Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:58 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Hi,

Since I've blatantly jumped into your sales forum I thought it only fair to explain what brought me to Breitling :)

I've been looking for my first 'serious' watch for some time now. Budget is relatively modest at about £1k. I've looked at a whole range of brands inc. Tag / Montblanc (which I can get new within budget). Neither really speak to me, so I've since started looking at 2nd hand - mainly Omega, possibly a Speedmaster Reduced (love the Moonwatch but out of budget), however when I found a Reduced II I spotted a cream Steelfish. Not having looked at Breitlings much before, I was quite surprised to find one for £1k. I kinda knew I had found my watch when watching a number of Youtube videos (inc. ArchieLuxury of all things!), asking for advice on WUS and then seeing one in person locally. Unfortunately, the local Steelfish was £1500 approx. against the £1000 Steelfish online - which of course was snapped up right under my nose.

I have since found a Colt II in cream (so has the right colour) at £750 which is significantly cheaper, particularly since the Steelfish would likely also incur VAT charges as I found it outside the EU.

The Colt II also comes with warranty and is arguably a better size for my wrist (6.75" approx.). However, despite my head doing its best I can't bring myself to pull the trigger - so now I'm stuck waiting and hoping for another Cream Steelfish to come up for £1-1.2k.

Am I being foolish by waiting or should I just be more patient?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:40 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 7 posts
If wait for the right Steelfish. The Colt II doesn't appeal to me. The Steelfish is a classic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:43 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 47 posts
Colt II is a great watch. I flipped one with a black concentric dial on 20 mm brushed pro II. It was a great daily wearer. Never owned a steelfish, but hear lots of good things.

16710 Pepsi
Aerospace EVO
Navitimer 50th anniversary

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:20 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
If your heart says you want the fish, then wait for it. You'll never be happy with the Colt and you can bet that as soon as you pull the trigger on the Colt a Steelfish will come up! The fish is a classic.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:44 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
Found one for you from Govberg on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Breitling-Super ... SwNphWa1gD

Govberg are an authoritied Breitling dealer so you have no worries of it being a fake.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:00 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks all.

I did look at the Govberg one but allowing for 20% VAT (UK Sales Tax) it's well over budget and more expensive than the local one, I'm grateful that you had a look for me though :)

I guess that's part of the problem - I've seen the Fish at an incredibly good price so there is no guarantee I will find one for similar money again...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:23 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
Have you tried a Steelfish on your 6.75" wrist? It is a large piece (44mm, 16mm thick and heavy). If you like the design they did make a 42mm size in the year 2005, may be hard to find though. The Colt may be a better fit but you can always try the Fish and sell if doesn't work out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Kodiak wrote:
Have you tried a Steelfish on your 6.75" wrist? It is a large piece (44mm, 16mm thick and heavy). If you like the design they did make a 42mm size in the year 2005, may be hard to find though. The Colt may be a better fit but you can always try the Fish and sell if doesn't work out.

Good advice I think. The Steelfish is iconic but it was too top-heavy for me (a bit under 7"). I settled on a A17360 SuperOcean which at 42/15mm felt about my max. A subjective thing of course.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:57 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 285 posts
Avallon wrote:
Hi,

Since I've blatantly jumped into your sales forum I thought it only fair to explain what brought me to Breitling :)

I've been looking for my first 'serious' watch for some time now. Budget is relatively modest at about £1k. I've looked at a whole range of brands inc. Tag / Montblanc (which I can get new within budget). Neither really speak to me, so I've since started looking at 2nd hand - mainly Omega, possibly a Speedmaster Reduced (love the Moonwatch but out of budget), however when I found a Reduced II I spotted a cream Steelfish. Not having looked at Breitlings much before, I was quite surprised to find one for £1k. I kinda knew I had found my watch when watching a number of Youtube videos (inc. ArchieLuxury of all things!), asking for advice on WUS and then seeing one in person locally. Unfortunately, the local Steelfish was £1500 approx. against the £1000 Steelfish online - which of course was snapped up right under my nose.

I have since found a Colt II in cream (so has the right colour) at £750 which is significantly cheaper, particularly since the Steelfish would likely also incur VAT charges as I found it outside the EU.

The Colt II also comes with warranty and is arguably a better size for my wrist (6.75" approx.). However, despite my head doing its best I can't bring myself to pull the trigger - so now I'm stuck waiting and hoping for another Cream Steelfish to come up for £1-1.2k.

Am I being foolish by waiting or should I just be more patient?

Hi
I have been looking for a steelfish for a few months know,great watch I'm after a black dial if I see a cream dial will PM you.
I'm UK based as well, welcome to the forum.
Col.

Breitling Chronomat Longitude
Breitling Chronospace automatic
Breitling Navitimer B01
Breitling Skyland Avenger
Breitling Skyracer Automatic
G Shock Work Watch

CGS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:30 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

TomP wrote:
Kodiak wrote:

Good advice I think. The Steelfish is iconic but it was too top-heavy for me (a bit under 7"). I settled on a A17360 SuperOcean which at 42/15mm felt about my max. A subjective thing of course.

I have tried one. (Un)fortunately although my left wrist is reasonably slim, I'm of 'sturdy' build :)

I tried a black Superocean as well but felt it wasn't quite big enough.

I currently wear a 42mm Christopher Ward C60 which fits well and actually seems to wear about the same as the 44mm Steelfish.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:31 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 9 posts
....and I'm after a blue dial. Eyes peeled! Happy hunting.

Emergency

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:32 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

CGS wrote:
Hi
I have been looking for a steelfish for a few months know,great watch I'm after a black dial if I see a cream dial will PM you.
I'm UK based as well, welcome to the forum.
Col.

Thanks Col - appreciate it. I'll keep an eye out for a black one for you :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:38 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 159 posts
Colt II is an awesome watch. I've had two myself. Really underrated. Perfect size. Looks fantastic with rubber.

If you go for the Steelfish, look for the older 42 mm model. I think it will be a better fit. The 44 is huge. The 42 is hard to find. If you can settle with a blue dial and the rare GMT-version check this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Limited-Edition ... Sw~otWdLbA

Avallon likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:13 pm 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59673

Avallon likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:24 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

BP80 wrote:
Colt II is an awesome watch. I've had two myself. Really underrated. Perfect size. Looks fantastic with rubber.

If you go for the Steelfish, look for the older 42 mm model. I think it will be a better fit. The 44 is huge. The 42 is hard to find. If you can settle with a blue dial and the rare GMT-version check this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Limited-Edition ... Sw~otWdLbA

Thanks, I think I'll stick with the 44 though. I never thought it would work, but it actually doesn't wear noticeably bigger than my 42mm Christopher Ward C60. :)