The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Ashes
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:47 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
It's always tough to follow progress here, you can see results but that doesn't always tell the full picture as we know so it will be interesting to see how well prepared the teams are.

England seems to have a good chance, but how many times have I though that in the past......

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
You beat me to it happy_chapie! I was going to do something about this tonight, so thanks for beating me to it :mrgreen:

I'm getting excited. Just put my fantasy team together this morning and actually fly into Brisbane on Friday just in time. GO AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now in reality I think the poms definitely have the advantage both on paper and based on recent form. I have questions about several of the Australian players, particularly Hussy, Johnson and Clark and really wonder how some of the younger players have even earned their spurs. Still nothing matters but the next game and certainly some players will perform unexpectedly.

As I said earlier, based on recent form England have got to be the favourites on paper. We seem to struggle to bat well for two innings. While our bowlers are in better form than our batsmen, it isn't enough to only have half the team playing well. Look for Watson to have a big series! England on the other hand seem to have all cylinders firing with both your bowlers (Anderson) and batsmen (Peterson) seemingly in good touch. Strauss has to be a key as well, he had a great last series.

What do you guys think about the body-line tactics apparently to be employed against Ponting?

Pumped!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:16 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 12 posts
Tim S wrote:
I'm getting excited. Just put my fantasy team together this morning and actually fly into Brisbane on Friday just in time. GO AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no idea why I just read a thread about Cricket, but I was amazed to find out they had Fantasy Cricket. Not knocking it or anything, just never thought of it before. As far as the game itself, I've watched it and I had absolutely no idea what the hell was going on, kinda like Rugby, don't get that one either, but hey I am American and we tend to shun anything that we don't understand :mrgreen: .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:48 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Tim S wrote:
What do you guys think about the body-line tactics apparently to be employed against Ponting?

Absolutely excellent! :lol: :poke:

While I respect Mr Ponting for being a great player, I really don't like him I'm afraid, and if he's become more vulnerable to the short ball then that needs to be exploited....... in the spirit of the game of course. Ponting is a lynch-pin of the Aussie team, so if he starts feeling the heat (and starts his usual whinging! :wink: ) it's going to play into England's hands IMO. (Sorry Tim!)

5-0 I reckon. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:54 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
roman4405 wrote:
Tim S wrote:

I have no idea why I just read a thread about Cricket, but I was amazed to find out they had Fantasy Cricket. Not knocking it or anything, just never thought of it before. As far as the game itself, I've watched it and I had absolutely no idea what the hell was going on, kinda like Rugby, don't get that one either, but hey I am American and we tend to shun anything that we don't understand :mrgreen: .

At least you read the entire thread. I read the OP and went right to page 7. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:49 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Roffensian wrote:
It's always tough to follow progress here, you can see results but that doesn't always tell the full picture as we know so it will be interesting to see how well prepared the teams are.

Have a Look at this website.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/

Everything you could need, albeit a couple of seconds delay.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
roman4405 wrote:
Tim S wrote:

I have a fantasy bocce ball team....what's wrong with that??

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:42 pm 

Liked in: 1 post
Well done Steve for reviving the thread!

Greetings Tim S and let battle commence :lol:

Really looking forward to this series. I think England have a slight edge on paper but Australia have home soil so I think it will be very close.

My guess is 2-2 so England retain the Ashes with Man of the Series Graham Swann.

Enjoy Brisbane Tim and may the best team win.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:51 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
Aha, I should have known this thread would wake up.

I can't remember being less confident about an Ashes series since the 80s. I think it will be close, and the crucial issue for Australia is the performance of our pacemen - we just can't win if they don't fire (Johnson especially).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:40 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 12 posts
sharkman wrote:
roman4405 wrote:
Tim S wrote:

At least you read the entire thread. I read the OP and went right to page 7. :oops:

I gotta admit Shark, I skimmed through a bit of it. Half the time I had to keep reminding myself that I was reading English, no idea what the hell was going on. When I first opened it I thought something burned down. God I'm bored.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:04 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
happy_chapie wrote:
Roffensian wrote:

Have a Look at this website.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/

Everything you could need, albeit a couple of seconds delay.

Thanks happy_chapie - another pending dive in productivity :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:09 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
Morning to anyone in the UK who stayed up (or got up early) for this. Well, we're underway... England 4/145.

Early days, but so far so good from where I'm sitting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Sharkmouth wrote:
Greetings Tim S and let battle commence :lol:

Indeed Sharky, I wouldn't want it any other way :lol: Thanks, I will definitely enjoy Brisbane when I get there. I jump on a plane in about 3 hours after a 7 hour lay-over in LA. Horrendous really :cry:

What's the big deal with Swann? Why these huge expectations that he's going to have a brilliant series?

Otto wrote:
Morning to anyone in the UK who stayed up (or got up early) for this. Well, we're underway... England 4/145.

Early days, but so far so good from where I'm sitting.

I've been following the score online Otto. Seems like a pretty balanced start. Glad they got rid of Peterson and Strauss early.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:38 am 

Liked in: 1 post
Day 1 to Australia without doubt but still a long way to go. Looking forward to the weekend when I'll get to watch some action.

Swann was in top form this summer and I'd expect him to be bowling long spells so to win the ashes, he has to perform well.

It's also time Pietersen lived up to his reputation and delivered!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:28 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Hmmmmm, when I said 5-0 in my earlier post I obviously meant 5-0 to Australia. :oops:

Not quite the start I was hoping for!
Sharkmouth wrote:
Day 1 to Australia without doubt but still a long way to go. Looking forward to the weekend when I'll get to watch some action...

...It's also time Pietersen lived up to his reputation and delivered!

:yeahthat on both counts.

Site Moderator

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 34  Next