Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: B04 Settling In
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:43 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
(This is a question about the B04, but it would probably apply to the B01 as well.)

I recently bought a Transocean Chrono GMT, one of the 2013 run of 2000 in steel. I bought it new with plastics, etc from a dealer on fleabay. I looked at it under magnification. No signs of wear and the plastics are in place on the case, so I'm pretty sure it's an unused 2013.

As usual I did a full wind and power reserve test. I got the full 70 hrs but the watch was running way slow. Consistent, but about a minute and a half per day slow.

After it wound down fully, I set it and wound it fully again. At this point it was running slow, but not as slow as before -- but it was erratic. I let it run for a couple of days like this and it varied from a -45 sec/day rate to a -1:00/day rate. Weird.

I gave it a top-up wind on the second day, and reset the minute hand. Let the Chrono run for half a day. Suddenly it was running fine. Consistent. Now, 4 days into that regime I haven't had to set it. I've been busy and haven't paid too close attention to the watch, but I noticed today it was spot on as far as time. No minutes lost in four days.

So, my question is: have any of you 01 or 04 owners experienced anything like this? I've heard of new watches "settling in" but this seems extreme.

Overall it seems to work fine. Chrono is smooth, no jumping off the 12, no stutter. The activation button needs a good push to activate, but otherwise all is good. Any special care and feeding for these movements? I'm thinking maybe it likes to have the chrono running?

Post subject: Re: B04 Settling In
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:41 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Watch was sitting for an extended period of time and the oils had migrated. After running it the oils around the arbors became better distributed, reducing friction and improving accuracy. Not at all unexpected for a watch that had been sitting for some time.

Welcome to BreitlingSource.

WantAnother likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:05 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks for the welcome.

If the oils migrated, they seem to have found their way home. Since posting I did a more exacting check. The watch seems to be remarkably consistent now. It's a great relief. (I figured with a new/old watch it would need servicing in a couple of years, but I was hoping to get a couple of years.)

This is my first Breitling, btw, but I do have other watches in its league (Rolex, Omega Co-Ax) and haven't experienced this kind of wild behavior out of the gate.

:lingsrock:

Last edited by WantAnother on Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:19 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 36 posts
I bought my Navitimer 01 brand new and it was manufactured about 8-10 months before purchased. It ran about 10-12 seconds per day slow for the first few weeks. Now it's running about -2 seconds. So it's not unheard of even after only sitting for less than a year.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:54 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Dr Balance, I'm thinking it's not age-related. My watch settled into a very nice +2 sec/day, then it got all erratic again. I'm thinking I'll have to take it in, but just to be sure I'll give it a few more weeks.

I was getting bummed, then...

In the mail comes a Breitling hat, from BUSA in CT. Wow, suddenly I'm all happy with the brand again. Amazing what a $10 premium can do!

:lingsrock: