The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:35 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Gentlemen, hello! First time poster. I've been browsing the forum to get a fix on my new planned purchase but in-depth research has just made it all the more difficult.

I already have a Breitling Navitimer World and it remains one of my favorite watches, although I tend to wear it more on occasions that call for a brown strap. I am now looking for a daily wear which is rugged, comfortable and practical. I mentioned the Navitimer to establish that I don't mind the 46 size. This new one is going to be a birthday present from the missus so I would really like to make the right decision, exchanging or selling it off is not an option.

I really liked the B55 when I visited the Breitling store in London. It sits very well on my wrist and felt comfortable. I was almost sold on it until I browsed the forum and came across the many known (and potentially unknown!) issues associated with this new(er) watch. My second option would be the B50 (due to similar looks, but I like to keep up with my tech so the B55 was an ideal choice) but then again the forum is full of threads with known issues with B50, although the general consensus seems to be that the issues were more frequent in earlier batches and that current models seem to be without.

Browsing the Breitling website, I find the Chronospace Evo Night Mission or Aerospace Evo totally acceptable but I would really prefer the 46 or at least 44. The other options are Chronospace Military or Chronomat 44 Black Steel.....which basically tells us what kind of watch I want to purchase.

My top 'wants':
1. Titanium
2. black/dark bezel
3. min 44 size, ideal is 46

So now, my first choice being B55, the arguments here are that (1) QA issues, (2) watch hands do not align properly, (3) Bluetooth is on its way out and (4) dead pixels on the LCD. So my questions are:

1. Does the B55 remain unreliable as an investment, or has Breitling addressed the issues

2. People say Bluetooth will soon be obsolete but I am not aware of any current or even emerging tech that could replace the utility or practicality of BT. NFC doesn't even come close due to the proximity limitations, so why exactly would BT be 'on its way out'? Didn't they just release a new BT protocol with lower energy consumption and greater range? Is it really prudent to write off the watch on this basis?

3. If the B55 movement is unreliable then the B50 becomes the second best option. Would you guys advise me to go for that? Are the known issues resolved by Breitling?

4. As for the other remaining options, which one of them is the most reliable as a timekeeper and makes the most sense? Looks-wise they are all similar, I like collecting watches but I am no expert. I try to purchase one 'nice' watch every year and I would like this one to be an informed decision.

Thanks for your time and for the incoming help & advice!

TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 / Panerai Luminor Marina 1950 / TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 1887 / Breitling Navitimer World / TAG Heuer Carrera Carbon Calibre 1887 / Omega Speedmaster Dark Side of The Moon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:42 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 14 posts
I can only speak to the B50 and in well over a year, mine has been rock solid. It needs infrequent charging, has spectacular timekeeping, is the perfect size for me at 46mm. While I bought it on the bracelet, I wear it on the rubber with the titanium deployment. I have owned every version of the Aerospace that Breitling has made and while I liked the Aero EVO, the B50 is a better size and has easier to use functions. Second place would be a SQ B1 with a UTC bracelet.

darkblack likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:53 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply, so that's 1 vote for the B50. Did you ever consider the B55?

Can you elaborate on the 'infrequent charging'? As a daily wear, how often should I expect to charge the watch?

TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 / Panerai Luminor Marina 1950 / TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 1887 / Breitling Navitimer World / TAG Heuer Carrera Carbon Calibre 1887 / Omega Speedmaster Dark Side of The Moon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:46 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
My B50 has to be charged monthly (on average). Interestingly enough, after receiving it back from biannual servicing, it kept its charge for almost two months before charging but since then it's back to monthly. No complaints--this is my daily watch.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:41 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

BUFFDriver wrote:
My B50 has to be charged monthly (on average). Interestingly enough, after receiving it back from biannual servicing, it kept its charge for almost two months before charging but since then it's back to monthly. No complaints--this is my daily watch.

Thanks for the reply. How long does it typically take to charge?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:25 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 7 posts
A full charge takes about 1,5/2 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:03 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Donsaimon wrote:
A full charge takes about 1,5/2 hours

That's not too bad! Ok, so B50 is back on the table :D

Just wondering: if the Breitling store does have the B50 in stock is there any way of ensuring the watch isn't from one of the earlier batches? The ones with the known issues? Serial number perhaps? Or am I being too paranoid?

I really, really wanted to get the B55 but I see the point made about depending on BT for the future. I collect these watches so I could pass them on to my son someday, who is 10 now. 10 years down the line who knows where technology will be? I don't want this watch to end up being something that "used to work great, but doesn't connect to the phone anymore".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:37 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Look at the serial number. If it begins wih 170, that watch is one of the early. Mine starts with 172 (production summer 2015) and it is OK, without issues.

This is mine

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Hunterfate likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:03 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

That is one gorgeous watch! Wear it in good health sir.

Is that a special edition? What's that logo on the left? Did you buy it with the canvas strap or change it later? I would like to try the canvas strap but I just don't like the tang type buckle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:12 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Yes it is limited edition (55 pieces for the night mission version + 55 pieces for the natural titanium version) to celebrate the 55th anniversary of Frecce Tricolori (italian aerobatic team, the analogue of your Red Arrows). The logo is the Frecce Tricolori one.
This version was only sold with the canvas strap. Black for the night mission version, or military green for the natural titanium color version.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:24 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:23 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 14 posts
I must charge mine about once every 5-6 months. I used to have to charge it more often when I had the tilt function enabled. That seemed to eat battery life with no real benefit on my end. Most of the time the watch was under shirt cuffs and I didn't even see it light up the display on tilt.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:28 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Mine has been charged the first time when I bought it 10th o September (2016). Today battery is at 45% (tilt function disabled). I think I will charge it when it will drop to 20% so I think sometime in the middle of January 2017 (so after 4 months)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:07 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, gentlemen :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:59 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
termite wrote:
Second place would be a SQ B1 with a UTC bracelet.

I love my SQ B1, and want a UTC bracelet for it! But the new Co-Pilot bracelet is nice too.