It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: ar coating question
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:38 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 9 posts
Sniper wrote:
Do you have a model number for the 50 year quartz?. Sounds interesting!.

Any of the 9F calibres qualify, but the model on which I'd most likely pull the trigger is the SBGV007. That's a fairly recent, 40mm model (previous quartz models were 37mm and smaller), with an upgraded bracelet and finishing to match their Spring Drive and automatic models. GS also makes full autos, the hi-beat SBGH005 being a prime example. Talk about service intervals, though: the hi-beat calibres have their first recommended service at 2 years, due to the high degree of wear of the 36,000 vph movement. Add to that the fact that not all Grand Seikos can be serviced in the US and have to be sent back to Japan*, and the GS autos are potentially at the opposite end of the spectrum from the quartz models in terms of service convenience.

*I'm not sure which models fit this description, but it's something that should be confirmed by anyone considering a purchase.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:12 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 43 posts
JacksonStone wrote:
Sniper wrote:
Do you have a model number for the 50 year quartz?. Sounds interesting!.

Any of the 9F calibres qualify, but the model on which I'd most likely pull the trigger is the SBGV007. That's a fairly recent, 40mm model (previous quartz models were 37mm and smaller), with an upgraded bracelet and finishing to match their Spring Drive and automatic models. GS also makes full autos, the hi-beat SBGH005 being a prime example. Talk about service intervals, though: the hi-beat calibres have their first recommended service at 2 years, due to the high degree of wear of the 36,000 vph movement. Add to that the fact that not all Grand Seikos can be serviced in the US and have to be sent back to Japan*, and the GS autos are potentially at the opposite end of the spectrum from the quartz models in terms of service convenience.

*I'm not sure which models fit this description, but it's something that should be confirmed by anyone considering a purchase.

Every 2 years!!!...that must get really expensive. I just looked at the sbgv007. Very nice watch!. I know it's quartz but the finishing is superb and 40mm is a decent size!. 37mm is too small for my almost 8 inch wrist. Not too expensive either!. Do you know if there is a titanium version?.

Now all this talk about Grand Seiko is making me want to get one :-). I really appreciate high end Japanese watches. Owned at least 3 Citizen Campanolas. Beautiful watches but not as refined as Grand Seiko imo. For now, this is my only automatic.

This is my other one. Citizen Calibre 2100 titanium sapphire. Best value in watches imo. The movement consists of 294 parts and is solar charged. All for under $500.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:26 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 36 posts
I have owned 4 Grand Seikos, 1 JDM Quartz day/date model and 3 Spring Drives. All fabulous watches but my preference with the brand is the Spring Drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:37 pm 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 9 posts
Sniper wrote:
Every 2 years!!!...that must get really expensive. I just looked at the sbgv007. Very nice watch!. I know it's quartz but the finishing is superb and 40mm is a decent size!. 37mm is too small for my almost 8 inch wrist. Not too expensive either!. Do you know if there is a titanium version?.
The first service is recommended at two years. After that, they can be spaced out a bit further, but considering Omega and Rolex are saying their movements can go up to ten years between servicings, GS hi-beat autos are still relatively high-maintenance items.

As far as I know, the 007 is only available in SS.

Sniper wrote:
For now, this is my only automatic.
That's a nice one to have as your one-and-only.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:55 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 43 posts
JacksonStone wrote:
Sniper wrote:
The first service is recommended at two years. After that, they can be spaced out a bit further, but considering Omega and Rolex are saying their movements can go up to ten years between servicings, GS hi-beat autos are still relatively high-maintenance items.

As far as I know, the 007 is only available in SS.

Sniper wrote:
For now, this is my only automatic.
That's a nice one to have as your one-and-only.

Thanks for the info!. I love the Navitimer!. A legend and icon!.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:38 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 7 posts
To switch gears, do you guys recommend taking off all the AR coating before I send it in for service? That way, if I don't like it without the coating, I can always have the crystal replaced. Will BUSA have a problem with the coating being off?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:15 pm 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 1005 posts
They won't have a problem with it but they will ask you if you want to replace it. I was going to suggest to just remove the outer coating then you won't have an issue.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:36 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
avantgardetime wrote:
osubuck wrote:
Thanks guys. It's annoying, that on top of the $850 service, I'm going to have to drop another $200+ but I might as well do it while they have the watch there.

To me the cost of maintaining mechanical watches is disconcerting and has turned me off from owning them, or at least, more than 1 at any given time.

Also, Breitling is just so expensive to replace ancillary components. I was quoted $720 to change the color of my seawolf dial. Crazy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:37 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 36 posts
Service is where the money is made it seems.