The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
 Post subject: Re: The Ashes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:40 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 13 posts
:shock: Wow. Anderson and the Trent Bridge committee must be in tears. Aussies playing 20/20 in a test match. Extras top scoring with 14. Surely Clark will carry the can for this debacle. Smith to captain at the oval ? England three down, maybe all over by tomorrow ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

happy_chapie wrote:
:shock: Wow. Anderson and the Trent Bridge committee must be in tears. Aussies playing 20/20 in a test match. Extras top scoring with 14. Surely Clark will carry the can for this debacle. Smith to captain at the oval ? England three down, maybe all over by tomorrow ?

I want to be the first to formally congratulate England for regaining the ashes. What a debacle from Australia :shock: Can't say I imagined this scenario even in my wildest dreams. I've read comments indicating that our inability to play the swinging ball is the main reason for that result. Wish I'd seen it in person...well sort of :wink: Clearly great work by England.

Given that Clarke second top-scored with 10 (excluding the extras), he might retain his spot but then again maybe not. Good start by Starc, so I guess it's not over yet, but hard to imagine us rebounding with our current fragile top order. I'm a little shocked to be honest...

Edit: Just watched the highlight. Great bowling from Broad. Lots of pushes from the Australians with a couple of less-than-ideal strokes (Clarke comes to mind). Huge slips cordon understandably. Wow.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:22 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
Can't type... slit wrists.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:30 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Actually a big congratulations to England. It's a victory of real character: both teams have been belted at some point in this series and England are the ones who have shown fight and rebounded. Stuart Broad has shown real maturity to step into Anderson's role. I'm genuinely pleased for him.

Looking at the highlights this morning, Australia's batsmen seem completely unable to leave the ball alone. Chris Roger's ball would certainly have hit the stumps, Nevill's did, but most of the others ought to have been left (Michael Clarke ought to be flogged for his dismissal). Cricket on the first morning of a test in England is all about the judicious leave... and Australia show no judgement at all. They keep coming hard at the ball; when will they learn?

Two quotes I've heard this morning...

"Australia keep talking about having to play their own (attacking) game. Maybe it's time they played someone else's..."

"Broad said that this eclipses his previous best of 7/15 against Kimbleton U15s. Perhaps we ought to line up a game against Kimbleton..."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
A truly extraordinary day. I've a good few Aussie friends here in the UK - I went to the Sunday of the Lord's test with one of them - and they've been texting in the same vein as the above: i.e. wrist-slashing re Australia and congratulations re England. Hard to imagine, as I/we sat there on that Sunday watching England rolled over by the Aussie bowling juggernaut - that we'd be where we are about 4 playing days later.

When I heard that Cook had inserted I thought, conducive conditions notwithstanding, oh no - this is his Edgbaston 2005 Ponting moment. 2005, McGrath is injured, but notwithstanding that, in a state of over-confidence, Ponting inserts England, who make 400 on the first day, the rest is history. 2015, Anderson is injured, btu notwithstanding that, in a state of over-confidence, Cook inserts Aus... Only this time he was batting before lunch.

I assume that Clarke will retire from the international game and not merely give up the captaincy; but yes, you do wonder if Smith takes over for the Oval with that being Clarke's swansong as a player. I imagine that the Aus newspapers don't make pretty reading.

Very good sportsmanship here throughout gents, I raise a virtual glass to you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:24 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Quite an amazing test. Been watching the highlights after work. I would've loved to have been there.

By the way - hilarious quotes, Nova! :lol:

Novacastrian wrote:
Two quotes I've heard this morning...

"Australia keep talking about having to play their own (attacking) game. Maybe it's time they played someone else's..."

"Broad said that this eclipses his previous best of 7/15 against Kimbleton U15s. Perhaps we ought to line up a game against Kimbleton..."

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:44 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Best quote i've heard, from Jim Maxwell of the ABC, (my favourite commentator).

"Australia were Broad-sided in the morning and then Rooted in the afternoon..."

Pretty much sums it up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:17 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Solid start by Australia in the dead rubber that is the 5th test. Shame Clarke only made a start. I actually feel pretty sorry for him. Lots of garbage from every man and his dog on his retirement. That seems to be the media nowadays. Start frothing at the mouth whenever there's a news event and go after everyone with an opinion. Like him or not he's made a great contribution to Australian cricket and has had a great career.

Lots still to play for, let's see what England can do with the bat. Nice ton from Smith - should quiet his detractors for a while anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34