All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: MI5 Breitling
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:44 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
vulcanpilot wrote:
Quote:
The agency commissioned Breitling to make 900 special editions of its Superocean Steelfish to mark its centenary in 2009. The models were offered to all 4,000 MI5 staff at a cost of £1,000 a piece.

So as a UK taxpayer, it looks like we subsidised these, to the tune of what, £1200+ each? So that's probably about £1M of taxpayers money just so MI5 staff can buy a nice watch cheap. No wonder the UK has so much debt. And I seem to recall there was a Police 'Royal Protection Squad' special edition too that was mentioned in a thread somewhere.

Not necessary. Cathay Pacific Pilots recently got together and got a Cathay Pacific Boeing 777 Aerospace LE done with Breitling at a VERY considerable discount, no subsidy from CX and they only had to commit to 50 pieces. I was really tempted to jump in and get one, even though I'm not a CX pilot but I know a few.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:43 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 97 posts
boogiebot wrote:
On a side note it would be really cool if we could do a b source type project. I know we have all talked about it before but it would be cool.

:yeahthat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 37 posts
le_baron wrote:
boogiebot wrote:
On a side note it would be really cool if we could do a b source type project. I know we have all talked about it before but it would be cool.

the greatest difficulty would be to decide on a logo and then the actual watch!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:55 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 1 post
1952 wrote:
le_baron wrote:
boogiebot wrote:

the greatest difficulty would be to decide on a logo and then the actual watch!

I thought that the logo would be difficult but what about that lady on the bomb that would be cool?

Rolex precision oysterdate
Breitling chronometre bi metal
Omega seamaster professional chronometer
Ball fireman
Rolex datejust diamond bezel
Rolex Explorer 39mm
Omega James bond 50th

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:58 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 1 post
What about a Breitling source forum watch with this as the logo?

Rolex precision oysterdate
Breitling chronometre bi metal
Omega seamaster professional chronometer
Ball fireman
Rolex datejust diamond bezel
Rolex Explorer 39mm
Omega James bond 50th

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:26 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
This would be kind of cool. I dig that pop art. So who Is going to contact breitling to get this started

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:12 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
It's been tried a couple of times guys, and it's consistently been a no-go with Breitling. Without going into the whole thing, the basic reason is that Breitling have only ever wanted to be associated with either military units, major companies, and occasionally sporting bodies - essentially "respectable" organisations.

A forum is, by its nature, pretty much totally unregulated and therefore open to all and sundry. Opinions can be aired without much censorship and we can be (and are at times) openly critical of Breitling's design/marketing decisions that we don't agree with. Breitling have sadly (to date at least) decided not to get involved with forum LEs or SEs.

To be honest, this is nothing out of the ordinary with the vast majority of major manufacturers. In contrast, the smaller boutique brands are much more likely to get involved with forums as they provide a fantastic exposure and built-in customer base to get them started. The bigger brands don't need it, and are much more concerned about protecting their image by being somewhat picky about who they get involved with.

So, without raining on anyone parade, a BreitlingSource Breitling Limited Edition in probably unlikely.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Driver8 wrote:
It's been tried a couple of times guys, and it's consistently been a no-go with Breitling. Without going into the whole thing, the basic reason is that Breitling have only ever wanted to be associated with either military units, major companies, and occasionally sporting bodies - essentially "respectable" organisations.

A forum is, by its nature, pretty much totally unregulated and therefore open to all and sundry. Opinions can be aired without much censorship and we can be (and are at times) openly critical of Breitling's design/marketing decisions that we don't agree with. Breitling have sadly (to date at least) decided not to get involved with forum LEs or SEs.

To be honest, this is nothing out of the ordinary with the vast majority of major manufacturers. In contrast, the smaller boutique brands are much more likely to get involved with forums as they provide a fantastic exposure and built-in customer base to get them started. The bigger brands don't need it, and are much more concerned about protecting their image by being somewhat picky about who they get involved with.

So, without raining on anyone parade, a BreitlingSource Breitling Limited Edition in probably unlikely.

I can understand Breitling's qualms about not getting involved with the forums per a forum logo but what about a special assembly for a forum order without any logo. Something like and Aerospace Evo with a yellow dial. Or a different bezel or a different color dial not offered to anyone else. They would still be discreetly supporting the forum without doing any sort of endorsement and still making some change. They might be more receptive to this route.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:45 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Can we please (please) just leave it at the owner and moderators are well aware that there would be a lot of interest in an LE associated with the forum and are very well aware of what hasn't worked so far.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:14 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
joe6263 wrote:
Well I had envisioned something like this :/

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:47 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

vulcanpilot wrote:
So as a UK taxpayer, it looks like we subsidised these, to the tune of what, £1200+ each? So that's probably about £1M of taxpayers money just so MI5 staff can buy a nice watch cheap.

I'm sorry, this involved "subsidy" how, exactly?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:39 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 10 posts
andrewjt wrote:
vulcanpilot wrote:
So as a UK taxpayer, it looks like we subsidised these, to the tune of what, £1200+ each? So that's probably about £1M of taxpayers money just so MI5 staff can buy a nice watch cheap.

I'm sorry, this involved "subsidy" how, exactly?

Well, presumably you aren't from the UK and have no idea how the profligate quangocrats operate here?

subsidy
noun
noun: subsidy; plural noun: subsidies
  • a sum of money granted by the state or a public body to help an industry or business keep the price of a commodity or service low.

• a sum of money granted to support an undertaking held to be in the public interest.

• a grant or contribution of money.

Perhaps you can tell me where I can get a brand spanking new SE Breitling for £1000 from? It'd probably cost me more than that as a 2-year-old second hand piece on ebay :roll:

Had
2013 Avenger Seawolf SS yellow Arabic dial
2010 Aerospace Avantage black dial & Co-pilot
2007 Aerospace Repetition Minutes
2003 Superocean
2001 Chronospace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:29 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 10 posts
As said already, its strange that 900 of these commissioned for intelligence ops are sold (read as "given") to them by M15 and labelled as such.

I would bet we've paid for this - amazes me the expenses that go through whitehall, whilst the rest of us are told to cut back/not receive a pay rise for years/have pensions slashed because of what irresponsible governments did as well as the financial industry did to us. This when major parts of the country under water with little assistance from central government being provided.

Can't help wonder what the UK gov think they are doing with our money - if I operated my company like this, I'd have been fined and likely banged up years ago, let alone being stripped of holding a director role.

Can someone help me off my soap box now please?? :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:02 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
Who knows, perhaps they are being supplied at cost. Maybe £1,000- 1,200 is the correct price, without a subsidy. It is a promo after all, and maybe there is more kudos in supplying a small batch of watches at a very reasonable price instead of no one buying at an out of reach one.

If it puts a Breitling on the wrist of a few hundred Civil Servants, I should think that a good thing. Would be better if it was a British brand perhaps, targeting M15 as it were. But, you can't have everything.

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:18 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I just had to chime in...

The watch is a special edition, commissioned by The Service to celebrate 100 years. They were originally offered to permanent employees only but at just over £1400 each they couldn't get enough orders on those salaries; then they opened it up to everyone working there regardless of employment terms including contractors... then they stopped taking orders!

I wear a Rolex, Deep Sea day-to-day and a simple Steel Sub when I don't wish to appear to be in handcuffs. I can tell you that by comparison with those it's not nearly as ugly as that photo makes it look, the '5' where the 6 should be is a lovely touch.

When they arrived they came with an insurance valuation of circa £3,000, no idea what they go for now as I've never seen one go up for sale other than that fiasco in the Daily Mail. That article was cobblers, although they did get one thing right, there were 900 made and I can confirm that because it says as much on the back of mine ;-)