It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Navitimer, the one?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:06 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
Hi everyone,

I'm new here. Please forgive my noob question.
I would like to add a Navitimer to my collection and need some advices.
Since I can't afford to buy a new one so I would go for a pre-owned and my question is :

Which model is the one (keeper)? Is it like Omega speedmaster that has the moon watch?

There are so many models and editions out there and I still can not decide. I personally like A23322 and Fighters A13330 because of the size and price.
What is your opinion on that?

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Navitimer, the one?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:19 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
If I were to get a Navitimer pre-owned, I would personally go for the Navitimer 01 Limited Edition, provided if you can find someone who wants to sell. IMO it will likely get more rare as time goes by and eventually it would be one of the most desirable Navitimer and even Breitling in future.

Karnie likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:48 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
Those are decent choices. Just be aware the A23322 does not have a quick set date, A13330 does. A13322 would also be an option, although your getting into older pieces that may need a service.

The Navitimer 01 with in-house movement runs a little larger at 43mm and will cost a bit more as you probably found out.

Good luck with your search!

Karnie likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:02 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I think of contemporary Navitimers the original in house LE is closest to 'the one' though I'm not sure it would be directly comparable to the moon watch. It will run more than your choices but I do know of one available.

Karnie likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:19 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thank you for your comments!
The 01 looks pretty nice but above my budget :(
Size actually matters since I have small wrist. My maximum case diameter is 41-42 mm.
You are right. I'm getting into old pieces because the new models are mostly too big.
Does the maintenance cost of in-house for older model expensive?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:45 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Karnie wrote:
Does the maintenance cost of in-house for older model expensive?

Service costs for ETA based pieces is lower than in house and there is no premium / discount for older pieces. However, there is a greater likelihood older pieces will need some kind of repair over and above the regular service due to age of parts - replacement wheels and arbors, mainspring barrel, crown stem, etc. On the flip side, you may be able to find one where those parts were replaced at the most recent service and you have a 'new' watch at an older piece price point.

Karnie likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:28 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thank you Roffensian. :) Great tips, I should also mind about that too.
Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:13 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 168 posts
Hi,

It's just me, but I think the older Nav's, despite not having an in house movement, still look iconic.

This is one of the smaller Breitlings in my collection, but it just looks great if your are wearing a t-shirt or a Suit.

And you can spot one 50 feet away in a restaurant, on the tube, anywhere.

I think mine was from 1992, referred too as an "Old." Navitimer. I'm probably wrong, I usually am. (Ask my wife..)

I'd regret not having it in my collection, that's for sure.

D

3 people like this post.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:13 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Karnie wrote:
Size actually matters since I have small wrist. My maximum case diameter is 41-42 mm.
You are right. I'm getting into old pieces because the new models are mostly too big.

I know you said the 01 is above your budget, but in terms of size I think you might be pleasantly surprised by the 43mm 01 as it wears significantly smaller than it's dimensions suggest. In fact I'd go so far as to say it wears smaller (on me at least) than a 40mm Submariner. But as you say, if it's outside your budget then size is a moot point anyway. :(

And to be fair, if the whole in-house thing isn't of great concern to you, then you could do a hell of a lot worse than something like Davey's superb Old Navi above. :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

Karnie likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:21 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
Damnfoolman wrote:
Hi,

It's just me, but I think the older Nav's, despite not having an in house movement, still look iconic.

This is one of the smaller Breitlings in my collection, but it just looks great if your are wearing a t-shirt or a Suit.

I think mine was from 1992, referred too as an "Old." Navitimer. I'm probably wrong, I usually am. (Ask my wife..)

D

Old Navitimer II with the arabics, one of my favorite, B13 movement with quick set date. Have looked on and off for one of those, still may find one some day. Agree these still look iconic.

Karnie likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:52 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Damnfoolman wrote:
Hi,

D

The old timer look great I think I will get this one. Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:01 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Driver8 wrote:
Karnie wrote:

I know you said the 01 is above your budget, but in terms of size I think you might be pleasantly surprised by the 43mm 01 as it wears significantly smaller than it's dimensions suggest. In fact I'd go so far as to say it wears smaller (on me at least) than a 40mm Submariner. But as you say, if it's outside your budget then size is a moot point anyway. :(

And to be fair, if the whole in-house thing isn't of great concern to you, then you could do a hell of a lot worse than something like Davey's superb Old Navi above. :thumbsup:

Interesting, If you said so about the size. I will get a chance to try it on first. About budget if it's realy the one and I like it, I'll save more money and wait for it.
What would you suggest about the Movement in general, in house or non-in house? In term of maintenance(repair) and collecting. I think the 7750 is also good quality and easier to get serviced.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:46 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Karnie wrote:
Interesting, If you said so about the size. I will get a chance to try it on first. About budget if it's realy the one and I like it, I'll save more money and wait for it.
What would you suggest about the Movement in general, in house or non-in house? In term of maintenance(repair) and collecting. I think the 7750 is also good quality and easier to get serviced.

Cheers!

If you try the 01 and find you like it the most, then I totally agree with you that saving up a little more is definitely the best thing to do. If you don't get exactly what you want, you will always regret it.

In terms of movement then personally I only go for in-house these days. To me, in these days of smartphones and the like, a watch has become a completely luxury item, so I tend to think why not go the whole hog? I know car analogies are very often used with watches, but that's probably because it makes a lot of sense to me - for example, I wouldn't buy a Ferrari with a Ford engine in it no matter how tuned up, powerful and reliable that Ford engine may be. I just like the idea that the whole watch is designed and built by the company who's name is on the dial. Yes in-house movements generally cost more to buy and to service, and many are far newer in terms of design (and therefore likely to potentially have teething problems) than the good old ETA workhorses, but because I see a watch as a luxury (and not a necessity) those are of minor concern to me.

In my opinion, the in-house vs non-in-house debate is just an extension of the mechanical vs quartz debate, and how you feel about it is entirely dependent on what's most important to you. If atomically accurate timekeeping is more important to you, then buy a quartz. If owning something slightly more "alive" and esoteric, built with just cogs, wheels and springs is more important, then buy mechanical. If reliability and cost, at the expense of exclusivity and potentially unique functionality is more important, then buy non-in-house. If exclusivity and knowing that the movement is unique to the brand, at the expense of cost and potentially reliability is more important, then buy in-house.

There are no right or wrongs, and just because I fall into the latter camp certainly doesn't make my opinion any better than someone who loves the super accuracy of Superquartz. It's just different strokes for different folks. :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

le_baron likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:44 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 43 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Karnie wrote:

Cheers!

If you try the 01 and find you like it the most, then I totally agree with you that saving up a little more is definitely the best thing to do. If you don't get exactly what you want, you will always regret it.

In terms of movement then personally I only go for in-house these days. To me, in these days of smartphones and the like, a watch has become a completely luxury item, so I tend to think why not go the whole hog? I know car analogies are very often used with watches, but that's probably because it makes a lot of sense to me - for example, I wouldn't buy a Ferrari with a Ford engine in it no matter how tuned up, powerful and reliable that Ford engine may be. I just like the idea that the whole watch is designed and built by the company who's name is on the dial. Yes in-house movements generally cost more to buy and to service, and many are far newer in terms of design (and therefore likely to potentially have teething problems) than the good old ETA workhorses, but because I see a watch as a luxury (and not a necessity) those are of minor concern to me.

In my opinion, the in-house vs non-in-house debate is just an extension of the mechanical vs quartz debate, and how you feel about it is entirely dependent on what's most important to you. If atomically accurate timekeeping is more important to you, then buy a quartz. If owning something slightly more "alive" and esoteric, built with just cogs, wheels and springs is more important, then buy mechanical. If reliability and cost, at the expense of exclusivity and potentially unique functionality is more important, then buy non-in-house. If exclusivity and knowing that the movement is unique to the brand, at the expense of cost and potentially reliability is more important, then buy in-house.

There are no right or wrongs, and just because I fall into the latter camp certainly doesn't make my opinion any better than someone who loves the super accuracy of Superquartz. It's just different strokes for different folks. :thumbsup:

I agree with this 100%. Saved me a whole lot of typing. Personally, as a flipper who has gone through at least 50 watches, I have learned a few things along the way. Firstly, NEVER buy a watch because it's a good deal unless you really like the watch!. I can't tell you how many times I would buy a watch because it was listed for a price too good to pass up, only to sell it shortly later. Secondly, NEVER settle for a watch you don't like as much in the hopes it will hold you over. Save up and get the watch you really want right from the start, even if it takes you longer to save up. Trust me, it will save you a lot of headache and $$$ in the long run.

I say get the inhouse 01 Navitimer. Try it on first and see how you like it. If you don't like it, then the inhouse thing is irrelevant . To me, the combination of a legend and an icon and an in house movement is a deadly combo!. No watch imo is as recognizable as the Navitimer. Out of all the watches I have owned, the Navitimer has gotten me the most compliments, by many who are not even watch people. The Navitimer has been around longer than any other mechanical chronograph and to have an inhouse movement after all these years just makes it that much more special.

Although I have always been a fan of the Navitimer, I never could get myself to buy one because of the Generic movement. To me, a watch feels very exclusive and special when it has an in house movement regardless of brand. Anyway, here is my Navitimer 01 Limited edition. Out of all the watches I have owned, It's my favorite watch by far. You feel the history on your wrist!. I picture old planes and a throwback to a different era. I love this watch!!!. Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up doing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:08 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Sniper wrote:
Personally, as a flipper who has gone through at least 50 watches, I have learned a few things along the way. Firstly, NEVER buy a watch because it's a good deal unless you really like the watch!. I can't tell you how many times I would buy a watch because it was listed for a price too good to pass up, only to sell it shortly later. Secondly, NEVER settle for a watch you don't like as much in the hopes it will hold you over. Save up and get the watch you really want right from the start, even if it takes you longer to save up. Trust me, it will save you a lot of headache and $$$ in the long run.

:yeahthat I'm probably not at 50 flippers myself, but I'm also probably not too far away either(!), so I totally agree with your points. I've personally "made do" on occasion due to lack of funds or availability, or not done enough research before buying, or decided to snap up a bargain.....only to end up selling it on within a matter of months (sometimes weeks, occasionally days!).

Only now, after being into watches for pretty much my entire life since I was a child (and "quality" watches for around 25 years) am I at a stage of knowing exactly what my keepers are. This watch interest/hobby/obsession of ours is all a journey, but heeding the advice above may help avoid it being an unnecessarily expensive journey! :lol:

Site Moderator