Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: B50 bezel on B55
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:05 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 16 posts
Doing a google search on the B50 and B55 and it would appear that someone put a B50 bezel on a B55 Exo. Is this possible, I love the concept of a connected watch and would buy the B55 if it had the same bezel as the B50, the bezel on the B55 is the one thing I am not wild about. Also, is the B55 the only Breitling with IOS integration.

Post subject: Re: B50 bezel on B55
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:43 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 36 posts
Be aware of connectivity complaints with the B55 Bluetooth. Some claim the watch loses connection as soon as the phone is placed 2+ feet away from the watch.

Also too much planned obsolescence with this model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:47 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

As to the bezel, the cases are different but might be possible.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:13 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
avantgardetime wrote:

:yeahthat To be honest, even the potential for movement obsolescence puts me off buying any expensive quartz models full-stop, but I'd be very very wary of dropping Breitling-money on the B55 because for all we know Bluetooth may be a thing of the past in 6 months. We just don't know.

It all depends on how long you plan to keep a watch for.

In terms of the bezel swap, then even if it is possible (and I couldn't tell you if it is or not), your biggest problem would be getting hold of the replacement bezel itself as Breitling wouldn't sell you one.

Site Moderator

Post subject: B50 bezel on B55
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:57 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Yes and I think this is the same brick wall owners of the Airwolf encountered when wanting to swap the compass bezel with the timing bezel from the Skyracer (Same exact case shared between the two). I have never seen an Airwolf with a countdown timing bezel or a Skyracer with a compass bezel.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:11 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Driver8 wrote:
avantgardetime wrote:

:yeahthat To be honest, even the potential for movement obsolescence puts me off buying any expensive quartz models full-stop, but I'd be very very wary of dropping Breitling-money on the B55 because for all we know Bluetooth may be a thing of the past in 6 months. We just don't know.

It all depends on how long you plan to keep a watch for.

In terms of the bezel swap, then even if it is possible (and I couldn't tell you if it is or not), your biggest problem would be getting hold of the replacement bezel itself as Breitling wouldn't sell you one.

Since the B50 doesn't have BT it is probably better shielded against becoming obsolete. The Caliber 76, 78 & 79 are still used in other Ana digi Breitlings and most of those ETA thermoline based movements have been around for the better part of 20-30 years. The 76 is used today in the Emergency 2, the 78 is used in the Chronospace Military and the 79 in the Aerospace EVO.

The bigger concern is how Breitling will continue to support the BT connectivity features and app in the short and long term? Sorry but this is uncharted territory for Breitling. They are not a technology conglomerate but rather a legacy traditional Swiss watchmaker. Will they still support this watch when the iPhone25 comes
Out?

Also Breitling is up for sale and who knows if the new incoming owners will justify the business case for the B55. It is the second most expensive watch in their current production stable. Expensive Quartz is a very hard sell, even during the best of times. Also keep in mind that the B55 movement and BT module was co developed with Soprod and the phone app is done with a 3rd party in Switzerland....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:11 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 16 posts
I tend to agree and have decided on the B50. Just need to find the right deal. Besides I already have an Apple Watch gen 2 that does so much more than the B55 and is somewhat disposable based on the price paid. Just surprised that a quartz watch in general is so expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:45 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
avantgardetime wrote:
Since the B50 doesn't have BT it is probably better shielded against becoming obsolete. The Caliber 76, 78 & 79 are still used in other Ana digi Breitlings and most of those ETA thermoline based movements have been around for the better part of 20-30 years. The 76 is used today in the Emergency 2, the 78 is used in the Chronospace Military and the 79 in the Aerospace EVO

Oh I agree with you, but quartz technology by it's very nature becomes obsolete over time as manufacturers can't keep making the same quartz movements forever. Technology moves on, and unlike mechanicals where cogs and springs can always be fabricated, you can't necessarily fabricate parts for quartz movements once they go out of production. I know that watches like the Pluton (that was last produced in the mid 90's) are no longer supported by Breitling, so while admittedly that means that the "newest" units are still 20 years old, they will still have a finite lifespan.

To me (and this is just my personal opinion of course) quartz is always a somewhat disposable technology over time, but like I said above, it really all depends how long you plan to keep a watch for.

Site Moderator