The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:06 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 16 posts
Purchased a new B50 from an AD 6 months ago and two months in the lower LCD started acting glitchy and not displaying all of the pixels. Sent it back in for repair and they fixed it and now it is doing it again. Called them up and asked for a replacement and all they can offer is to fix it again. This will be my 3rd and last Breitling as there is clearly an issue here and rather than swapping my 6 month old watch for a new one, they want to keep trying to fix mine. Meanwhile my warranty is burning up and I do not have use of this very expensive watch for weeks at a time. Very disappointed in the lack of customer service.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:37 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 7 posts
Sorry to hear this... I have a B50 since last September and fortunately I had no issues so far... I know the first batch of watches had some problems, maybe your is one of those.. can you tell the first 3 numbers of your serial number stamped in the rear cover?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:41 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:43 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
Did you have problems with the other two and were they quartz too?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:59 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 7 posts
180 means it is quite new... mine is 172xxx and was built in June 2015. As far as I know the first batch (the one with problems) was 170xxx

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:10 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I had a B-1 back in 2004 and I also have a SOH Chrono 44 that has been great. Ironically I purchased the SOH from Costco so if I ever have a problem with that one I can simply return it but I thought I would start buying from AD's with my new watches. I am just surprised that they would not replace it after two identical service issues on a very new watch. Losing some faith in the brand to be honest.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:19 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 10 posts
Sorry to hear that.

I have a b50 blue dial titanium - old batch & a b50 night mission yellow - newer one.

My older one didn't trouble me too much but yes! The functions don't change in a linear fashion for CCW motion of the crown but they do for CW motion. My newer one bottom chrono pusher doesn't click the same way as the top pusher but the functions work fine.

These issues can crop up anytime for any owner. You've not been specially chosen :) I totally agree that twice in for the same service is not done. On a personal note, purely my opinion for conversation sake, they'd normally only fix the watch by changing the movement because a watch replacement would mean a new movement and a new casE and the case doesn't need replacing. Just my 2 cents.

As a fellow breitling enthusiast, I'd say send it in and speak to breitling guys directly followed by a serious email stating the concerns. I'm sure you'll have it fixed this time around.

pEaCe 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:23 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 36 posts
They will fight you hard if you insist in a new watch replacement. They will only offer to fix it and hope that you go away as soon as the measly 2 year warranty expires.

I am selling my B50 which has been in all fairness very good. Was thinking of getting a B55 Exospace but I am losing motivation between the poor warranty coverage and BUSA's snotty attitude of refusing to do the right thing by standing behind their product.

Consumer laws in the US don't help either. People that have had similar issues in the U.K. Have gotten replacement watches because consumer laws there are much tougher.

Breitling service is not what it used to be. And I am having doubts about them under their new ownership. Buyer beware.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:12 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
Quote:
I am having doubts about them under their new ownership. Buyer beware.

I sincerely doubt that new ownership has made any sweeping new changes! It has only been weeks since the sale was completed, and I doubt that their first order of business will be to replace every watch that has had a warranty issue with a new one. When you consider what a warranty is for, you realize that they are doing what they need to do (i.e. fixing the watches). My biggest complaint is if you have a warranty issue, then your warranty should be extended by the time needed for service and or have a set period of time added to the warranty. It is frustrating to lose the use of an item for 6-8 weeks (or twice that for multiple issues) when the warranty is only two years!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:45 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Breitling does "extend" the warranty by 1 year after the repair/intervention has been completed. However, I believe the B50/55 with their so called "In-house" SQ calibers should benefit from the 5 year warranty offered on the in-house mechanical Bxx movements.

Sure they are honoring the warranty (Honestly, they have no other option by law) but when a watch exhibits chronic issues that require multiple go back visits, that should raise deep concerns regarding the quality and reliability of the piece after said warranty coverage expires.

The Swiss watch industry is going through a bad time, much of their own making, and they need to understand that in the case of Breitling, very few people are willing or prepare to drop thousands of dollars on a Quartz watch, no matter how good and exquisitely finished it might be. Spending upwards $5K-$6K on a Quartz watch that is presented and marketed as the best of the best, the "Instrument for professionals", it is not unreasonable to expect high quality and he manufacturer to step on the plate when the watch does not meet minimum quality and reliability standards for the asking price.

No one needs a $8000 retail Quartz watch. Quite frankly there are many Quartz watches, Casios, etc that are many times cheaper, yes they are ugly as heck and not as well finished, but replicate of the functions found in the Breitlings with the quality to match.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:51 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
Quote:
Breitling does "extend" the warranty by 1 year after the repair/intervention has been completed

That may be true if the intervention happens in the second year of ownership, however, if a watch is service three times in the first year and returned within the first year, I do no believe that the warranty would be extended past the original two years. My opinion is that due to the lengthy service times, Breitling and any other manufacturer should extend the warranty for the time period that the customer loses use of it.

Quote:
so called "In-house" SQ calibers

When these SQ calibers were first introduced they were referred to an in house by Boutique sales personnel. They no longer refer to them as in-house calibers, they refer to them as a in-house design, this differentiation was instituted because they do not carry a five year warranty!

Quote:
Spending upwards $5K-$6K on a Quartz watch that is presented and marketed as the best of the best, the "Instrument for professionals", it is not unreasonable to expect high quality

I agree completely!

Quote:
No one needs a $8000 retail Quartz watch

And in the same token, no one "needs" a $10,000 mechanical watch nor any other luxury item that is manufactured and made available day in and day out. But that is a discussion for another day!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:56 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 30 posts
sugarpop I can empathize with the frustration you are going through. My navitimer world had problems and I had to go through three iterations of the warranty repair service before the watch was exchanged for a new one. Left watchless for a month at a time.

The whole experience puts a cloud on the whole "instruments for professionals" and the high quality standards the company claims to live by.

These things seem to be a luck of the draw. Where if you are the unlucky one you end up with a lemon. Whereas other watches just seem to be able to last a long time before needing any repairs. You'd think for watch of this stature, it would not be something to even worry about.

I hope they are able to truly fix the issue on the next iteration. Your experience puts the brand's resolve to man up to your problem to the test. If it is not to your satisfaction, nothing sends a stronger message than voting with your wallet for your next purchase.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:18 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 48 posts
Took delivery of a Super Ocean 36 five days ago that replaced a 2 month old one with winder issues.

The 5 day old one has stopped twice dispite it being worn for 16 hours per day, it has needed to be wound manually twice, it is going back for a refund this time.

Very disappointing QC/build.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Arcam on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:04 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Terrible QC at Breitling. Makes
You wonder what's going on at the trenches. They make beautiful watches but not compelled to drop any more coin on another one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:03 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 11 posts
Arcam wrote:
Took delivery of a Super Ocean 36 five days ago that replaced a 2 month old one with winder issues.

The 5 day old one has stopped twice dispite it being worn for 16 hours per day, it has needed to be wound manually twice, it is going back for a refund this time.

Very disappointing QC/build.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Did you try to wind the crown at least 40 FULL TURNS and see how long it runs for?

OP sorry to hear about your issues. I'd be pretty upset in your situation. Good luck on this.

Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Rolex Submariner Date Ceramic