The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:52 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 17 posts
So I have a bit of a tangential question. I've been lusting over the Tudor Black Bay Bronze for a while now. I'm in the camp where a manufacture movement means a lot to me. The BBB claims to have an in-house movement (MT5601), but now I'm questioning if this is really in-house or if it's a facade like we've seen here with the SOHII. Does anyone know if the MT5601 is truly manufacture?

Navitimer 01- Limited Edition #1337/2000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:10 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 46 posts
Interesting read following this discussion. https://monochrome-watches.com/tudor-br ... e-opinion/

Bozman the Tudor black Bay has a real manufacture movement yes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Breitling Navitimer 01
Omega Seamaster 300mc
Omega Speedmaster Pro "Mitsukoshi Mod"
Seiko Prospek Orange Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:48 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
Huttfuzz wrote:
Interesting read following this discussion. https://monochrome-watches.com/tudor-br ... e-opinion/

Bozman the Tudor black Bay has a real manufacture movement yes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Good article. Good collaboration in business sense, but not a good move from branding point of view. B01 should have been just remained exclusive to Breitling IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:02 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
Chronomat01LE wrote:
Good article. Good collaboration in business sense, but not a good move from branding point of view. B01 should have been just remained exclusive to Breitling IMO.

Not sure I agree. There has been talk of Breitling being sold, and this could be either because it is struggling or because it is at a good point in its business cycle. Either way, selling it's movements beyond the number of watches it produces just seems like good business sense. If they are struggling, this might help get them out of trouble. If they are not, then this move would make the company a more attractive purchase proposition.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:22 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 14 posts
I have very mixed thoughts and emotions on the new developments between Breitling and Tudor:
If I were to buy a non-chrono watch I'd be extremely happy with the Tudor-driven SOH2 42 mm in blue! This movement is a quantum leap forward! Free-sprung balance wheel, balance bridge, silicone hairspring are things I'd wanted for a long while to arrive at Breitling! The interesting and sad thing is that while the non-chrono Tudor equipped with this escapement arrives into the SOH with the same escapement, and the B01 sold to Tudor also has the Tudor-specific upgraded escapement - alright no balance bridge but with the direct micro-adjust on the balance wheel and silicone hairspring -, Breitling unfortunately does not seem to get the Tudor escapement for the B01 to be built into Breitling watches...
There is a rumour (I've heard it from a man I trust very much, though the rumour is not proven and nobody is to prove it) that the in-house Daytona movement was designed by a small independent design studio in Zurich - and the B01 was designed by the same design studio - which is not a bad thing... Maybe (but not only) on this basis do I believe that in general the qualities of the B01 are equal to the Rolex cal. 4130 - except for the refinement of the escapement. I was waiting Breitling to do some upgrades on this but unfortunately arrived to see only a "full-in" limited run in the SOHC Chronoworks - for a ridiculous and strongly prohibitive price. Now there would be a wonderful chance to buy/use the much more refined balance and hairpring for the Breitling-used B01-s too but I do not see it yet and can only hope for this.
(A side-thread: the "full-in" Chronoworks arrived in a ceramic case which I appreciate a lot. I have one ceramic watch, an IWC ref. 3705 and love it. I absolutely refuse to buy any watch from any manufacturer that is surface-treated, a. o. the black DLC Breitlings too. So a ceramic Breitling case is highly welcome. But to choose a case shape by Breitling to introduce the ceramic material that has highly beakable - long and thin end part - lugs as the SOH series has is a misfortune: the one-and-only downside of ceramic material is the elevated chance of breaking. So I could have imagined a fatter-lug shape (e. g. SuperOcean or Chronomat) case to arrive in ceramics.)
I am not too happy that Breitling sells the B01 to other manufacturers, it could have remained a Breitling-only movement! Even to a manufacturer that produces first class watches like Tudor, that will never (in my life) totally escape from the image of being the poor mans Rolex, despite the strong effort of Rolex SA of departing Tudor from this prejudice.
I am a theoretic fanatic of the Daytona but will never buy it, as (upon a chronograph) I badly need functions of a (day-and-)date feature and a turning 0/60 bezel in everyday life. But construction, case shape and case size seem to be around ideal. The Chronomat 41 - which I am a proud owner of - fortunately has all these features: first class chronograph movement, date window, count-up turning bezel, 300 m WR instead of the 100 m for the Daytona, wider dial portfolio (BEB for me ever!) and an equal steel bracelet. Where the Daytona still has clear advantages: escapement (as mentioned above: balance bridge, free-sprung balance wheel with direct micro-adjust, special material hairspring with higher antimagnetism) and bracelet clasp (latter could be upgraded by me by the double-pusher Breitling clasp originally made for the rubber strap so it is not an advantage question any more). I would be very happy to put my hands on the Tudor escapement for the B01 some day... and hope it can easily be replaced. So, the Chronomat 41 was the model ever closest Breitling to the Daytona - and the Chronomat 41 is has just been phased out... cannot guess why. Even if the 44 is a better seller and I already put my hands on one this killing the Chronomat 41 hurts a lot.
The only two things yet to come to the B01 - not counting the better, more up-to-date escapement - (possibly in a 40-41 mm Chronomat case again!!!) is a weekday or a simple full calendar feature and a fly-back... Could not be happier...
Sorry for the long spot. As soon as I've posted it I'll have newer ideas to put down, maybe I'll edit it a few times... :)
Best,
Robert

For sale: Sinn 356 II, Porsche Design Titan Chrono Valjoux
Wanted: Breitling Blackbird 13353 on bracelet

Moana43 likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:27 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
Fully agree with Robert. That was why I mentioned, "great collaboration from business sense", because it helps reduce their costs for their manufacture and potentially increases their profit margin. However, it really degrades the brand's image IMO. B01 is Breitling's first in-house movement. They went to great lengths having their own exclusive movement. I am a sucker for in-house movements, because I appreciate the various patents and features in the particular movement that I don't find in other brands. It's a common consumer's mindset. Imagine paying thousands of dollars for an exclusive movement, only to realize later that this exclusiveness is no longer that exclusive anymore. I might rejoice if the collaboration partner is Rolex(I know that's not gonna happen). That is what Rolex is always good at, they know how to keep the critical "exclusiveness" to themselves. I know Tudor makes great watches, but the "lower-end Rolex" image is always there and it's hard to depart from that image. And Breitling has "positioned" themselves equivalent in that sense. It's a pity. Anyway I can only comfort myself that Tudor does modifications to the movement so it would not be a complete B01 that they are offering. I have no regrets getting my Chronomat and Navi, because I think they are value for money and I am paying way lesser for a quality that is on par with Rolex(IMO). My Chronomat remains my grail. I am so proud with how B01 could be enhanced to B04, B05, etc... and now even a higher end complication(B03) without having to redesign a brand new movement. This "upgradeable" feature is what I don't commonly see in other movements and I think it's really one of the best features I have ever come across in a movement. But still, with that kind of "brand positioning" now, I would think twice about getting more Breitlings in future.

Robertus61 likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:47 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 14 posts
Chronomat01LE wrote:
...Anyway I can only comfort myself that Tudor does modifications to the movement so it would not be a complete B01 that they are offering...

Chronomat01LE I agree with you except one point: As you wrote you hope Tudor does modifications to the B01. According to official photos yes, Tudor does modifications but on the way most important point, the escapement the Tudor version is way more valuable than the original B01 escapement. Regarding surface treatment the Breitling version is nicer with its Geneva stripes but it is only a cosmetic aspect and transforming the minute counter to a 45 min. version is not worse, not better, just different (to follow the Tudor Monte Carlo tradition). So the only point that really counts brings the Tudor version to the first place. I would be very happy if this Breitling-Tudor deal would result in the B01 getting the Tudor escapement. But it's only my two cents thrown in of course.
Best,
Robert

For sale: Sinn 356 II, Porsche Design Titan Chrono Valjoux
Wanted: Breitling Blackbird 13353 on bracelet