The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:28 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
In the wake of Georges Kern's recent PR tour, various watch sites are reporting that, going forward, in-house chronograph movements will have contrasting sub-dials, whereas ETA movements will have monotone sub-dials. I have no idea whether this is being reported accurately, or whether Breitling is actually going to take this approach.

I must say that, if these reports are accurate, I would find this to be a rather strange and unwelcome development. I see no reason to limit aesthetic choices on various chronograph models based solely on which movement these models may be utilizing...

Rob S. likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:25 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
I agree Jim. I went back and read the hands on article on that site that starts with H where they mention that. I'm not sure I really understand why they would need to differentiate the two movements by the color of the subdials.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:28 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
yes, this was reported correctly - Georges wants to differentiate the two lines and make it immediately visible if a chronograph used an in-house caliber or not - at the first glance in a shop window or on a wrist, makes a lot of sense from a marketing viewpoint, so in-house calibers will typically have contrasting subdials.

there may be Special Editions where in-house uses unicolor dial designs (as there are plans for re-editions of iconic vintage models that require this), but ETA- or Sellita-based chronographs will never have contrasting subdials.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:38 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

WatchFred wrote:
yes, this was reported correctly - Georges wants to differentiate the two lines and make it immediately visible if a chronograph used an in-house caliber or not - at the first glance in a shop window or on a wrist, makes a lot of sense from a marketing viewpoint, so in-house calibers will typically have contrasting subdials.

there may be Special Editions where in-house uses unicolor dial designs (as there are plans for re-editions of iconic vintage models that require this), but ETA- or Sellita-based chronographs will never have contrasting subdials.

Thanks for that update, Fred.

As far as three-subdial layouts go, I've always thought that the 3-6-9 configuration for in-house, versus the 6-9-12 configuration for ETA has been an easy indicator. (Does Sellita use 3-6-9, as well?)

For me personally, this new approach would alter the look of some of my favorite pieces in my collection (both in-house and ETA), including this one... :wink:

Hunterfate likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:16 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
"contrasting" doesn't have to mean stark contrasts, Jim.
yes, it will alter the look of some pieces, but there are 775x variations in several subdial layouts, 3/9 and even the same 3/6/9 as the B01 (remember the A23322 Navitimer?).
I hope you'll like what Basel will bring regarding "classic" chronographs - and stay tuned for some rather lovely re-editions, although that will take a bit of time....)

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:52 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

WatchFred wrote:
"contrasting" doesn't have to mean stark contrasts, Jim.
yes, it will alter the look of some pieces, but there are 775x variations in several subdial layouts, 3/9 and even the same 3/6/9 as the B01 (remember the A23322 Navitimer?).
I hope you'll like what Basel will bring regarding "classic" chronographs - and stay tuned for some rather lovely re-editions, although that will take a bit of time....)

Fair points, Fred. I'll admit, I was focusing on the 7750, as opposed to the 7753, etc. guess we'll see how it all plays out in action.

I can't remember when I've looked forward to Baselworld with so much anticipation as to Breitling's new offerings. It's nice to know you've had a hand in all of this. :wink:

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:33 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
Moana43 wrote:

Fair points, Fred. I'll admit, I was focusing on the 7750, as opposed to the 7753, etc. guess we'll see how it all plays out in action.

I can't remember when I've looked forward to Baselworld with so much anticipation as to Breitling's new offerings. It's nice to know you've had a hand in all of this. :wink:

You're not the only one Jim. I don't remember anytime within the last 5 or 6 years when I've been looking forward to seeing what Breitling will unveil as much as this one. I wonder if it'll be enough to put off my next purchase.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

Moana43 likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:00 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
That would be just my luck. I finally get my Navitimer, opting for the A23322 in order to get the blue with contrasting subdials, and it would be just my luck for them to restore the white/silvered subdials back to the blue version on a B01 in 46mm.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:14 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 4 posts
So no B01 blackbird?

Selita is basically an ETA made by a different swiss factory.