The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:23 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Well I finally pulled the trigger and am now the proud owner of my first Breitling. I gave it the required 40 winds to start it off but do not have a watch winder. My question is a, is it OK to keep manually winding it on a regular basis, b, how many winds a day to keep it going and c, I used to wind my manual wind watches 1/2 turn forward and 1/2 backwards method, is this OK for this watch?
Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
yes, all is ok, any winding direction you feel like using - and wind it whenever you feel like it. you did not tell us in what rotation you'll be wearing the watch, so impossible to tell if it will need to be manually wound or not, but there is no risk involved, so wind away.

congrats and enjoy your new Navitimer !

quietman likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:22 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks WatchFred, I'm thrilled with the watch and don't want any drama. I need to get a watch winder but don't want to spend silly money, any suggestions/recommendations greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:53 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Nobody "needs" a winder. If you don't want to spend money then take 30 seconds a day to wind it manually.

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:54 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 37 posts
Roffensian wrote:
Nobody "needs" a winder. If you don't want to spend money then take 30 seconds a day to wind it manually.

yeah, as always, roff is right... but that works best if you've got the one watch... the more the more complicated!

if you're thinking of a winder, it probably means you've got several watches. if that's the case, my experience is AVOID the cheap stuff!
30£ will get you three months before you start being annoyed with the irregularity or failure... best case the noise!
trust me, i started that way!

if you REALLY want/need a winder, i would recommend Aevitas. they work great, have individual settings (if multiple watches are involved) and are reliable...

hope this helps!

enjoy your watch,

pg

Mark Twain

- -- - -- -

Navitimer World
Avenger Seawolf
SuperOcean
Crosswind Special
Headwind
Montbrillant Datora
SuperOcean Heritage 46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:48 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 42 posts
If you wear the watch every day you never really need to wind it. But if you only wear it every send or 3rd day a wind every day like Roff says is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:44 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice. I have a couple of Christopher Ward watches I like to wear and a Seiko Diver I wear when I work. I have a cheap winder for my Seiko that winds for 1 hrs then rests for 3hrs, I have it set using a timer plug to only wind between 9am and 9pm but I'll definitely check out the recommendations. Thanks again for all your advice. PS. I'm absolutely loving my Navitimer but feel a little nervous wearing such an expensive watch on a day to fay basis,however I didn't buy it to leave it in the box.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:29 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 11 posts
If you're looking for a nice winder that won't break the bank, check out Wolf winders. I have 2 of them, a viceroy module 2.7 and another viceroy with the top storage pocket. I paid around $250 for the storage model on overstock a couple years ago. I got the other used on eBay for 100 bucks. They're very quiet, fully adjustable, and run for over a year on a couple D batteries.

I was worried about wearing expensive watches daily too, so I got a valuable personal property policy from Usaa that covers my watches and the wife's jewelry against damage, theft, or loss. I have 25k coverage with zero deductible for about 20 bucks a month. We already used it once when the wife dropped one of my watches and it had to get the crown replaced and a chrono repair. Doh!! They paid for everything with zero hassle and authorized it being sent directly to Breitling. I would think other insurance companies would offer similar policies.

Enjoy that Navi 01. I had a really hard time deciding between the navi 01 limited blue face and a Milgauss, but went with the Rolex mainly because nobody ever knows what my Breitling is. Lol. Plus, I'm a tech person and always loved the history of the Mille. My next watch will definitely be a navi though.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:33 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I've got similar insurance myself but I still feel a little weird wearing it. It's fascinating to hear why you chose the Milgauss (I like the white face version myself), I chose the Breitling because nobody know what it is! It's good that we're all different or the world would be a boring and predictable place. Thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:10 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 11 posts
Wear the Navi!! Life is too short too worry about it. Enjoy!

Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Rolex Submariner Date Ceramic