The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:58 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
Thanks RJ I think this is one upgrade I'm seriously considering.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:08 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
jlee5050 wrote:
Thanks RJ I think this is one upgrade I'm seriously considering.

It isn't even costly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:41 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

I know! Called my computer guys today and was surprised... Cheaper than dishing out for a new laptop.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:01 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 1 post
Spinning hard disks are whack!

I assume you got the Samsung 830? If so, that is an awesome drive and IMO the best on the market overall. I've got a Crucial M4 (SATA 6.0 Gbps) in my MacBook Pro which is really similar (slightly slower write speeds) and I am using a Thunderbolt external going to a Vertex 3 (which I hate)...it is stupidly fast to a degree that you think something didn't copy because it happens instantaneously. While the reliability and speed of SSDs are unreal, their shock resistance is the most important feature to laptops. My mother dropped a MacBook Air (a 2008 generation with a primitive gen2 SSD) down a flight of concrete stairs and then it rolled off a ledge and fell a good 6 feet onto a concrete floor (smashed on the angle closest to the drive) and the entire system worked fine (to this day). The next day she ordered SSDs for every machine she had. You couldn't pay me to use anything other than a SSD.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:06 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

nickzac wrote:
Spinning hard disks are whack!

I assume you got the Samsung 830? If so, that is an awesome drive and IMO the best on the market overall. I've got a Crucial M4 (SATA 6.0 Gbps) in my MacBook Pro which is really similar (slightly slower write speeds) and I am using a Thunderbolt external going to a Vertex 3 (which I hate)...it is stupidly fast to a degree that you think something didn't copy because it happens instantaneously. While the reliability and speed of SSDs are unreal, their shock resistance is the most important feature to laptops. My mother dropped a MacBook Air (a 2008 generation with a primitive gen2 SSD) down a flight of concrete stairs and then it rolled off a ledge and fell a good 6 feet onto a concrete floor (smashed on the angle closest to the drive) and the entire system worked fine (to this day). The next day she ordered SSDs for every machine she had. You couldn't pay me to use anything other than a SSD.

Corsair Force 3 for me. Ill be sticking to SSD from now on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:36 pm 

Liked in: 33 posts
Samsung SSD 830 Series for me. Even with a busted old school hard drive, retrieving stuff, re-installing, etc.. the total cost was under $300. The fan never comes on anymore - is there even a fan in there anymore? Frankly, I don't care.

I'm so glad I knocked this bugger off the coffee table.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:44 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

sharkman wrote:
Samsung SSD 830 Series for me. Even with a busted old school hard drive, retrieving stuff, re-installing, etc.. the total cost was under $300. The fan never comes on anymore - is there even a fan in there anymore? Frankly, I don't care.

You are lucky...data recovery can get into the thousands easily. I had a bad experience with that once. There's still a fan but the spinning disks generate a lot of heat and require something like five-fold power than a SSD, that makes very little heat, so they are in more of an idle state. My MBP runs consistently at 2000k fan speed and 110 F unless I'm crunching numbers or using, CS, where the fans can hit 6,200 RPM and 200 F. Heh...the prices of SSDs make me happy but sad...my fist SSD which was 80 GB was about $800, and my 256GB Crucial M4 was like $400 earlier this year :lol: :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:51 pm 

nickzac wrote:
sharkman wrote:

You are lucky...data recovery can get into the thousands easily. I had a bad experience with that once. There's still a fan but the spinning disks generate a lot of heat and require something like five-fold power than a SSD, that makes very little heat, so they are in more of an idle state. My MBP runs consistently at 2000k fan speed and 110 F unless I'm crunching numbers or using, CS, where the fans can hit 6,200 RPM and 200 F. Heh...the prices of SSDs make me happy but sad...my fist SSD which was 80 GB was about $800, and my 256GB Crucial M4 was like $400 earlier this year :lol: :(

Hey, I once paid ~$150 for a 128mb sony memory stick for my camera. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:54 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

RJRJRJ wrote:
nickzac wrote:
sharkman wrote:

Those were the good ole' days. I still have 8mb and 32mb cards for my camera lying around...the 8mb one will actually not hold more than 1 picture at a time :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:59 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

RJRJRJ wrote:
nickzac wrote:
sharkman wrote:

What's even sadder is that it's a memory stick, not even an SD card.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:30 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

jlee5050 wrote:
What's even sadder is that it's a memory stick, not even an SD card.

Gotta love Sony. I'm really surprised they've not yet made their own SSD (or like Kingston, contact Intel models to display their name). Given how well the brand is known and how many products they have that use flash memory, you'd think they would do it for that reason.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:04 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
RJRJRJ wrote:
nickzac wrote:
sharkman wrote:

Youngster!

I paid GBP108 (not $) to upgrade my first computer from 4 megs of RAM to 8 megs (megs!!!!).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:58 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1728 posts
toddler.

I remember systems with 64k RAM, then the 640k barrier - the most advanced systems had one megaybyte of RAM, but the 384k above had to be used by a RAM-disk, not as system memory.

and the first hard drives we installed in the IBM PC had FIVE Megybyte ! and the upgrade sold for around $2,500

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:46 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Where's Paul? I know he's messed with computers for a long time in the military. :lol: :bow:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:08 am 

My first computer was a packard bell 75mhz pentium with 8mb ram and 2x cd-rom. A friend later got an identical system but with a "quad speed" cd-rom. lol remember when games would come on like 20 floppy disks?