways and let's be fair, we haven't played that well given the opportunities that we've had and you guys have in similar conditions!

Kourtzen has been very ordinary but his poor decisions have certainly gone both ways.

You've hit the nail on the head, tomorrow morning will be the difference.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:16 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Another draw... Australia running out of time to even things up.

I didn't see any of the last day's play, sounds like the pitch went dead.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

GO AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

Great draw, great effort from the Aussies, the top order stood up when it counted.

I didn't see much of it, did the English bowl well? Any choking exhibited?

Makes the last two tests exciting. Did England blow their chance like Australia did in the 1st test??? All valid questions.

Bloody great series so far gents!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:06 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

A Draw well played the Aussie's.

The Gritiest performance since Paul Hogan in Crocodile Dundee 2.......!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4090

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:19 am 

Good performance by your batsmen yesterday. Doesn't a draw feel good when you're fearing the worst!

Unlike the Friday morning session, the weather conditions (or maybe the ball) were not conducive to swing so it was a long, hard slog for our bowlers. They bent their backs but the pitch gave them nothing.

So, on to Headingley and, hopefully, some decent weather so we get a result. The ball usually swings at Headingley so should be a good match.

Interesting to read Ricky Ponting has become associated with my home town football team through your bus driver! He's due at the game tonight so I'll go along and try and meet the legend!

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/fc_united/s/1129503_pontings_date_with_the_robins

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 34  Next