The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:10 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I sent my 19 year old Aerospace to the Sydney Breitling Service Centre last week. The watch was functioning perfectly, only with the display flashing as it needed a new battery. I thought I could have the $220 maintenance service, which would include battery replacement, seal replacement and pressure testing as stated.
Silly me! The quote came back for $1,930.58 for essential service (which included a new movement!), and an additional $2316.03 for optional items to bring the watch back to new. I spoke to the charming service manager who explained the Breitling International standards, etc, etc,etc, and that they had to do the minimum $1,930.58 service to give me a 12 month guarantee. I told her that I only wanted the basics, and did not require a guarantee, but this fell on deaf ears!
I'm 75, and love my watch, but do not wish to pay this sort of money for only a short time longer.
Please can anyone tell me where I can obtain seals so that I can take it to my local watchmaker (who is Omega certified) and get the job done cheaper?
In essence, I have a fully functioning watch that requires a simple service. Any suggestions, please?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
I change the batteries myself and that costs me $5. Any competent watchmaker should be able to do the battery in about 10 minutes. My advise, if the watch is still functioning properly and you don't plan on going diving with it, is to replace the battery and go about your daily routine and not worry about it. You can easily pick up this model Aerospace in great condition for about $900 so more than that for a service doesn't make a lot of sense.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:10 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

heck, if I were in your position, with that watch, I'd just head over to Youtube and size up the battery change procedure. if you're unsure, find a trusting neighbor to do this and buy them lunch. i've not explored what is needed to remove the back though and it can be tricky to do it properly and without scratching. proceed carefully

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:12 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I've always had the battery replaced locally, no problem, but the last time the watchmaker warned me that the seals should be replaced, but that they couldn't do this as they couldn't access the parts.
Hence my note!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:48 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

ahh, in my haste for dinner, I overlooked the gasket need. that does complicate things a tad. wish i had a better suggestion for how to source this part a la carte from an independent jeweler vs having to go for a total reconstruction

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:05 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
any watchmaker worth their salt should be able to find and insert a fitting gasket ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:05 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thank you all for your comments so far. However, I think the concern was for the seal/gasket around the crown. Can someone who knows what seals are required throughout the watch, and if they are special, please comment? Breitling said in their quote "Parts no longer available to service the movement. The watch requires movement upgrade and new case back"!
Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:51 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Breitling seem to have a massively over-inflated view of the value of their products. This isn't the first case I've heard where the cost of a service exceeds the value of a watch. They quoted me about half the value of mine (I'm in UK). The "maintenance" service for a mechanical watch is a joke and not worth doing in my view.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:38 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I picked up my watch from Breitling and went to another watchmaker in Elizabeth Street, Sydney, who checked the seals, replaced battery and pressure tested in 30 minutes for $50. The watch is on my wrist, working perfectly (for me!!!).
Thanks for the comments. Whilst at Breitling's I wore my 50 year old Omega Constellation which kept perfect time..........!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:13 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 3 posts
I'm in the US. For the nearly 15 years I've owned Breitlings, I've had the option of taking my watch to a nearby 3d party Breitling-certified horologist for service. A few months back when I contacted them to set up sending in my Transocean Day-Date for basic service, they told me that Breitling now only allows them to service vintage (pre-1980) watches. All modern watches must now be sent to Breitling in CT, due to Breitling massively expanding its own service facility there. They obviously are looking to recoup their capital investment.

So while in the past I've been able to enjoy reasonably priced service with no unnecessary upsell and fast turn around times, I guess I'll have to try out the factory service now, at least for my mechanical watches. Otherwise, I'll have to look for a "back alley" jeweler with unsanitized case tools to do the work from now on. I only need "water-resistant" capabilities for my watches anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:02 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Well, I hope you have deep pockets!! I'll be interested to hear the quote for your mechanical watch!