Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:50 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 43 posts
Hello my friends,

I know we have a few Breitling experts on this forum and would like someone to tell me about this watch if possible. I’ve seen a couple of pics of this model and would like to get one at some point. All I know is it’s a 2016 honor flight model and the only 43mm blue Navitimer 01 with the yellow gold wings and clear caseback. Other 43mm blue Navitimers 01 with the clear caseback have the white gold wings. It is a “special edition”. Does anyone know what they mean by that?. Why not a limited edition?. How many did they make?. Any guesses?. I know they won’t be making any more as Breitling stopped putting the wing logo on their watches. Is this a desirable model to get?. Thanks in advance for the input.

blakkflame likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:19 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
OK, I'll take a crack at this...

The first edition of the Honor Flight Navi was a limited edition of 56 pieces. The Honor Flight logo appeared on the dial, and the solid case back had an engraving depicting a pillar at the WWII Memorial in Washington, D.C. Each of the watches in this limited edition was unique, in that each contained a reference to a particular pillar (56 of these -- each dedicated to one of the 56 states and U.S. territories existing at the time of WWII).

The second edition of the Honor Flight Navi was a limited edition of 100 pieces -- gold wings on the dial, and a solid case back with an engraving of the Honor Flight logo.

The third edition is the one you have depicted -- a special edition with gold wings on the dial and an exhibition case back with the Honor Flight logo. Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that "Special Edition" refers to a design that is not in the normal catalogue -- but, since it is not a "limited" edition, can be re-issued at any time.

As to desirability -- well, that's up to you. The blue Navi you have depicted is certainly a beautiful piece in and of itself, and has the added dimension of recognizing the Honor Flight organization, which does outstanding work in paying tribute to veterans.

I cherish my own Honor Flight Navi, which I bought as a tribute to my father's service in WWII...

5 people like this post.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
In 2013 Breitling partnered with the Honor Flight organization to support its efforts to fly US World War II veterans to Washington D.C. to view the recently completed W.W. II memorial. The initial watches that were made totaled 56, one for each state and US territory. The dial had the Honor Flight logo on il and the solid casebooks were engraved with a picture of the W.W. II memorial and the state and or territory. The sequence for numbering was the states admission to Union, Delaware was 1/56 and Hawaii was number 50/56 followed by territories. In following models year the number of watches were limited to 100 and had the Honor Flight logo engraved on a solid casebook. Later the Honor Flight logo was "printed" on a display casebook and the limited edition designation was removed and special edition (special edition does not limit the number of watches produced) designation was put in place. At some point the logo was removed from the dial and "printed" on the casebook and the Breitling wings were added to the dial. The initial Honor Flight watch did not have either the white or yellow gold Breitling wings.

If you google Breitling Honor Flight watch several articles, including this one, https://www.watchtime.com/wristwatch-in ... d-edition- breitling-navitimer-watch-supports-honor-flight-network/ will give you more info.

As far as value, some of the Honor Flight watches have retained their value better than a "regular" Navitimer but you will still take a significant hit in value depending on the purchase price. With respect to desirability, you will have to determine that. I do know that a lot of the first editions were purchased by children of W.W. II veterans and given to their fathers and or kept as a keepsake in thier father's memory. Good Luck in your search!

4 people like this post.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:08 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Appreciate you gentlemen for the responses!. Thanks for the taking the time. What a neat story behind the honor flight. I’m glad you bought one in honor of your father. Gives it a lot more meaning. Your version looks beautiful. I’m not surprised many are giving the watches to their fathers in honor of their service. Its a great cause. Thank for explaining the difference between special and limited edition. Although this was made as a special edition, I think now it has become a limited edition as Breitling stopped making the Navitimers with 01 with the wing logo. So even if they make more, it will be a different watch this making this one a limited edition although the plan was not to make it that way. I will probably get one of them soon as the new Navitimers without the wing logo leave me cold. I always buy preowned especially Breitling as I know they take a huge hit!. Although I don’t post much here, I’ve had read and seen a ton of posts and pics posted by both of you :-). Glad this forum has members with this level of knowledge. Have a great weekend to both!

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:19 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
For your information, there is currently one for sale on another forum, it is the model that you have pictured and was purchased from an AD in April 2018. I don't know what MSRP is for the watch but the price seems reasonable. You might even be able to do a FTF! (I know, Texas is a big place!) here is the info!

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/very- ... 53679.html

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:01 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
Sniper wrote:
Appreciate you gentlemen for the responses!. Thanks for the taking the time.

You're most welcome! :)

While we're at it, I thought I'd share a view of the case back on the original Honor Flight LE:

(In case anyone may be interested, more info and photos can be found in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52442)

BTW -- if you ever have a chance to visit the WWII Memorial in D.C., you should definitely take advantage of the opportunity. In fact, if you go on a weekend, it's highly likely you'll run into Honor Flight groups that are visiting for the day.

One last note -- the documentary "Honor Flight -- One Last Mission" is incredibly inspiring and moving. If you have the chance to check it out, by all means do so -- you'll be glad you did. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:40 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Moana43 wrote:
Sniper wrote:
Appreciate you gentlemen for the responses!. Thanks for the taking the time.

You're most welcome! :)

While we're at it, I thought I'd share a view of the case back on the original Honor Flight LE:

(In case anyone may be interested, more info and photos can be found in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52442)

BTW -- if you ever have a chance to visit the WWII Memorial in D.C., you should definitely take advantage of the opportunity. In fact, if you go on a weekend, it's highly likely you'll run into Honor Flight groups that are visiting for the day.

One last note -- the documentary "Honor Flight -- One Last Mission" is incredibly inspiring and moving. If you have the chance to check it out, by all means do so -- you'll be glad you did. :wink:

Hello Jim. Thanks for the link and the info. I’ll definitely check out the documentary. I was in DC recently but did not have a chance to visit. Going back in a few months and will definitely go there and maybe see some of those heros there and take them for a little bit. Definitely a great cause for Breitling to support. I hope under new Breitling leadership, they will continue to support them. Thank you again!.

Moana43 likes this post.