Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Super Ocean 44 stitch up
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:58 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I've just sent my Superocean 44 for a service at a cost £471 which I accept and happy to pay. However Breitling are going to charge me £420 to replace the bezel because they can't refurbish the existing one. Had this been a totally metal bezel it would have been polished/refurbished at no extra cost. This absolutely crazy price & unrefurbishable design makes me wonder if this was a conscious decision by Breitling to extort money from customers who purchase this model. I'm selling this watch when it comes back from having the service and replacing it with an Omega. I don't want to be in this position again in three years time. I own a Heritage Chronograph 46 (and an Omega Planet Ocean xl) which recently had a service with no problems. If your thinking of buying a SO 44 think again my friends. Paying £891 for a service and bezel on a watch that costs £3000 is daylight robbery shame on you Breitling.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:13 pm 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 1005 posts
Sorry to hear that. What condition is the bezel in at the moment? Is the rubber all beat up? Can yo post up a pic so we can see what your talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:36 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

The rubber is worn as you would expect after 3 years of daily use. It's lost it's matt appearance and now has gloss finish. Sorry can't post a pic because it's in for a service and having the bezel replaced.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:05 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 40 posts
Can you choose to have it left as is, or is B saying they've done it already?

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:18 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

It is optional but what's the point of having a service and polish and spending £471 for the watch to come back only 80% done. I just think the cost of the bezel is outrageous and beyond belief and a blatant rip off.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:21 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I wanted to warn others of this money pit of a watch. My problem now is what to replace it with, I bought my first Omega last week and got to say very impressed with it. However I do love my Heritage Chrongraph 46.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:50 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 11 posts
That is way too much for a rubber bezel. I agree...

Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Rolex Submariner Date Ceramic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:39 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 40 posts
Scottmlaser wrote:
It is optional but what's the point of having a service and polish and spending £471 for the watch to come back only 80% done. I just think the cost of the bezel is outrageous and beyond belief and a blatant rip off.

Fair enough; just wondered is all. I'm not that bothered about that sort of thing myself, and intend to request the next watch I send for service isn't polished or re-finished anyway, but that's just me. Glad you're pleased with your new Omega.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:05 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
if i was you i would be glad its not a blacksteel watch. i had a super avenger blacksteel go in for service it was scratched up as i actually wear my watch. The price of a refinish would make a grown man cry plus the service cost ontop. i complained to breitling, they said we send it out to be refinish. I told them dont bother with service or refinish. stucj it for sale took a big hit and learned my lesson.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:49 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 3 posts
Scottmlaser wrote:
The rubber is worn as you would expect after 3 years of daily use. It's lost it's matt appearance and now has gloss finish.

if there are no nicks in the rubber, I can't see why they can't refinish it. Rubber can be reground in industry to a range of finishes.
I personally thought the whole bezel was finished with an abrasive from the factory anyway :?

Shame you didn't get a photo before it went off, but like me, you probably weren't expecting that sort of cost!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:57 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 13 posts
I'm a little shocked by the price and the inability of breitling to re-finish the rubber in house. As far as the bezel getting glossy. I have had my SO for 2 years going on 3. Mine certainly isn't as matte as it used to be but neither is my rubber strap. It might look a little odd having a completely matte bezel with a shiney strap in my case. Additionally In my opinion the worn rubber bezel doesn't look bad. It wouldn't bother me that the watch is polished and the bezel is left alone. Scratches on the metal will happen a week within wearing it anyways. Just my opinions of course.

Skandyandy likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:18 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
This is why i think there is a lot of sceptisism over service prices for luxury watches. We keep on being informed that it is so necessary to have our watches serviced to keep it running smoothly, which costs a fortune, then you have to pay so much money for a bezel that lets be honest here, is not worth more than 50 pounds. Service prices have never felt right, and its not just Breitling. Anyway, still love my SO, the rubber might get shiny, but it won't scratch.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:40 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I have the Superocean II Chrono in the Abyss Red also with the rubber bezel.

I have had the watch for 3 years next month, and the rubber bezel looks terrible, as its red it has lost its colour and looks untidy, very disappointing for a watch that retails at £4440 - luxury watches should last as lifetime.

For this reason I am changing for an Avenger II with the metal dial. A mate has a Super Avenger and it still looks the same as the day he bought it and he got his before me!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:32 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Jeez that's an appalling rip off. I don't blame you for being angry. Paying almost a 1/3 or the purchase price for a routine service and refinishing a bezel is a disgrace.

I never thought it would cost THAT much to replace, but the generally "un-refinishable" nature of rubber is one of the reasons I would never buy a watch with rubber components on the head. That and the fact that rubber is obviously less durable than metal or ceramic. The quicker the rubber fad passes the better IMO.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:52 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
That is crazy, a material like rubber shouldn't be used on an area of the watch that can easily get worn without it being a part that can be easily and cheaply replaced. Huge rip off.....

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk