Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:23 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi All,

First post from a newby as I'm thinking of getting my first Breitling but just a little unsure if I'll be paying way over the odds or making a sound investment.

The unit I used to serve with are having a limited edition of 25 Aerospace Evo's made. On the front the face will have a Sqn badge and aircraft at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and on the back in 3d relief/engraving is a crest and names, dates etc.

The watch looks lovely and for sentimental reasons I'd love to have one, the problem is Breitling want just over £5000 for them and looking around this seems to be close to double what you can pick them up for if not the actual the RRP.

The other thing is where I can see a mechanical watch lasting for ever as long as it's looked after the Aerospace is electric so as with all things electrical probably won't last anywhere near as long.

As I said I'd love to get one but it's a lot of money for something which may only last a few years and will be worth less than half what I paid for it the moment I pick it up.

Many thanks in advance,

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:05 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:55 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 16 posts
Hi Jim,

You're the only one who can answer whether a unit specific limited edition is worth the money to you. As far as longevity of an Aerospace goes, scan Watchrecon or some of the other sales sites. Lots of older Aerospaces still going strong. I don't see one having a significantly different lifespan than a good mechanical, it's the same story for a Superquartz or mechanical Breitling, regular maintenance and reasonable care.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:51 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 13 posts
Aerospace Evo is £3,500 on a PRO III bracelet, minus what discount you can blag (20%?). Unless your unit is the Red Arrows or something equally exotic, I'd be surprised if you could sell it at a later date for a premium above the going rate. Aerospace Evo seem to go for between £1,500-£2000 for good used examples. £5K for a LE of 25 seems rather expensive, though the engraved case back may cost a bit more. Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:12 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Thanks guys, I think I'll give this one a miss and maybe put the money towards a nice vintage one instead.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
I love my Aerospace, but I have to say that £5k+ for one is price-gouging. Really, that's ridiculous; you'd think that any expense incurred in making the limited edition would be counterbalanced by the guaranteed purchase order.