Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:23 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
I travel out of decent sized airports (Honolulu International, Reagan National) on a somewhat regular basis and I always worried about dropping my watch into the little tray to go through x-ray. I'm not worried about the x-rays, but there have been times where I'm held up in line and my watch is just sitting at the end of the machine waiting for me. Any small distraction and someone could just walk off with my watch.

What I do now is put my watch into a case and drop it into my carry on while I'm waiting in line. I bought an Oakley large watch case which fits all my watches. I've never had TSA ask me to open up my carry on to see the watch and I feel better knowing that it's a little harder to steal (and less tempting, since it's not in plain sight) inside my bag.

Chrono Avenger, Grey Dial, Pro II
Steelfish, Black Dial, Ocean Racer
Super Avenger, White Dial, Pro II
Casio GWG-1000-1A3 Mudmaster
Sinn UX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:18 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

You should look the Transportation Security Administration officer directly in the eye with a defiant look, and say "No, I'm not taking it off, and no, you can't scan it...moron."

Did you bring your own lube for the cavity search?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:37 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
The x ray machine is harmless & one little trick is to put your wrist(& watch) in the small of your back as you pass through the machines. ie furtherest distance from the walls. Sound silly but it works(advice from a security guy), & you never have to remove it from your wrist. I wear my airwolf(pretty hefty bit of steel) through security machines several times a day at airports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:58 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I walked through 2 different US Aiports this weekend and never took off my SuperOcean Steelfish. The metal detector didn't go off either time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:02 am 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

nickmarascia wrote:
I walked through 2 different US Aiports this weekend and never took off my SuperOcean Steelfish. The metal detector didn't go off either time...

Thats strange. I used to try to get my aluminum Locman on leather strap through, and it never worked. If I remember correctly, I couldnt even get through security at the Staples Center with it on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:13 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I recently travelled to Bermuda with no issues through the X-Ray or metal detectors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:34 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
I´d highly recommend you never walk your watch through a metal detector. As any other magnetic force, it could damage the electronic parts of your watch.

As an easy test, try with an old computer diskette. Put it in your pocket and walk it through. Chances are, the diskette will be damaged and your computer won´t be able to read it any more. The same story applies with old cassette tapes.

These devices are perfect examples to prove what a magnetic force can do on an electronic device.

Digital cameras, laptops, potable hard drives, they all are vulnerable to magnetic forces and, eventually, will stop working if they are exposed too long or too many times. Same could happen with watches, as they have electronic parts too.

I never wear any watches, or walk with any electronic device in the metal detector. Xrays are the safest way to go, they won´t damage any electronic device. However, as some people have wisely advised, there´re security issues to bare in mind.

I normally use two trays for my goods. One for my laptop and the other for my wallet, watch, ipod, phone... and then, on top of all that, my jacket and maybe a small backpack. I hold my trays until I know I´ll be able to walk through the metal detector, and be ready to see my good coming out of the Xray machine. As soon as I get both of them, if possible, I pick 'em up and go to a calm area, so I can take my time collecting my goods and there is not so many people around me.

It all sounds like a pain in the neck to do it... but once you get used to do it isn´t that bad.

Take care :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:10 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

auto watches have electronic parts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:24 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

For a metal detector to affect an automatic watch, the magnetic field would have to be strong enough to magnetize the metal components inside the watch which I think is very unlikely. Put that watch near one of the MRI scanners I work with and then things would get interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:41 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I've found the best thing to do when putting an expensive item through the scanner is to take it off and put it in your carry-on bag if you have one...If they can open your bag and get your watch out without you seeing it between when you set in on the belt until you retrieve it, that would be impressive. I have done this several times and it makes me feel a bit better than just putting the watch in a tray and letting it go through.

Post subject: Regarding This Post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First off thank you all for your collaboration on this forum, I was fortunate to travel this year. I brought the watch with me, the first time I passed through the airport they demanded I take it off, and insert it into my shoes, and then at the end it would be waiting

The second time, I didnt take it off and walked through the metal detector, it didnt have issues.

I havent noticed any issues as of yet, (knock on wood) i am actually knocking on wood as we speak.

I hope all have a great weekend, and if any are here in America, a happy and safe MDW to all .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:35 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Ross wrote:
I travel out of decent sized airports (Honolulu International, Reagan National) on a somewhat regular basis and I always worried about dropping my watch into the little tray to go through x-ray. I'm not worried about the x-rays, but there have been times where I'm held up in line and my watch is just sitting at the end of the machine waiting for me. Any small distraction and someone could just walk off with my watch.

What I do now is put my watch into a case and drop it into my carry on while I'm waiting in line. I bought an Oakley large watch case which fits all my watches. I've never had TSA ask me to open up my carry on to see the watch and I feel better knowing that it's a little harder to steal (and less tempting, since it's not in plain sight) inside my bag.

I second this method. I travel for work and always put everything valuable in one of my carry on bags before I even get to the airport. That way there is no chance of forgetting something in one of the bins. The TSA makes about $500,000 a year on forgotten change alone, I'm sure they would love to add some nice watches to that amount. I'm sure those would never make it into the warehouses and auctions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:02 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I've taken my Breitlings through the WTMD at about 50 different airports (and at all the different security threat levels in the US) and have never been asked to take them off, or have them set off the machine.

At BOS I did have a TSA guy come up to me just before my flight was due to board and dangled a rather nice Omega Speedmaster and asked if it was mine. A bit odd since I already had one watch on! I hope the owner got that one back :?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:49 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
Ross wrote:

Yup, this is exactly what I do. It may well be true that, most of the time, wearing the watch through the metal detector goes without incident. But, on the off-chance that it doesn't, and the watch has to be handled by TSA folks and put back through the X-ray machine -- I'd rather have the peace of mind of not having to deal with that scenario at all. When I get to the airport, I put my watch in a Breitling travel case (you know, the kind that comes with the watch) and place it in my carry-on. Never a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:44 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 22 posts
I’ve not had an issue with any watch thus far. I’ve been travelling at least twice a year internationally. Never had to remove a watch and no issues with any keeping time. You should be fine.
Enjoy your trip!

Rolex Sub C 114060