Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:06 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 62 posts
Sashatun wrote:
I am interested also about the value in time .... Per ex. If i will keep the time piece in good condition but let's say i want to seel it after 10 years ,witch brand is keeping the value or increases value ?!?
I have this point of view because , my actual watch the Chronomat evolution B13 it was ~ 6000 euro in 2007 and now is maximum 2500 euro, this means i loss 58%.
In my opinion, the Breitling brand does not keep the value in time ....:( , like Omega , Rolex etc...
If someone is of the same opinion, please explane why?

I would say Breitling and Omega resale are very similar.....Rolex & PP are in a different league when it comes to residuals.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:55 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Sashatun wrote:
I am interested also about the value in time .... Per ex. If i will keep the time piece in good condition but let's say i want to seel it after 10 years ,witch brand is keeping the value or increases value ?!?
I have this point of view because , my actual watch the Chronomat evolution B13 it was ~ 6000 euro in 2007 and now is maximum 2500 euro, this means i loss 58%.
In my opinion, the Breitling brand does not keep the value in time ....:( , like Omega , Rolex etc...
If someone is of the same opinion, please explane why?

It's a total waste of time buying a watch on the basis of potential resale value, as 99.9% will all lose value over time. Watches are like cars - as soon as you buy them then they will have lost money. Yes (and again, like cars) some lose less than others, but almost all will lose money over time. The exceptions are the ones that for reason become collectable over time - rarity usually, but in these days of mass production, rarity ain't likely to be what it used to be! And if we all knew what would be collectable in future we'd all be future millionaires.

IMO just buy watches because you like them, and not for any other reason.

Site Moderator

Helderberg likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:10 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Driver8 wrote:
It's a total waste of time buying a watch on the basis of potential resale value, as 99.9% will all lose value over time. Watches are like cars - as soon as you buy them then they will have lost money. Yes (and again, like cars) some lose less than others, but almost all will lose money over time... IMO just buy watches because you like them, and not for any other reason.

:yeahthat

It's the only sane answer. Yes, recent performance suggests that a Rolex will depreciate less than some other brands. But if every time you look down at your wrist you don't like it as much as something else what's the point in having it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:48 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 31 posts
TomP wrote:
Driver8 wrote:
It's a total waste of time buying a watch on the basis of potential resale value, as 99.9% will all lose value over time. Watches are like cars - as soon as you buy them then they will have lost money. Yes (and again, like cars) some lose less than others, but almost all will lose money over time... IMO just buy watches because you like them, and not for any other reason.

:yeahthat

It's the only sane answer. Yes, recent performance suggests that a Rolex will depreciate less than some other brands. But if every time you look down at your wrist you don't like it as much as something else what's the point in having it.

I have the same attitude when it comes to buying a Watch, buy what you like!

I recently purchased a new Chronomat 44 B01 and although it was heavily discounted here in the UK it was still £3460, okay if I had purchased let's say a used Rolex Submariner for what I paid for the Breitling when it came to sell I'm sure the Rolex would have been the best in investment terms!... but I know what Watch I would rather look at on my Wrist every day, and it ain't no Rolex!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk