Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ar coating question
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:38 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 7 posts
I have a chronomat with a smudge in the ar coating. It looks like theres a portion where the ar has somehow rubbed off. This watch is about to go in for a servicing. Will this issue be addressed by Breitling during the servicing?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: ar coating question
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:18 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
Only if you request that the crystal be changed. It is possible to re-coat but Breitling won't do it. The other option is to remove the AR coating completely using a cape cod cloth and a bit of effort. Remember the crystal does have AR on the underside anyway.

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:45 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Anyone have any idea how much the new crystal will cost, if the watch is already at Breitling for the 5 year overhaul service?

I've tried searching the forums, but can't seem to find a conclusive answer.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:24 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 46 posts
osubuck wrote:
Anyone have any idea how much the new crystal will cost, if the watch is already at Breitling for the 5 year overhaul service?

I've tried searching the forums, but can't seem to find a conclusive answer.

I think it's about 2-300$ dollars.

Breitling Navitimer 01
Omega Seamaster 300mc
Omega Speedmaster Pro "Mitsukoshi Mod"
Seiko Prospek Orange Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:51 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
I believe they quoted me around $230 for my seawolf last month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:28 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Thanks guys. It's annoying, that on top of the $850 service, I'm going to have to drop another $200+ but I might as well do it while they have the watch there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:01 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 4 posts
I have paid approx 300 for a 39 mm chronomat crystal. On a 44 mm blackbird the quote for crystal at busa was 560. Cost depends on the size and curvature of the crystal.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:17 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

560 just for the crystal?? I'm hoping that includes cost of service

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:11 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
osubuck wrote:

Dream on, thick and highly domed crystals are expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:03 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 9 posts
osubuck wrote:

If the only problem with the crystal is a flaw in the AR coating, you might consider either living with it, or removing it. Personally, I've grown weary of AR, to the point where it has become a disincentive for me to buy a watch that has it. The biggest selling point of sapphire is its hardness, and the fact that it is virtually scratchproof. It makes no sense, then, that Breitling (among many other companies) put a coating on it that shows scratches much more easily, essentially nullifying the whole point of using the sapphire in the first place. That they do not offer an affordable re-coating option, but instead will only replace the crystal at full cost, adds insult to injury - especially since the new crystal will likely end up showing the same flaws that made you replace the old one to begin with. Put another way: if you own a watch with AR coating on the crystal, accept that at some point you will likely see some scratches. I've never had one that didn't.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:24 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
JacksonStone wrote:
osubuck wrote:

If the only problem with the crystal is a flaw in the AR coating, you might consider either living with it, or removing it. Personally, I've grown weary of AR, to the point where it has become a disincentive for me to buy a watch that has it. The biggest selling point of sapphire is its hardness, and the fact that it is virtually scratchproof. It makes no sense, then, that Breitling (among many other companies) put a coating on it that shows scratches much more easily, essentially nullifying the whole point of using the sapphire in the first place. That they do not offer an affordable re-coating option, but instead will only replace the crystal at full cost, adds insult to injury - especially since the new crystal will likely end up showing the same flaws that made you replace the old one to begin with. Put another way: if you own a watch with AR coating on the crystal, accept that at some point you will likely see some scratches. I've never had one that didn't.

A good point well made..

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:25 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 36 posts
osubuck wrote:
Thanks guys. It's annoying, that on top of the $850 service, I'm going to have to drop another $200+ but I might as well do it while they have the watch there.

To me the cost of maintaining mechanical watches is disconcerting and has turned me off from owning them, or at least, more than 1 at any given time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:57 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 43 posts
avantgardetime wrote:
osubuck wrote:

To me the cost of maintaining mechanical watches is disconcerting and has turned me off from owning them, or at least, more than 1 at any given time.

Totally understand!. I used to own multiple watches at once but when I calculated how much it would cost me to service it, I would have nightmares!. Now, I'm down to 2 watches. A citizen titanium caliber 2100 eco drive and a Breitling Navitimer 01 Limited Edition. So just one watch to service which isn't a big deal since it's my favorite watch!.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:08 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 9 posts
Sniper wrote:
Totally understand!. I used to own multiple watches at once but when I calculated how much it would cost me to service it, I would have nightmares!. Now, I'm down to 2 watches. A citizen titanium caliber 2100 eco drive and a Breitling Navitimer 01 Limited Edition. So just one watch to service which isn't a big deal since it's my favorite watch!

I've more than once considered a Grand Seiko quartz, motivated in part by the minimal service requirements, to say nothing of the extreme accuracy. The movements are completely sealed, so even when the case is opened for battery changes, the inner workings are never exposed to outside influences, keeping the oils intact for much longer. Seiko used to imply the movements could go up to 50 years before requiring a service (not including batteries, of course), but that's never really been confirmed. Even so, it's an attractive proposition from a service cost standpoint. Maybe some day...like when I start facing massive service bills on my autos.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:53 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 43 posts
JacksonStone wrote:
Sniper wrote:
Totally understand!. I used to own multiple watches at once but when I calculated how much it would cost me to service it, I would have nightmares!. Now, I'm down to 2 watches. A citizen titanium caliber 2100 eco drive and a Breitling Navitimer 01 Limited Edition. So just one watch to service which isn't a big deal since it's my favorite watch!

I've more than once considered a Grand Seiko quartz, motivated in part by the minimal service requirements, to say nothing of the extreme accuracy. The movements are completely sealed, so even when the case is opened for battery changes, the inner workings are never exposed to outside influences, keeping the oils intact for much longer. Seiko used to imply the movements could go up to 50 years before requiring a service (not including batteries, of course), but that's never really been confirmed. Even so, it's an attractive proposition from a service cost standpoint. Maybe some day...like when I start facing massive service bills on my autos.

Grand Seikos are nice!. I too on many occasions came close to buying one but something stops me. It's a mechanical yet has some electronic components which when it comes down to it, I think is the reason I stop. I like my autos 100% mechanical!. Now, the quartz you are talking about is a good option as it's not a hybrid. Do you have a model number for the 50 year quartz?. Sounds interesting!.