It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Service Cost
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:00 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 6 posts
Hi All

How much should a service be to a chronomat, mine has just began to stop whenever off the wrist even if kept on a winder.

Would a service remedy my problem?

I am in manchester england

Cheers

John

Post subject: Re: Service Cost
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:02 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 22 posts
i think mechanicals were 270-330 last time i called breitling UK, i know they had a small price rise.

if you dont need a polish etc you can just get a maintainence service which still sorts the movement and was £126 for my Navitimer only last week.

Alex

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:13 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 4 posts
errol0_7 wrote:
Hi All

How much should a service be to a chronomat, mine has just began to stop whenever off the wrist even if kept on a winder.

Would a service remedy my problem?

I am in manchester england

Cheers

John

Just had that issue on my Crosswind. Service made it perfect, as usual. Cost was US $550.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:57 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 0 post
errolo check to see if its within warranty.

then send it to Breitling Usa .

If not within warranty then possibly still a good idea to send it to Breitling USA.

If you look around theres a service video on this site it takes 15 days for them to service it and I'm damn sure you get your money's worth.

For future reference you may consider posting i the help forum you will probably get more responses.

all the best
nick

:lingsrock:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:07 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
breitlingfan2008 wrote:
errolo check to see if its within warranty.

then send it to Breitling Usa .

If not within warranty then possibly still a good idea to send it to Breitling USA.

If you look around theres a service video on this site it takes 15 days for them to service it and I'm damn sure you get your money's worth.

For future reference you may consider posting i the help forum you will probably get more responses.

all the best
nick

:lingsrock:

I don't think BUSA will accept a non BUSA registered watch (i.e. not originally sold in the US) from outside of the States.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:13 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 21 posts
as one of the other guys stated, service is around the £280 on a mechanical watch at TWG, DEPENDS hugely on whether anything is broken or needs replacing to make it work, parts are predictably not cheap, i know a guy who spent £800 getting an old chronomat to work, but it needed a few bits.

regards swiss1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:06 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 6 posts
WOW - thats some range in costs coming in, I'm sure I don't want to pay £800 at the moment especially as it works fine with a few winds each morning I'd better call my AD

Cheers all

John

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:00 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 22 posts
Andy, why would you think that? its an international warranty and i cant imagine it makes any difference where it is purchased, the warranty is held with SA i assume and as such all Sub Sids just bill back to the manufacturer, like a car warranty. BMW xx Dealer do warranty work at an agreed rate and bill BMW Headoffice.

surely it works the same in Breitling??

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:03 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

alex** wrote:
Andy, why would you think that? its an international warranty and i cant imagine it makes any difference where it is purchased, the warranty is held with SA i assume and as such all Sub Sids just bill back to the manufacturer, like a car warranty. BMW xx Dealer do warranty work at an agreed rate and bill BMW Headoffice.

surely it works the same in Breitling??

It should, and historically did, but BUSA are becoming a lot more anal now about dealing with watches that weren't first sold in hte US. I think it's because of the success of grey market. If you kicked up a big enough stink they would probably agree, but fairly certain that they wouldn't accept it without question.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:44 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I own a Crosswind that was made in 2002. I was loosing 2min per day. I took it directly to Breitling USA in Connecticut last fall. The total repair cost was $705.00 US dollars. That is what the going rate for a complete overhaul is from Breitling. I chose not to have it done. I just live with it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:18 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Hi

My Chronomat is gaining time,i did call BUK for a price a service was £150 and overhaul was £280,i was told the overhaul included hands and any other parts it required all in and that included case polishing.
if the case has any deep dings then it would cost you more but they would let you know first.
my question re the movement in mine which is the Valjoux 7750 25 jewell,how many non Breitling watches are there with these movements in?or are they exclusive to Breitling only?,or modified IN ANY WAY for Breitling?,and if not then i'm perplexed as to this send it back ONLY to Breitling mentality some people perpetuate,if the movement is generic to other watches then parts WILL be available to fix the watch and at a fraction of the price!,{I am talking ONLY about watches out of warranty here}.
yes i know the hands may be an issue as Breitling hands are replaced as they are pressed on,so you watch repairer will have to re-use the hands on the watch,could that really be an issue in the future...could it REALLY?.

SO INFO ON THE MOVEMENT WOULD BE GREAT,LET ME ADD I'M NOT AGAINST MY WATCH GOING BACK TO BREITLING AT ALL,JUST LIKE TO HOLD ON TO MY HARD EARNED CASH, MY WATCH IS OUT OF WARRANTY, ARE THE PARTS AVAILABLE TO MY JEWELLER FREELY?, OR HAS THAT MOVEMENT IN MY WATCH BEEN MADE BY BREITLING AND ONLY FOR BREITLING?, OR HAVE THEY BOUGHT IT IN TO USE?????,IF SO THEN I BELEIVE THE PARTS WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM TO GET.

Regards

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:39 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

In terms of hands - yes it really could be a problem. As new hands are pushed onto the stems the hole that the stem fits in expands and it does not return to it's original size when the hand is removed. Therefore a hand that is used for a second or subsequent times will be looser fitting and therefore more likely to fall off the stem with a knock to the case.

In terms of the movements, the Valjoux 7750 is one of the most common movements in swiss mechanicals, but not all 7750s are the same. Aside from the three different grades that it comes in, Breitling buys the movement as an ebauche - a kit. Some parts they use, some parts they test to see if they can be used, some parts they rework and some parts they throw away and replace.

Whether parts can be used from other 7750s will depend on both the grade of the movement donating the parts and whether the part was reworked or replaced by Breitling.

Of course the lower grade or non reworked parts will fit in most cases, but the quality of the movement is then reduced.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:02 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Hi

I have just been reading up on the 7750 movement and found this:-The Valjoux 7750 is now used in the vast majority of mechanical chronographs produced in Switzerland, and has allowed the mechanical chronograph function in watches of modest cost. For a caliber obviously engineered from the ground up for economy of manufacture, the 7750 has proved itself a reliable and durable workhorse. Without the 7750, mechanical chronographs might be known only to the buyers of luxury watches.

ok i'm up there with you re what Breitling may or may not do with there 7750 movements,lets get to the movement in MY watch the Chronomat,how then do i find out if MY chosen jeweller can repair my watch quite easily and comfortably and without ANY degredation to the quality of the movement in ANYWAY whatsoever,WILL HE BE WORKING WITH A MOVEMENT THAT PARTS ARE READILY AVAILABLE TO HIM?how do i find out if it has a 7750 movement that has been tinkered with at Breitling?,once i know that i can and others can too,decide where to have there out of warranty! watches serviced/repaired ,we are afterall talking a very substantial difference in cost yet if there is ABSOLUTELY NO difference in the movement and parts available then there is NO real reason to have Breitling do the work at a vastly inflated price,hey iv'e just read quotes of $800+ for a fix,we don't all that sort of money,but thats another issue and will open a can of worms!{but you have a $6000 watch and don't want to pay $300/800 to fix it!...mmmm},i got my Breitling for a very very good price,i didn't pay $6000.

off track a little sorry...lets try resolve what Valjoux 7750 makes my watch tick...HAS IT BEEN ALTERED BY BREITLING AFTER OEM? OR NOT?.

Regards

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:19 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Your watch has been modified by Breitling. Every movement has been modified by Breitling. The watch was sent to Breitling as a 'bunch of bits' and Breitling immediately threw some of those bits out and replaced them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:06 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

And the bits! they replaced as so far advanced and better than OEM to warrant the extra several hundred dollars/pounds in your opinion to fix a faulty watch{out of warranty watch!}.

ps:- i drive a BMW...but never never go to main dealer i can source DEALER PARTS you hear me DEALER PARTS! else where much much cheaper and have fitted by guess what?,....you guessed correct a mechanic,hey does that sound familiar to a guy in the watch repair business knowing how to fix watches and not going to it's MAKER! ie Breitling.

we'll get there!,this snob/and got to be best going to Breitling thing runs deep.

Regards