Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My first breitling
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:20 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
Hello all, my names Dan and I'm from the Uk.

As its my 30th in a couple of weeks I have been saving for a special watch. I had my eye on a Tag but after trying pretty much everything on it just wasn't for me. Ive always aspired to one day own a breitling but I wasn't expecting it to be so soon.

After trying on the avenger ll seawolf I knew I had to have one but I actually preferred a slightly cheaper option as it looked more classic. I ended up buying a Colt automatic with the blue face.

Only owning the watch for less than 24 hours I'm certainly ecstatic with my purchase. Still can't believe I have such a watch as my previous watch was an old Swiss made Hugo boss watch, nothing special but not the new Japanese c**p.

I know this is kind of entry level compared to some of the incredible watches I've seen on this forum but to me it's the best thing in the world.

As i am new to luxury watches and automatics I was hoping you would be able to help me with a couple of tips. I've googled, probably not well but can't seem to find a consistent answer.

1. It's likely that I will never go longer than a week without wearing this watch but as its power reserve is only 42 hours do I keep the watch going or allow it to stop? I've seen that it's good to have them working as they keep lubricated but at the same time I wouldn't want to wear the internals unnecessarily.
2. If question 1 is yes to keeping it going is it worth having a winder? I had read than even if wearing the watch every day it's still worth winding the crown as it keeps the spring tight which helps keep it as accurate as possible.
3. For cleaning the watch what is the best method/cloths/solution to use. Happy to pay for what is needed to keep the watch like new.
4. Final question which is a long time off but I noticed on the breitling website they do a maintained service and an overhaul service. When would my watch need to go for either service?

5. Sorry thought of one last question. Will the warranty card always stay lit? I know it's stupid but I was like a kid in a toy shop when I seen them add my warranty to the card... It's so cool.

Hope to not have bored you and thank you in advance for you help. I shall leave you with some nice arty farty photos I have taken.

Hunterfate likes this post.
 Post subject: Re: My first breitling
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:23 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Welcome to BreitlingSource.

Using the search function will help with many threads on these topics. It's completely up to you whether you keep the watch wound or let it stop and then set it each time. Most people will keep it running for convenience. Again a winder is up to you - convenience vs. hand winding each day. Service interval is 5 - 7 years and is driven by the age of the oils, use or otherwise is largely irrelevant.

For cleaning a soft toothbrush and diluted dish soap works well, for occasional polishing Sunshine or Cape Cod cloths are recommended - dozens of threads on both.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:09 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
Hi Dan, welcome to Breitlingsource and the world of Breitling.
The Colt is a great watch. A tough workhorse, unmistakable Breitling look, great water resistance.
I will never forget when I got my very first Breitling back in 2001. Similarly to you it was the then entry model , the Colt Ocean.
The answers to your question are here in this forum in past posts. You will have more fun searching through the posts.
A warm welcome from my Colt Ocean to your Colt.

Hunterfate likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:47 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thank you for the tips.

I hadn't even thought about using the search function on the site :oops: I will certainly give that ago.

Wessa, that watch is lovely. I love the colts classic look. To me it's a real gentlemans watch.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:37 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 2 posts
Danieljephcott wrote:
Hello all, my names Dan and I'm from the Uk.

As its my 30th in a couple of weeks I have been saving for a special watch. I had my eye on a Tag but after trying pretty much everything on it just wasn't for me. Ive always aspired to one day own a breitling but I wasn't expecting it to be so soon.

After trying on the avenger ll seawolf I knew I had to have one but I actually preferred a slightly cheaper option as it looked more classic. I ended up buying a Colt automatic with the blue face.

Only owning the watch for less than 24 hours I'm certainly ecstatic with my purchase. Still can't believe I have such a watch as my previous watch was an old Swiss made Hugo boss watch, nothing special but not the new Japanese c**p.

I know this is kind of entry level compared to some of the incredible watches I've seen on this forum but to me it's the best thing in the world.

As i am new to luxury watches and automatics I was hoping you would be able to help me with a couple of tips. I've googled, probably not well but can't seem to find a consistent answer.

1. It's likely that I will never go longer than a week without wearing this watch but as its power reserve is only 42 hours do I keep the watch going or allow it to stop? I've seen that it's good to have them working as they keep lubricated but at the same time I wouldn't want to wear the internals unnecessarily.
2. If question 1 is yes to keeping it going is it worth having a winder? I had read than even if wearing the watch every day it's still worth winding the crown as it keeps the spring tight which helps keep it as accurate as possible.
3. For cleaning the watch what is the best method/cloths/solution to use. Happy to pay for what is needed to keep the watch like new.
4. Final question which is a long time off but I noticed on the breitling website they do a maintained service and an overhaul service. When would my watch need to go for either service?

5. Sorry thought of one last question. Will the warranty card always stay lit? I know it's stupid but I was like a kid in a toy shop when I seen them add my warranty to the card... It's so cool.

Hope to not have bored you and thank you in advance for you help. I shall leave you with some nice arty farty photos I have taken.

What a cracker!

Nice to see you weren't afraid to dip a bit lower to get the one that suited you. It looks like a beauty, I'm sure you'll get a lot of fun out of it.

Servicing... is it five years now? Probs will go longer before needing one.

Keeping it wound is about not leaving it for a year or so, so long as its active it'll be fine.

Lastly, it'll get dings. Don't be precious, that's what it's made for.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:02 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hi Benolio,

thanks for the message. im now 4 days in and i absolutely love this watch and im surprised how many people notice it which is nice. The choice was actually quite easy even though i wanted the Avenger it just didn't quite look right. i was also looking for watches with a grey/black face and then went for the blue in the end so i completely went against what i set out to have... i certainly made the right choice.

Dings will be a shame but im certainly going to be wearing this watch.

After reading these forums i now have all the knowledge i need to make sure its nicely looked after.

the biggest issue is i already want to have another one for more dressy occasions :). a rather expensive addiction may have begun.

thanks again for everyones help.

dan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:40 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Hello Dan,
Well done on your new :lingsrock:
l had to wait until I was 40 for my first one, now on my third, which I got about 4 weeks ago. I only wear my about once a week, so got my self a winder. Apart from keeping it going it looks so good going round in it,s box.
These winder,s can be cheap as chips or silly money.
I got a German make on amazon UK called a Klarstein l think it was about £60 you can pay over £200 but I thought I would give this make a go.
Enjoy your watch
Mick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:01 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Attachment:
IMG_0250.jpg

Klarstein winder

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:03 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
We all start with a colt and all end up with a chronomat its just a matter of time pardon the pun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:46 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 18 posts
Congrats and welcome to the club! A beautiful piece you've got!

As others have said - winders are for convenience. But there's also a certain joy in winding your watch and resetting it. So don't stress over a winder!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:55 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thank you all for your comments and i agree i think i will enjoy setting the time and winding the watch myself :).

ive now added another watch to my collection, my parents had bought me a Hugo boss chronograph watch with a leather strap. they weren't happy about my breitling purchase as they think i wont wear the Hugo Boss watch but i love it. Yes its nothing like the breitling but its a lovely watch which i will certainly wear.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:42 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
n.w.a1978 wrote:
We all start with a colt and all end up with a chronomat its just a matter of time pardon the pun

Yep.