The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Ashes
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:52 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
And with two Johannesburg born lads at the crease ...

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:06 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
BlingBang wrote:
And with two Johannesburg born lads at the crease ...

Peter

The Allan Lamb tradition lives on :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:53 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 1 post
The vote at the pub tonight was 2:1 that Australia will get the 546 required, more than 100 higher than the previous highest 4th innings score to win a test. I have to declare I voted for the Aussies. Ever the pessimist when it comes to England! As a nation, we have a habit of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory :(

This match is far from over. Day 1 the batsmen were in command. The rain shower on day 2 must have helped the bowlers as the wickets tumbled. Don't take this to be the true state of the pitch. Day 3 has been a batsman's paradise.

The assumption is that it will turn on day 4/5. Maybe, maybe not. If the Oz top order get in, which is probable, this is going to be "squeaky bum time" as Alex Ferguson would say. One good session could win it for England. 4 or 5 good sessions will see Australia re-write the history books.

Whatever the outcome, the fact is that this series has been competed by two merely average sides, unlike the 2005 series. If it comes, victory will be sweet but not nearly so sweet as in 2005 when the Aussies were undisputed champions of the world!

If it's not too much of a cliché, may the best team win. The strange thing about cricket is that unlike football, whilst you want your own side to win, you will applaud the efforts of the opposition. One of my first memories of cricket was standing to applaud Bobby Simpson off the pitch after scoring 311 at Old Trafford in 1964.

That said...COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:15 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

England to wrap it up by stumps tonight :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:52 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Sav wrote:
England to wrap it up by stumps tonight :)

Bada Bing! Well done chaps :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:44 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

:D They're back home :bow:

..............for 18 months that is?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4090

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:29 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Well played England, a deserved win. Australia's first innings was the key, and we folded at the time when it was most important not to fold - can't expect to retain the Ashes when you do that. :(

England did well to pick themselves up and play positively after Headingley.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:01 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
Congratulation England! Outstanding effort in the 5th test. You out bowled and out batted Australia with, as Otto stated, our very poor 160 in the 1st innings, being our downfall. It was a mistake to leave out Hauritz. Yes you did win the toss which suited conditions but that is the luck of the draw, it was the same for both teams and if we had won the toss there would be far less whinging from us I’m sure. I don’t even mind that it was a result wicket as we all wanted a result in this test. Plenty of runs were scored, you lot just bowled better!

It was an outstanding series with both teams playing well and poorly in intervals.

As for us, it was a shame that Ponting was run-out on 66, could have made a difference if he had gone on to make a big 100. Michael Clarke had a very good series until the last game. Despite Hussey making a ton, he has to go in my books. One big score doesn’t make up for a good year of poor innings in my opinion.

Strauss and Broad were awesome and Swann bowled well. Good game and a great series. Well done again!!! See you in 18 months :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:09 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

I usually agree with you Tim, but I just can't agree about Hauritz (this however means I also disagree with Shane Warne, who is considerably better qualified than me to comment :) ).

Hauritz just isn't good enough, in my view. He can't turn it (our part-timers get more spin than he does) and I don't think we should pick someone who is below Test standard just for the sake of having a spinner in the side. Just my opinion. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

No problem Otto :D

Normally I'd agree with you Otto and if you had asked me prior to the series if I'd play Hauritz my response would have been a resounding no :lol: However I thnk Hauritz bowled well enough in the 1st 3 tests to warrant a position in the 5th and when you add to that fact the following:
- Swann took wickets
- The Oval usually spins
- Clark barely bowled
- North, a part timer, bowled a lot
- Australian spinning stocks are ridiculously low at the moment.
I think his inclusion was justified :D

All good. What do you think about the opinons on Warne coming back to captain the side until Clark is ready? Total rubbish if you ask me although Warne could probably go out and take 10 wickets tomorrow, he's that good :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:41 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

All good points Tim, or they would be if he could actually spin the ball. :lol: :wink:
Think we'll have to disagree on that one.

As for Warne coming back, I'm sure the man himself would be most amused by hearing that. Can't see it happening, and it wouldn't exactly be a forward-looking decision, not that the selectors seem concerned by that sort of thing (ahem... Shane Watson...). That said, I have no doubt at all Warne could do it. He certainly wasn't washed up when he retired.

For what it's worth, I'm no great fan of Michael Clarke, but they've been grooming him and he's been acting like he's in charge for a while now. He'll be ready soon enough, and I don't think they should be too hasty to discard Ponting anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I think the worst thing they could do is get rid of Ponting. He still has a lot to offer the game and Australia. It's just the usual knee-jerk reaction from the peanut gallery the moment something doesn't go completely to plan. I thought he had a pretty good series, keeping in mind that nobody's perfect and mistakes will be made, which is the reason why hindsight is perfect :wink:

I'm not a big fan of Michael Clark either although as you so rightly say, they are grooming him for the captaincy. His form certainly doesn't hurt his chances either, he has played well for a long time now :D Who else would you select anyway :?:

I'm also not a big fan of Shane Watson but he did take his chance with open arms and run with it resulting in a pretty good series in the end - all credit to him! Mind you I'm just waiting for him to break down again :wink: Poor guy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:41 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I agree on it being a little early to dump Ponting, but you guys also need to think about what the team will look like for the 2010 / 11 series. To have some youngsters with a little experience will give a little more flexibility if some of the veterans are struggling for form or fitness.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:17 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I totally agree Roff and it's a very good point. The team/squad is actually relatively well balanced compared to previous years when focussing on age, especially since the 'greats' retired - Warne, Langer, Hayden and co. but there are still some positions that are a little weak, based on recent form. There has to be a big question mark on Hussey for one and in the next couple of years players such as Ponting, Hussey, Lee, Katich, Stuart Clarke and others may retire or move on.

There are some up and coming players such as Phillip Hughes, Watson and others back home that haven't toured yet that may get their chance in the next couple of years.

The same must be said for England. Sad that Flintoff has retired but you also have to consider Strauss, Collingwood and Bell as potentially being in their twilight years. You've also got some good young bowlers coming through which also helps.

Then again both sides may field exactly the same teams in 2 years time, it all depends on form and injuries really. With all the games in all forms played at the moment, there are a lot more stressors placed on the body.

Looking forward to it already - in a very minor way being so far away :wink: Enjoy the moment lads :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:16 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

It must be time to resurect this thread as there's only 36 hours to the battle of Brisbane. Can England do what they have failed to achieve for over 20 years ? It looks as though we have prepared well for a change, with two wins and a draw in the warm up games. This must be the best chance for many years. I'm going for a 3-1 win to England. Australia to pick up a victory in Sydney or Melbourne. Steve

:cheer: ENGLAND, ENGLAND :cheer:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 34  Next