The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:37 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Well, this sucks. Good thing I bought my casual Breitling Colt in Dec....looks like no more for the ladies.

Will we still be able to get parts for Colts and Galactics?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:20 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 811 posts
Antoher interview with Georges Kern - there will be something for the ladies :D

http://en.worldtempus.com/article/indus ... 25641.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:47 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 36 posts
Kern discontinued the original B55 Exospace from the professional line and has re-introduced it as the B55 Yacht timer. Very silly but I guess he feels he needs to compete with the Omega Speedmaster X-33 Yacht timer?

He did cut lots of dial color variants from the other quartz professional line models. If you want an Aerospace EVO, volcano black
Is your only dial option.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:48 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

iMak wrote:
Quote:
"No brand in the world has different logos. Breitling needs a new-old logo and it is, funnily enough, already on the Superocean Heritage." Yes, you read that right: the wings will be gone. The winged Breitling logo will be gone from all collections, including the Navitimer, the Chronomat and all the others you can think of.

What! Why? I don't like this at all...

He will destroy Breitling the same
Way he did in IWC.

I love the wings logo. Unmistakably Breitling. You remove it and the watches are no better than sub $500 Hamilton’s....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:50 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

And the EVO Chronospace quartz Chrono is gone too...

He also killed the very short lived B60 SQ in house analogue chronos. Those were not in the market not even a year...

https://www.breitling.com/us-en/watches/professional/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:54 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

jnelson3097 wrote:
It's kind of funny that when you visit some other forums, people are quick to dismiss everything that Kern has already talked about doing. I know there are fans of the wings logo and people who like the quartz lineup, but I can wait another few weeks before making a judgement that Breitling is bound to fail under Kern. The one thing I'm glad to see is a simplified product lineup. The Navi 8 has grown on me but I haven't called to place an order yet, but I've said it before on here, there's never been a Basel that I'm looking forward to as much as this.

If I were an AD, I would kick out the door the Breitling cases...

I notice more ADs are abandoning the brand.

It is now owned by a capital investment group, not a family with a controlling interest or anyone that cares about horology and Breitling’s history and contributions.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:00 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

JustTom wrote:
This comes as no surprise to me whatsoever. Breitling is clearly trying to focus more on the premium segment. Seems like just about all of the premium watches start in the neighborhood of $4700-5000 for a stainless steel automatic. With the exception of the Professional Series Super Quartz watches, Breitling is doing what Rolex did years ago when they abandoned the Oyster Quartz line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which was a mistake that I hope Rolex will rectify in the future. If they were to offer the Oysterquartz again, I would buy it on the spot.

Breitling is far from being a premium or luxury brand. The damage is done. They have a tremendous problem with low residuals and generally a poor perception among the general buying public. Their overinflated sticker prices don’t help remove this negative perception one bit. It reinforces it.

Further their decision to sever ties with their long standing independently owned authorized service centers has left a bitter taste in my mouth. That is not COOL!.

I wish them luck. But under a capital investment groups I fear for the future of Breitling. It’s becoming a generic, boring and overpriced brand with no identify, direction or personality. Have you seen what they did to the website? Looks cheap!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:02 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

ItnStln wrote:
Will the Aerospace and Cockpit B50 and Exospace B55 still be around?

Exospace has morphed Into a silly Yacht timer watch to compete with Omega’s X-33 simular offering.

They ruined it:

https://www.breitling.com/us-en/watches ... 12221B1S1/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:11 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
avantgardetime wrote:
ItnStln wrote:
Will the Aerospace and Cockpit B50 and Exospace B55 still be around?

Exospace has morphed Into a silly Yacht timer watch to compete with Omega’s X-33 simular offering.

They ruined it:

https://www.breitling.com/us-en/watches ... 12221B1S1/

I just went on their site and the redesign is terrible. The EXOSPACE B55 is still available but it’s somewhat hidden. The EXOSPACE B55 YACHTING isn’t the best looking variant for sure. I agree, they ruined it. For some reason when I view by collections it doesn’t show everything but when I view all watches it does.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:44 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
I was extremely upset when I first saw what George Kerns did. However I have been watching clips of his interviews for the past few days and began to understand what he has been trying to do for the brand.

I have been a great fan of the Schneider era of Breitling. If you look back the past models, they did many things that people don't understand, Buck rogers, DLC, rubber inserts, big sizes, etc. My belief is that they did those from a professional's perspective, that they were trying to make authentic instruments that are really meant for their use. Rubber inserts for example, many people were put off by them and questioned their durability. However they do improve legibility for usage. Many sizes were big, but they are meant to better contain all the information in the dial for easy read off during an actual mission. They made many DLCs and created Breitlight. They were aimed for actual mission with tactical sense. Many fonts on the Chronomat's face, but they were meant to encourage distinct difference on the different functions and references so that the user's eyes can easily read off the intended information without getting visually confused by the other surrounding numerals that are meant for other purposes. To me what they did is a good example of function before form. I personally respect that very much. However after all their main consumers are the public and majority prefer designs that are easy to understand instead of sophisticated ones. Therefore Breitling's previous directions were on the niche segment who understand and appreciate the intention of the designs and details.

The Schneider family did not do enough to link the old Breitling culture to their era, so it appears like the old Breitling and the Schneider families are offering "different brands with the same name". George Kern's intention is to actually link the two eras into one. The part I like best was his decision to clamp down the amount of variations on each model. If you refer to the website, he has retained the key models belonging to Schneider era, and those still have the wings logo on them, but with limited variations.

I actually agree with his decision to discontinue the low end quartz models. He does not intend to go high end with expensive complications but yet position the watches at a certain prestige level.

Even though I do not have intentions to get another Breitling, it is still my favorite brand and I am now somewhat satisfied with what has been happening so far. I just hope he doesn't create an "IWC wannabe" image on Breitling. If not I think and hope Breitling's image will start to turn more consistent and emerge stronger.