Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:23 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Greetings - posting.php?mode=post&f=11&sid=a1205c2be6d7c53b5ac77cf63cdf18f0#
I have an Aerospace two tone (gold markers) rubber strap.

Took it in for a 'battery" - Needs a new mechanism at 1200 CDN.
Apparently the new mech is larger so it also needs a case back, and of course to waterproof a new crown.
Total repair looks like 1500 CDN.

I can buy the whole watch on the used market pretty close to that.

Any suggestions. I would even consider making it into a 'FrankenWatch" if anyone knows what I can stuff into it :)

Welcome to any thoughts. I would like to keep it as it has sentimental value.

e

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:08 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Welcome aboard. We could do with the model number off the caseback to identify the movement - e.g. E65062, E75362, E56059, E79362, etc - which will thereby allow us to identify the base movement..... and then hopefully identify a (cheaper) donor watch running the same base movement that you can swap yours out for.

Site Moderator

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:59 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Driver8 wrote:
Welcome aboard. We could do with the model number off the caseback to identify the movement - e.g. E65062, E75362, E56059, E79362, etc - which will thereby allow us to identify the base movement..... and then hopefully identify a (cheaper) donor watch running the same base movement that you can swap yours out for.

F65362 is on the back of the case.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:25 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

ellfin wrote:
Driver8 wrote:

Thanks

OK, so that indicates the movement is the B65, which is based on the thermo-compensated ETA 998.332.

The only other watch I know of that uses that particular base movement is the Victorinox Classic XLS MT Ana-Digi. If you could find a used model you could easily cannibalise it for the movement and drop it into your Aerospace. I'm not sure how widely available these are these days but they first came out around 2008, so there may still be some on the Bay, etc. (I've not looked). Obviously there may be other watches out there that use that movement too, I'm unfortunately I don't know any of the top of my head. Hopefully one of the guys who knows quartz a lot better than I do will chime in soon.

The only place I know that MAY be able to supply brand new ETA movements is Otto Frei (http://www.ofrei.com), but TBH I've only seen mechanical movements available from them.

Site Moderator

Hunterfate likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:54 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Driver8 wrote:
ellfin wrote:
Driver8 wrote:

Thanks

OK, so that indicates the movement is the B65, which is based on the thermo-compensated ETA 998.332.

The only other watch I know of that uses that particular base movement is the Victorinox Classic XLS MT Ana-Digi. If you could find a used model you could easily cannibalise it for the movement and drop it into your Aerospace. I'm not sure how widely available these are these days but they first came out around 2008, so there may still be some on the Bay, etc. (I've not looked). Obviously there may be other watches out there that use that movement too, I'm unfortunately I don't know any of the top of my head. Hopefully one of the guys who knows quartz a lot better than I do will chime in soon.

The only place I know that MAY be able to supply brand new ETA movements is Otto Frei (http://www.ofrei.com), but TBH I've only seen mechanical movements available from them.

Problem with the Victorinox is that the lower display is not the same size as the Repetition Minutes and I wouldn't use it unless as a last resort. The Breitling movement has always been proprietary so the watch has to go back to Breitling to get fixed properly. Always a chance you might find a used one on ebay but I've not seen one in quite some time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:37 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

vintage wrote:
Problem with the Victorinox is that the lower display is not the same size as the Repetition Minutes and I wouldn't use it unless as a last resort. The Breitling movement has always been proprietary so the watch has to go back to Breitling to get fixed properly. Always a chance you might find a used one on ebay but I've not seen one in quite some time.

Ah, I didn't know that about the lower display on that particular calibre. Sorry OP, I tried!

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:02 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Driver8 wrote:
vintage wrote:

Ah, I didn't know that about the lower display on that particular calibre. Sorry OP, I tried!

Do you think it would fit at any rate - I would even be happy with the watch working with just the analog hands. I am content to run it with the digi display off.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:52 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

ellfin wrote:
Driver8 wrote:
vintage wrote:

Do you think it would fit at any rate - I would even be happy with the watch working with just the analog hands. I am content to run it with the digi display off.

This earlier version will work but doesn't have the Repetition Minutes chime when you push the crown in. All other functions are the same.

http://www.allwatchparts.com/ETA-988333-Watch-Movement-_p_3054.html

ellfin likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:55 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 36 posts
The movement in the Victorinox XLS is not thermocompensated so this would effectively be a downgrade.

OP, unless you love this old Aerospace or it holds sentimental value to you, spend that same money on a newer 42mm Aerospace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ellfin likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:48 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
Want to replace it with a factory new Breitling? Send it for repair. Breitling may well offer 30% off a direct purchase if they can't repair because the Breitling version movement is not available. You'll have to surrender the non-working Aerospace. I did this with an old Intruder.....3 years ago.

Desert Hiker

ellfin likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Desert Hiker wrote:
Want to replace it with a factory new Breitling? Send it for repair. Breitling may well offer 30% off a direct purchase if they can't repair because the Breitling version movement is not available. You'll have to surrender the non-working Aerospace. I did this with an old Intruder.....3 years ago.

Desert Hiker

Problem is the Aerospace doesn't fall into that category of "can't repair" because they just install the upgraded movements.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:41 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
vintage wrote:
Desert Hiker wrote:

Desert Hiker

Problem is the Aerospace doesn't fall into that category of "can't repair" because they just install the upgraded movements.

Point well taken. Thanks. Perhaps ellfin could ask for that deal rather than paying that amount to fix an older model.

Desert Hiker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:33 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I would not spend that much to repair unless there is sentimental value associated with the watch. As others have said, I'd look to buy a different watch. Sucks, but it's reality.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:54 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
Absurd price for that repair. Sell it as is, use that money to buy another one, unless the watch has sentimental value as mentioned earlier.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:50 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks to all. I bought a replacement movement for 179.00. Brought it to my jeweller - he put in a new battery into the original and called me and said it runs like a charm. So I will keep the movement and wait to see how long it lasts. Not happy with Breitling but they will justify it by saying they felt it was not to their standards.