The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:21 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 14 posts
I wonder what is the reason why the Chronomat 41 (my personal favourite of all Breitlings) is not in the 2017 Breitling catalog while the official Breitling website has this model?
Thanks for any kind input! Best,
Robert

For sale: Sinn 356 II, Porsche Design Titan Chrono Valjoux
Wanted: Breitling Blackbird 13353 on bracelet

Post subject: Addendum
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:06 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Addendum: just discovered, that my other fav, the Steelfish Chrono has also disappeared from the 2017 Catalog - what is happening here? My only hope that Basel will bring new offspring models of both.
Any opinions? Maybe dealers?
Thx!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:24 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 9 posts
I couldn't tell you what is happening to the Chronomat 41 specifically (or the Steelfish Chrono, for that matter). However, it is not unusual for recently discontinued models to remain on the Breitling website as long as ADs have ready stock on hand. In effect, the watch is still available if you can go out and buy it, even if Breitling no longer makes it, and the website is designed to reflect that.

Since you have the catalog, can you tell me what's up with the Airborne variants? Is the 41 gone in that, too? Is the 44 Airborne still available, or did those go the way of the dodo?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:28 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
I'm pretty sure there is plenty of Chronomat 41s out there at ADs

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:01 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

JacksonStone wrote:
I couldn't tell you what is happening to the Chronomat 41 specifically (or the Steelfish Chrono, for that matter). However, it is not unusual for recently discontinued models to remain on the Breitling website as long as ADs have ready stock on hand. In effect, the watch is still available if you can go out and buy it, even if Breitling no longer makes it, and the website is designed to reflect that.

Since you have the catalog, can you tell me what's up with the Airborne variants? Is the 41 gone in that, too? Is the 44 Airborne still available, or did those go the way of the dodo?

Thx for your reply! Seems that Airborne 41 is also gone, Airborne 44 is still there. I have both my Chronomat 41 and Steelfish Chrono so just wondering why the two models that I like most from the recent sortiment are discontinued. Probably they'll introduce offspring models... If you ask me there is way more similarity e. g. between the Avenger II. Chrono and the Colt Chrono Auto than between any of them and the Steelfish Chrono... so still don't understand. According to my humble opinion the Chronomat 41 is the watch that has the closest race with the Daytona in many aspects so...
Best,
Robert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:59 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
Robertus61 wrote:
JacksonStone wrote:

Thx for your reply! Seems that Airborne 41 is also gone, Airborne 44 is still there. I have both my Chronomat 41 and Steelfish Chrono so just wondering why the two models that I like most from the recent sortiment are discontinued. Probably they'll introduce offspring models... If you ask me there is way more similarity e. g. between the Avenger II. Chrono and the Colt Chrono Auto than between any of them and the Steelfish Chrono... so still don't understand. According to my humble opinion the Chronomat 41 is the watch that has the closest race with the Daytona in many aspects so...
Best,
Robert

I guess 41mm is not a popular size among Breitling models so that's why they were discontinued. However IMO they could have scaled down the production of the 41mm instead of discontinuing them. Don't understand their way of conducting business but their "unusual style" is nothing new. For example, many models with smaller sizes could have sold well, but Breitling chose to classify them as female models and killed a big chunk of potential buyers.

Robertus61 likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:27 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Chronomat01LE wrote:
Robertus61 wrote:
JacksonStone wrote:

Best,
Robert

I guess 41mm is not a popular size among Breitling models so that's why they were discontinued. However IMO they could have scaled down the production of the 41mm instead of discontinuing them. Don't understand their way of conducting business but their "unusual style" is nothing new. For example, many models with smaller sizes could have sold well, but Breitling chose to classify them as female models and killed a big chunk of potential buyers.

Totally agreed. BTW it would never disturb me if a manufacturer says about a watch "female" or "unisex" - if I like it I wear it. :)

56scooter likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:19 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
sadly, the large ostentatious INVICTA size appeals to many younger folks. when I see them
hawked on the home shopping channel or at the local Costco, I'm thinking that the person must
have the wrist size of the Hulk to be able to pull it off. 41-43 tops is the best my 6.75" wrist
and dress shirts can handle without customizing

Last edited by waltermitty on Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:08 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

waltermitty wrote:
sadly, the large ostentatious INVICTUS size appeals to many younger folks. when I see them
hawked on the home shopping channel or at the local Costco, I'm thinking that the person must
have the wrist size of the Hulk to be able to pull it off. 41-43 tops is the best my 6.75" wrist

I have 6.75" wrist to and I feel comfy with my 39 mm Chrono Cockpit - or the IWC Fliegerchrono 3706, while my sweet spot is around 41 (maybe 42) mm.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:32 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
It would be a very strange move to discontinue the 41mm as quite a few manufacturers are now also offering slightly more traditionally sized models. But like others have said, maybe Breitling's research into their demographic tells them something different......

Personally I've actually shifted downwards in size as I've got older. At one point the only watches I'd even consider were between 44mm and 48mm, but over time I've started to appreciate a slightly more subtle look, plus I just like the convenience of wearing something that fits under my work shirt cuffs, and doesn't make me look like I've just won the lottery and bought the biggest shiniest thing I could find!

Nowadays I'm more comfortable in the 40mm - 44mm range, and I've got to say my 40mm Rolex BLNR is probably the most comfortable (and practical) watch I've ever owned. This watch hobby really is a never-ending journey.

Site Moderator

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:02 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 2 posts
I am employed by and AD and have heard that the Chronomat 41 is being discontinued; however, Breitling still has some in stock, they will not be b making anymore Chronomat 41's though. As far as the Airborne 41, I believe it is the same story.
Steelfish Chrono I am not sure what is going on with that. Hopefully, Breilting decides to redesign it because it is a very cool watch.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:17 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

spencerd wrote:
I am employed by and AD and have heard that the Chronomat 41 is being discontinued; however, Breitling still has some in stock, they will not be b making anymore Chronomat 41's though. As far as the Airborne 41, I believe it is the same story.
Steelfish Chrono I am not sure what is going on with that. Hopefully, Breilting decides to redesign it because it is a very cool watch.

Thanks a lot for the info! I wonder why Breitling is dropping the only normal size Chronomat but this way the value might rise a bit... (though I do not want to sell mine!)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:34 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 9 posts
There's been a bit of buzz in another well-known watch forum (and maybe here elsewhere...although I haven't seen it) that Breitling may be bought up by a conglomerate due to increasing financial problems. If that's true, Breitling may be trimming the fat of their offerings to shore up losses. Perhaps the 41 just isn't selling as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:37 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
Even if it's discontinued, there are still plenty of them left if anyone wants one

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:55 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 91 posts
waltermitty wrote:
sadly, the large ostentatious INVICTA size appeals to many younger folks. when I see them

Of that size appeal I am glad !!!

Many watches I could never wear due to the appearance of being "too big" on my wrist , and those bordering on acceptable could be viewed as a vulgar display of something or other .
but these days nothing TOO radical looks out of place .

I'm now getting to wear a few breitling watches I could never get away with when I originally saw them .
Emergency , sea wolf , m1 etc where simply "too big" 15-20 years ago .

I'm still not sure a large shiney super-avenger or similar would fit well in my mirror , but out in public it wouldn't look too out of place .

God bless DIXON , and god save the WRIST-CLOCK !!! :)

My biggest problem is watch-winders don't seem to be designed to suit anything over 37mm , and I have the scratches to prove it :lol: