Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:35 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi there
Not active on this forum much, I just wear and enjoy them mostly. But it's time for some changes maybe. My favorite is my Aerospace from 1994. And looking to buy a new Aerospace, but there are a few things I don't like about my current, so I wanted to check with you knowledgeable guys, if these "issues" have been solved.

-I'd like a Week # display, often used at my place of work. I see that B50 and B55 have it, but not Aerospace according to my brochure. But I read a rumour that new Aerospaces would get the computer from B50 and B55, and thereby Week numbers. Is that true? Has it happened?
-Changing e.g. the alarm time hours, that requires quite a violent turn of the crown. I have to take the watch off and still only get it done every other turn. Are new Aerospaces easier
-It's not impressive in accuracy. It was when I bought it, less than 1 second per year, yes indeed. But I assume Super Quartz are a lot more accurate
-I can't see the time when it's dark, but newer can? NVG compatible lightning?
-It now comes with a yellow dial which I always wanted

I'm also contemplating selling my 1461/52. It works, and it was at Breitling in 2006. But I've worn it daily in periods, so some scratches, so not sure how to price it. Any suggestions on what normal wear deducts from the price, before I advertise it? I have the paperwork

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:26 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Nobody that can answer some if not all of my questions please?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:31 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Is there another Breitling Forum with more activity/answers? Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:35 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
With respect to pricing on a pre-owned watch the normal advice is to check the sold listings on eBay, they will give you an idea of what similar pieces have sold for. You could also check listings on Chrono24 for similar watches, however keep in mind that these are asking prices and you may have to factor in the cost of a service given that it has been over ten years since your watch was serviced. WRST the aerospace questions, they are not my forte so you will have to wait for someone with expertise is those watches! Happy Thanksgiving!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:12 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 16 posts
The Navi is probably worth around 2500 in the condition it looks to be in and with that strap. I have the B50 as my daily worn watch and it does do everything you are inquiring about. I would not buy the Aerospace as the single crown makes it very awkward to use. Having the 2 pushers on the B50 means it is simple to manipulate all of the functions. Save your pennies and buy a grey market unit and you will probably not wear another watch. The B50 wears awesome and does everything you would need in a quartz watch.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:40 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
i could not agree more w superpop;
i had an aerospace and i had to return it
it is too small and hard to operate w one button;
got the b50 nigh mission instead, on the other hand it costs twice as much than the Evo
best,

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:16 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 36 posts
superpop wrote:
The Navi is probably worth around 2500 in the condition it looks to be in and with that strap. I have the B50 as my daily worn watch and it does do everything you are inquiring about. I would not buy the Aerospace as the single crown makes it very awkward to use. Having the 2 pushers on the B50 means it is simple to manipulate all of the functions. Save your pennies and buy a grey market unit and you will probably not wear another watch. The B50 wears awesome and does everything you would need in a quartz watch.

I don’t necessarily agree with the above.

I have owned a 42mm Aerospace Tuxedo dial since 2013 and I still have it on my wrist today. The single crown operation has never been a problem to me and to me the form factor, looks and comfort of the watch are unmatched in the Professional line.

I also had a B50 Cockpit Night Mission and ditched the watch after 1 year of ownership. The watch is great on paper but it is lacking. Accuracy is nowhere near as promised by Breitling and Breitling USA washed their hands and flat out refused to fix it after sending it 3 times back to headquarters in CT. According to them, the movement can not be adjusted. Are you kidding me? An $8K superquartz movement that has no means of regulation????

Terrible resale and truth be told, no one wants them. Watch is too big and thick for more normal sized wrists. Reliability concerns with the movement and poor warranty coverage further eroded my confidence on the piece. Traded for a new Rolex Milgauss GV Z-Blue dial and never looked back.

I made the mistake of selling a fine 2011 Airwolf 100 years of Naval Aviation limited edition watch for the B50 Cockpit. What a mistake. The build quality in the older B1/Airwolf much better than the B50/55 and more reliable not to mention cheaper watches to purchase.

I have to say that unless you need gazillion functions, steer away from the crappy B50. If the single crown operation of the Aerospace
Bothers you, your money is better spent on a pre loved B1/Airwolf/Chronospace. Proven ETA superquartz movement that can be regulated and easier to service if need be.

Also look at the Omega options, Z33 Spacemaster and X33 Skywalker.

No Quarter likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:44 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I also really like the flatness and lightness of the Aerospace. So let me get this straight. An Evo is adjustable but a B50 is not? Is an Evo adjustable by a slider or screw inside or something more "computerized"? I change the battery on my Aerospace myself, and still dive with it. That's one of the advantages of having a 23 year old scratched model, you dare use it... ;-)

So trying to answer my own questions:
-No week display on Aerospace
-On the youtubes I've found on newer Aerospaces being demonstrated, it still looks like it takes quite violent turning of the dial to move between functions, just like mine
-Accuracy, so it can be adjusted on Aerospace? Also my old one?
-Backlight, yes available on newer models, not on mine
-Yellow dial, saw a limited edition with that on you tube. Beautiful, but it loses some of that instant being able to see time, that's one thing I think the Aerospace is the best in the world, especially the older models as the newer gets more and more added to the face

So to conclude, I should maybe keep my 23 year old for now. But would like to get it adjusted. Can I do that myself?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:31 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

You can certainly adjust the movement but it is not recommended if you don’t have proper tools and training to do so. Best left to Breitling or a professional watchmaker that knows what they are doing.

My Aerospace is current running at 10 secs per year (0.03 secs a day) which is good enough for me.

You also have to understand the concept of “Quartz aging”. This is a given with quartz movements found in $20 and $10000 watches. The quartz crystals age and accuracy will tend to deviate through the years/decades. This is why the quartz crystals in Grand Seiko 9F watches are harvested and cherry picked by Seiko to further minimize the effects of aging.

Again, there is nothing complicated about using the single crown in the Aerospace. Rotate the crown by resting your thumb in the bezel and place the side your index finger under the crown. Then you rotate by smoothly sliding the finger under it. Very easy and effective technique.

The mistake most people make with this watch is trying to grab the small crown in between the tips of the thumb and index finger, thus trying to rotate the crown as if you were winding up a mechanical watch. Bad technique that doesn’t work on the Aerospace!.

I enjoyed the week display and the myriad of functions the B50 had but grew tired of the hockey puck size and the seemingly less than superquartz accuracy. What ended up souring me on the watch was the less than caring attitude of Breitling USA to make it right under warranty.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:38 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks for the help. I've decided to buy this, just my colours and choice of band:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/391613789971

And I've now put my Navitimer limited edition with weeks up for sale:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/172999678033?s ... 1558.l2649

Breitling for ever! :-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:25 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 16 posts
I certainly hope you get what you want from your Navi but I would suggest that if you are going to ask that much for it I would send it to Breitling first for a full service and polish. You indicated above that it was at breitling in 2006, that was 11 years ago so it is way past due for a service plus you would get a warranty on the work. Otherwise you are priced at full retail on the grey market for a new watch with warranty and a new strap.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:17 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Good choice. I am very partial to blue dials myself. Enjoy that new Aerospace EVO.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:59 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

superpop wrote:
I certainly hope you get what you want from your Navi but I would suggest that if you are going to ask that much for it I would send it to Breitling first for a full service and polish. You indicated above that it was at breitling in 2006, that was 11 years ago so it is way past due for a service plus you would get a warranty on the work. Otherwise you are priced at full retail on the grey market for a new watch with warranty and a new strap.

You're probably right, but I won't get it serviced, that's up to the buyer. There are various prices out there, but I've lowered to 4300, probably more fair. Thanks for input