The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:08 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I bought a Breitling Colt chronograph A53035 (Steel bracelet) back in the mid 90's.
I know this is only a 'Cheap' quartz movement Breitling, but £850 was quite a lot for me back then.
It works fine to this day... Albeit I now require reading glasses and prefer a clearer watch face for my day to day watch.
I'm going to give it to my son as he likes it.
It's had several services/battery replacements since its purchase 20 odd years ago.
It's working fine right now, but the last service was a few years back so I reckon I will at least get a battery change and re-seal for him - so I know it will be good for a few years before replacement.
I'm wondering if I should have a service or just change the battery ?
I understand the requirement and cost with an automatic mechanical movement, but I've never understood why I've been forced into expensive servicing every few battery changes with a quartz watch. (..."We cannot guarantee a battery change alone as it's not been serviced for several years blah blah"...)
At least I know they've played with the movement as believe it or not, the hands have changed a couple of times over the years !
It's had a chronograph 'second' hand with the Breitling 'B' logo fitted - as a model A73350, but this reverted back to a straight hand at the last service...
(I never asked for either change). I actually quite liked the logo 'B' version, but I suppose a purist would prefer the 'Original' hands ?
Anyone have any thoughts as to whether or not the service cost is justified and who should perform the battery change ? -
Costs can vary dramatically as I've been quoted from £50 for battery re-seal and test, to £500 for full service (Subject to inspection !) from Breitling...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:47 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. As you've looked after that watch for all these years and you're passing it on it would be a shame if it was damaged by an inexperienced watch repairer. There are tales told by forum members about damage caused to chrono pushers, poor sealing etc. At least with Breitling you get a year's warranty and they'll do the job properly, for a price admittedly. That watch still carries value and good ones still command about £1K on that auction site. There are many repairers offering battery changes and reseals for Breitlings but I've never used any so can't recommend anyone. It's your call but I'd go Breitling and ask for a breakdown of what they intend to do and the cost. At least you have the chance to refuse any work you feel unnecessary, for eg crystal change or cosmetic work.

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:48 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hi,
Many thanks for your reply.
I've sort of persuaded myself to have a 'Battery and re-seal' carried out by Breitling.
I'll duck out on the service - I'm not paying £500 to give it away with the watch !
it'll still be £140 !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:36 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
Wise move, better safe than sorry...........

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:38 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
GAQ wrote:
I've sort of persuaded myself to have a 'Battery and re-seal' carried out by Breitling.
I'll duck out on the service - I'm not paying £500 to give it away with the watch !

I'm surprised Breitling will do that where you live. In Australia, I wanted just a battery change from them, and it was verboten without a service...which cost a small fortune.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:21 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 8 posts
Here in Belgium its no problem just to a battery change without a service (Breitling B1)
It cost about 110 EUR for a battery exchange.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:22 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
Having serviced both mechanical and quartz watches over the years, I will tell you servicing a quartz watch is no ride in the park. I would much rather work on a mechanical watch. The quartz movements are typically much smaller and keeping the magnetic rotor away from everything while you clean the rest of it is a challenge. Re-positioning the rotor in the plate is a major PITA. Unfortunately, to prolong their useful life, quartz movements do require scheduled cleaning and lubrication just like any other movement. If it were mine I would have it serviced, especially since it will be a family heirloom.

When I get a watch in for service that I know is going to be passed down to another generation. I go to great lengths to restore the watch, case, crystal, etc. to as close to original as possible. Of course, part of that effort is on my time.

good luck with it!

Super Avenger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:50 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hello

Outside of the watch should be clean and checked for potential faults.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:11 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 14 posts
Not a problem to get just a battery service from the Breitling Boutique in Manhattan. The last time that I had it done on a B-1, it was somewhere around $100. Interestingly, when I did the same at the Omega Boutique for an X-33 Skywalker, it was half that price.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:29 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
I take my Breitling Quartz to my (authorized) dealer which changes batteries for approx. 20 € - which I already was told is "extremely expensive", as normal jewellers take 5-10 €.
I guess expectancies differ. I have two Breitling Quartz watches, which see approx. each two weeks usage per year, if that much, $200 each two years for 4-8 weeks, that would be a little much. Must still have money to pay for the expensive yet necessary repairs after a few batterie changes, when the movement breaks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:22 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 4 posts
I'd buy a new one. It will be not that much more than a service if you get it from a gray dealer like jomashop and then you have a new watch or a backup watch. There should be some big discounts on new quartz colts soon.

If you do want to keep it may want to get it pressure tested, if it fails you can get it serviced.