The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Ashes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:15 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
TomP wrote:
One thing is for sure: the England-NZ series was played in the most fantastic spirit, high-octane but mutually respectful, with milestones applauded, streaky shots met with winks and rueful smiles rather volleys of abuse etc; this one won't be, which is a pity. And that's not a veiled criticism of Australia's on-pitch behaviour: Anderson is as bad as anybody.

Couldn't agree more. I'm a proud Aussie and as passionate about cricket as anybody, but it's hard sometimes to be proud and passionate about this Australian team. I'd love to see them win the character battle as well as the cricket.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Josh Hazelwood goes. He's something pretty special and took a bag of wickets against WI at an average of 7. Also looking forward to seeing how Steve Smith travels. Since last December he's scored 97, 162*, 52*, 133, 28, 192, 14, 71, 117, 5*, 25, 199, 54*, 111 (Kent). That's a purple patch! I'm hoping he can continue it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Absolutely - Smith is a revelation. I have to hold my hand up and say that whenever I saw him in previous Ashes series I didn't for a moment see the batting potential he's realised. Indeed at points it seemed a reflection of the paucity of Aus's batting reserves that he was in the team. Not now, as you say.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:32 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
Great to see the thread back :lol:

Novacastrian wrote:
TomP wrote:
One thing is for sure: the England-NZ series was played in the most fantastic spirit, high-octane but mutually respectful, with milestones applauded, streaky shots met with winks and rueful smiles rather volleys of abuse etc; this one won't be, which is a pity. And that's not a veiled criticism of Australia's on-pitch behaviour: Anderson is as bad as anybody.

Couldn't agree more. I'm a proud Aussie and as passionate about cricket as anybody, but it's hard sometimes to be proud and passionate about this Australian team. I'd love to see them win the character battle as well as the cricket.

Thirded. I'm a die hard Aussie as well but the team has been obnoxious to say the least over the past couple of years; Warner in particular. I know it's how we were brought up to play but I think the line has been blurred a little in recent times. I'm sure a lot of fans would like to see better behaviour demonstrated but I think that's wishful thinking. However despite saying that, if you can't handle a little banter, you probably shouldn't be playing, so I think it'll be an explosive series both from a cricket standpoint and also a mental/verbal standpoint.

I would say (somewhat unbiasedly :wink: ) that the Aussies would have to be the favorites on paper, but that means nothing of course. I expect Anderson to play well and lead by example. Cook looks as though he's rounding into form but a lot of that will depend on Mitchell Johnson, who could struggle if England get on top early. Of course the reverse could happen too. Smith is in crushing form, Warner is probably due for a few runs, and Starc has bowled very well lately...should be great cricket, and I can't wait; hopefully Willow will show it over here in the US.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:58 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

First day looks pretty even, on a pudding of a pitch. Similar to 2009, just hope Aussies don't make 674 declared like last time!. Root looks to be carrying on in top form although Brad Haddin dropped him on 0. Could be costly............. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

happy_chapie wrote:
Could be costly............. :oops:

That may be the understatement of the series, and it's only day 1 of the first test. I'm guessing Australia rue that dropped catch just a little :lol:

Great work by England at 7 for 343. I'm hoping to catch the replay tonight. I've read that the pitch is boring and flat, which would contribute to the score. I'ts not good that on day 1, neither Mitchell nor Starc, bowling at 90-miles an hour, could get the ball to carry all the way through to the keeper. Let's hope it doesn't crumble too early. Looks like it'll be competitive; definitely a good start to the series.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:17 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Yes, that drop off Root certainly kept Haddin quieter for the rest of the day! Bit of a "Ssssshhhhh" send-off from Starc to Stokes but otherwise not much aggro. It certainly looked like the groundsmen will be doing their best to neutralise the Mitchells. Michael Holding, commentating for Sky, had some stats showing that Johnson averaged c24 in Aus and SA, and c40 in the sub-continent and England.

You only know how good/bad a pitch is when both sides have had a go on it, but I'm sure England would have taken c400; and they sure as hell would have at 43-3!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:58 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
What the H*ll you guys talking about, :idontgetit: :lol: .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Kodiak wrote:
What the H*ll you guys talking about, :idontgetit: :lol: .

Well if you guys had stuck around in the Empire a bit longer you'd have found out! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:03 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Great bowling from England this morning to take a 120 odd lead. With Cook in the hutch already, down to the two yorkies to show some determination and bat for most of the day. I think a 350-375 lead should be enough with the pitch looking somewhat worn and Sundays forecast looking better.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:16 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

England certainly have to capitalise on this position, yes. Lead already c.250 with plenty of aggressive batting to come. I'd declare with a lead of 400, but they're generally even more risk-averse these days. The dodgy forecast for Sun morning compels them to get on with it.

There's a suggestion that Starc has an issue with his ankle, which Australia certainly don't need.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Super start by England. Another failure from Watson (after a good start) could be the 'straw that broke the camel's back' but he's had 99 lives so far so we'll see. In fact lot's of starts by the Australian middle order; shame we couldn't get on with it; again nice work England.

TomP wrote:
England certainly have to capitalise on this position, yes. Lead already c.250 with plenty of aggressive batting to come. I'd declare with a lead of 400, but they're generally even more risk-averse these days. The dodgy forecast for Sun morning compels them to get on with it. There's a suggestion that Starc has an issue with his ankle, which Australia certainly don't need.

I would have to agree that 400 or so should do it from a declaration standpoint. Can't see us chasing that down with that wicket. I heard that about Starc also. Fingers crossed it's not too bad.

Got to say England are definitely favorites for the first test now; a draw at worst.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:52 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Great start by England with some excellent fast bowling yesterday. I didn't think the Aussie middle order would collapse like deckchairs with woodworm. It must be time to ditch leg before Watson and bring Mitch Marsh in for Lords, perhaps Siddle in if Starc is injured. Impressed with Cook's captaincy for once. The Cardiff wicket wasn't as bad as I thought with 1,250 runs scored and 40 wickets. Can't wait 'til Thursday :P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Congratulations to England, who comprehensively outplayed Australia in every facet of the game in that test. Super work!

Boy what an impact that dropped catch (Root) had in the first innings. I'm honestly not sure why Haddin is still in the team as there are several far better wicket keepers playing State cricket in Australia. The middle order was sloppy getting starts but not going on with it. However superb bowling and captaincy by England and Cook and a comprehensive victory.

We'll now see what changes, if any, Australia makes. Hopefully Starc is fit...and then we'll see with Haddin and Watson. This is going to be a good series. Maybe Johnson to number 6 in the batting line up...bring on Lord's.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:57 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Good sportmanship in this thread as ever.

That dropped catch certainly kept Haddin quieter than usual for the game! Yes he did look past his best. Those punchy and tide-turning 50s have driven England to distraction in previous series but you suspect that this might be his last. (It's funny: Aus keepers have always been old in my mind's eye: when I was a boy there was Rod Marsh, who always looked 40+, then Healy, who like Haddin always seemed grizzled and sun-ripened from the womb; only the wonderful Gilly ever seemed boyish.)

Marsh must come in for Watson no? Watson's problems with the lbw, planting that front pad then playing around it, are at their most exposed in English conditions.

Lord's should be thrilling.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:10 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

What a start by Australia in the 2nd test :shock: Quite the turnaround. Not sure what the difference is but nice work indeed by Smith and Rogers. Will be glued to the news seeing how England bats in their first innings. I assume it's a good pitch; exciting stuff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next