The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:03 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 49 posts
I think this is good news. I’ve bought and sold a few watches over the years from various brands, but have always kept my first serious watch (SOH from ‘08). I love the classic Breitlings—Navi, Chronomat (before the BO1), Aerospace—but haven’t seen a new one that has really spoken to me. I am excited to see what the next few Basels bring.

So which lines would you thin? Need to keep the Navi line, but do they need so many Navi variants? Also need to keep the Professional line, but could they cut some? They can’t cut the Emergency or Aerospace. How about the SuperOcean line? Avengers?

If you were CEO what would you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:48 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
I'd be fine with keeping the Navi line the way it is but I can see the World and new Heritage model going away in time. I'd offer one version of the Chronoliner with the B01 movement and make the blue version available as a standard model. One thing I really like about the Chronoliner is the option for the mesh bracelet or the Navi bracelet.

For the Chronomat, I'd put the same bezel that is on the Airborne and keep the same dial combos. I'm not sure if I'd keep the GMT model around though.

I'd only keep the 42 and 44mm versions of the current Superocean around. I don't think the 36mm is that appealing to most women, but I could be wrong. I'd drop all the Superocean chronos since I think they're too close to the Avengers and the Colts.

The Avenger is probably the toughest line to thin since they all seem to be special editions. Personally, I'd bring back the titanium chrono avenger with it's more military look. There's demand for the Super Avenger so that would stay. I don't know if it would make sense to introduce a Breitlight series that only features models in those cases, but I'm not sure there is a need for several different Hurricane models. Within the Breitlight series, I'd throw an automatic movement into the Colt Skyracer but remove the Colt from it's name.

I'd keep the Transocean chrono and the 1461 model but remove the pilot and worldtimer models. I like the retro/vintage vibe from the 1915 but I think it could be slightly different. Fred's pictures on here give enough inspiration for the vintage top times that I'd love to see an updated version. The 38mm version of the Transocean would be a offering in a larger size, maybe that fits in somewhere.

Since they just invested money into adding the ceramic bezels to the SOH models, I'd probably just offer it in one size for both the 3 hand and chrono model.

I like the Colt line as an try level piece but there should be something to make them different than whatever comes of the Avenger series. I think the Colt Lady goes away and the only offering is the Colt 36. I could see that going away as well but then you're left with no womens models.

For the professional line, I'd just get rid of the Chronospace.

Not sure how many models there would end up being, but that's my stab at thinning the herd. It's not near 60-80%, but I think a good amount can be removed/replaced.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:53 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 4 posts
My AD said they aren't going to change 80% of models but "get rid of 60% of SKUs." I could see them going the vintage route though since they have a huge vintage design portfolio to draw from and vintage is hot right now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:57 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I totally missed this. :wowzers Could be very exciting times for Breitling..... for the first time in quite a while IMO.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:16 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I did see they're now offering the Chronoliner in blue and bronze in the standard model.

https://www.breitling.com/en/news/detai ... liner-5269

While I'd love to see the offer the boutique version across all ADs, I can't complain about the new color options.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
can‘t really yet talk about it too much, but sitting in the head office in Grenchen, writing this.

exciting times in many aspects, for the brand, for the collector community and even for this forum, I hope.

stay tuned ;)

jnelson3097 likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:37 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
WatchFred wrote:
can‘t really yet talk about it too much, but sitting in the head office in Grenchen, writing this.

exciting times in many aspects, for the brand, for the collector community and even for this forum, I hope.

stay tuned ;)

Crikey. Given the common observation that Breitling is bizarrely poor at reimagining its back-catalogue (cp for example Omega), and given Fred's peerless collection from the back-catalogue, this is an extremely titillating post...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:13 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

WatchFred wrote:

stay tuned ;)

Sounds great Fred!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:26 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
WatchFred wrote:

stay tuned ;)

Wow! Now there's some promising news! OK, Fred -- you've definitely got our attention. Looking forward to good things to come. The fact that you are involved in some way with where things may be heading is certainly an encouraging sign... :D

As for me, every year when the Baselworld wish list threads start up, I'm always keeping fingers crossed for "Heritage" watches inspired by models from the Willy Breitling era. I'm still hopeful Breitling will look to its past to help chart its future. (I think that Omega has done a nice job of this over the last few years).

In that respect, I've always considered the Transocean Chronograph to be the modern incarnation of the "Top Time" (ref. 810). I'd love to see the Transocean Line revamped to embrace some of the other Top Time models from yesteryear, including versions with only two subdials, as well as a square-case version (a la the Sixties).

I'd do away with the Transocean Unitime Pilot and Transocean Chronograph Unitime, in favor of a non-chronograph model that revives the look and vibe of the vintage Unitime. In a similar vein, it might be interesting to add a true Datora back into the mix (not the Montbrillant Datora, which combined aspects of the Datora and the original Chronomat into a single model).

I'd do away with the Colt and Galactic lines entirely. I've always felt that the Superocean line needs to be re-invented from scratch. Perhaps do away with the Superocean/Superocean Heritage distinction to streamline things.

Ah, well -- who knows? Really looking forward to some interesting times ahead! :lingsrock:

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:55 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
interesting points and suggestions, Jim - what I can say is that the „new“ Breitling under Georges Kern will have the greatest respect for the astounding brand heritage, will (finally!) embrace social media, will listen and respond.

truly hope you‘ll be pleasantly surprised in many ways and even more hope you’ll love some of the models the company is already working on, not even 8 weeks after the new management took over.

and we‘ll soon hear a bit more.

3 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:17 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 14 posts
Moana43 wrote:
WatchFred wrote:

stay tuned ;)

Wow! Now there's some promising news! OK, Fred -- you've definitely got our attention. Looking forward to good things to come. The fact that you are involved in some way with where things may be heading is certainly an encouraging sign... :D

As for me, every year when the Baselworld wish list threads start up, I'm always keeping fingers crossed for "Heritage" watches inspired by models from the Willy Breitling era. I'm still hopeful Breitling will look to its past to help chart its future. (I think that Omega has done a nice job of this over the last few years).

In that respect, I've always considered the Transocean Chronograph to be the modern incarnation of the "Top Time" (ref. 810). I'd love to see the Transocean Line revamped to embrace some of the other Top Time models from yesteryear, including versions with only two subdials, as well as a square-case version (a la the Sixties).

I'd do away with the Transocean Unitime Pilot and Transocean Chronograph Unitime, in favor of a non-chronograph model that revives the look and vibe of the vintage Unitime. In a similar vein, it might be interesting to add a true Datora back into the mix (not the Montbrillant Datora, which combined aspects of the Datora and the original Chronomat into a single model).

I'd do away with the Colt and Galactic lines entirely. I've always felt that the Superocean line needs to be re-invented from scratch. Perhaps do away with the Superocean/Superocean Heritage distinction to streamline things.

Ah, well -- who knows? Really looking forward to some interesting times ahead! :lingsrock:

I'd certainly prefer a Chronomat 41 with the dial layout of the original Datora (years 1940-50, Valjoux 72C movement)! A 40 mm Navitimer B01 should also follow suit, again with a simple full calendar. Oblique date windows on every B01 should be changed (thank G'd the B01 isn't an El Primero...): either on the same place but perpendicular (like that of the 7740-driven Navis) or placed at 6. But best is a Big Date at 12.... A day-date Chronomat 41 would also be fine by adding the Big Date at 12 and a pointer day at 6, common axis with the 12H counter.
On the technical side an upgrading the "pacemeker" part of the B01 with the Tudor escapement, silicone parts and direct regulation on the balance wheel.
Double-pusher micro-adjust clasp for the steel bracelets.
That's all for today. Fred, send my regards to Georges!
Best,
Robert

For sale: Sinn 356 II, Porsche Design Titan Chrono Valjoux
Wanted: Breitling Blackbird 13353 on bracelet

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:29 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
WatchFred wrote:
interesting points and suggestions, Jim - what I can say is that the „new“ Breitling under Georges Kern will have the greatest respect for the astounding brand heritage, will (finally!) embrace social media, will listen and respond.

truly hope you‘ll be pleasantly surprised in many ways and even more hope you’ll love some of the models the company is already working on, not even 8 weeks after the new management took over.

and we‘ll soon hear a bit more.

I won't bother to try and guess what they come up with, but hope they do make models more wearable as far as size goes, and hope to see some new designs/teasers by Basel 2018.

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:16 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

I'm also hoping to see satin finish embraced more on cases and bracelets...

3 people like this post.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:54 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 9 posts
This comment was just posted by Louis Westphalen (new head of Digital Marketing and Heritage at Breitling) on another forum:

“I can promise you a lot of exciting things for 2018, especially if you like vintage Breitling :)

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:48 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Well, I just noticed yesterday that the SOH 44 Chronograph has gone the way of the Passenger Pigeon on Breitling's website. I'm sad to see this, as I have always viewed this model as one of Breitling's best offerings. Guess we'll see what develops...