Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Breitlight
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:14 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
Good to see Breitlight filter into other models. I'm curious though, due to it's lack of weight & durability, I'm surprised it hasn't been introduced into the pro line of watches(yet?).

For my work the B55 is nearly the perfect watch, & I've been toying about getting it for ages. My suunto is great for notifications & durabilty, but the Breitling is more usable for aviation, & travel. The only issues with the current line for me, is the DLC scratching up & the skeletal hour hand. The case made of Breitlight, I thought would be a no brainer for the larger pro watches, & would solve the DLC issues holding buyers off. Fingers crossed!

Post subject: Re: Breitlight
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:53 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
davo wrote:
Good to see Breitlight filter into other models. I'm curious though, due to it's lack of weight & durability, I'm surprised it hasn't been introduced into the pro line of watches(yet?).

For my work the B55 is nearly the perfect watch, & I've been toying about getting it for ages. My suunto is great for notifications & durabilty, but the Breitling is more usable for aviation, & travel. The only issues with the current line for me, is the DLC scratching up & the skeletal hour hand. The case made of Breitlight, I thought would be a no brainer for the larger pro watches, & would solve the DLC issues holding buyers off. Fingers crossed!

If Breitlight becomes the new DLC for Breitling, then I think we can all rest assured it'll appear on many, many, MANY watches over the course of the next few years! :wink:

If something like the Hurricane gets shrunken down to circa 44mm (and keeps the in-house movement) then I'll definitely consider one myself.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:20 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

What is Breitlight? Is it more resilient than the black steel coating that they put over the normal stainless watches?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:33 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
nwalker001 wrote:
What is Breitlight? Is it more resilient than the black steel coating that they put over the normal stainless watches?

From Breitling.com via our friend Google -

"Extreme performance, through the innovative use of Breitlight®, a world-first achievement on a watch case. 3.3 times lighter than titanium and 5.8 times lighter than steel, but significantly harder, this exclusive high-tech material boasts a number of qualities: exceptional resistance to scratches, traction and corrosion, anti-magnetic, thermal stability, anti-allergic properties – as well as a touch that is warmer than metal and a slightly mottled effect accentuating the originality of the design."

Essentially it appears to be fibres (possibly carbon, although Breitling say it is not forged carbon) in some kind of extremely hard polymer. Forged carbon is the closest in feel.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:46 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 811 posts
Considering the size of new Breitlight watches, I think maybe smaller cases would loose the needed rigidness to hold the movement.

We'll see soon...

Post subject: Breitlight
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:24 pm 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 1005 posts
I really like the Breitlight case material, I would love to see a Chronomat get this treatment, I also think the B50 and B55 should be offered as well.

Being extremely lightweight can somehow cheapen the feel of the piece, however I believe the material to be superior to SS in that it's basically scratch proof and tough as nails. Exactly what Breitling embodies.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:14 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

The pro watches would generally get beaten up more than most others in my opinion, as they get knocked around & exposed to tougher environments. This is what they are made to do day in, day out! I like many are reluctant to change my pro watch to a DLC as I know it will cop a beating & scratch up within an hour. You can't polish the scratches out too. Now breitlight should change this, if it's tougher & more scratch resistant than black steel dlc, I'd consider dropping decent coin to get a second gen B55 made of the stuff. Time will tell. I would have thought the E2 would have been the ideal show piece to launch it with!