The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:30 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi, i have a brand new Breitling Bentley Motors, is it normal for the watch to stop when not worn for about 24 hours, i did not ware my watch since 11th of June at around 6pm and then this morning 12th June at around 9:30 pm i picked it up and gave it a good wipe with a soft cloth, this morning 13 June at 6 am i noticed that my watch had stopped the date was still yesterday's (12-06-2008) and the time was at 10:35 pm. So i picked it up gva eit a small shake a noticed the second start to move i adjusted the time and date again. Is this normal for a breitling bentley motors or is it something i should have checked out. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:57 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

That is normal. Mine does that at times also. Try winding it like 20-30 times and see if that does the trick. I just wear my watch more now. Good luck

Breitling for Bentley GMT Midnight Carbon Black Steel LE 1000
Hublot Big Bang Aero Bang Steel
"You gotta pay to play..."
:fulllingclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
That sounds normal. As the Motors is an automatic watch that means it doesn't run on a battery. The fine detailed machinery inside your watch will need winding of the spring to keep running, and you'll get that either from wearing it actively or winding it (manually or in a winder).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:42 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Also, from completely dead you should give it a few turns of the crown before shaking it to wind. The crown is a gentler method for getting the mainspring back into tension. Rule of thumb for most automatics is each twist of the crown (in winding position) is "worth" about a half hour of reserve time (watch not being worn or moved). Tweak it up 12-15 turns and wear it all day it should be good for 24h plus.

Several Others (Rado, TAGHeuer, etc)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:54 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Approximately 18 hour power reserve...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:26 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

power reserve I feel on every watch is all different depending on how often one wears the watch and cares for them. I have noticed about 24 hr reserve on my watch give or take although I havent really fully worn the watch all that much.

Breitling for Bentley GMT Midnight Carbon Black Steel LE 1000
Hublot Big Bang Aero Bang Steel
"You gotta pay to play..."
:fulllingclub:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:52 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I am looking for some advice:

I bought my superocean just over 2 years ago in Bulgaria-Sofia.
I have been wearing this watch quite regularly on my wrist and it has been working fine up until now.
I have the authentication paperwork. Now when I wear the watch on my wrist it only seems to wind up at irregular periods, and I consequently lose time. This is not what I would expect from paying such a large amount of cash for the watch; assuming that this would last a lifetime without any problems.
If I send this off for servicing/repairs, surely Breitling should pay for this to be sorted out as the automatic mechanism inside clearly has stopped functioning as it should. Perhaps I should sell this watch and get a Rolex.!!

Cheers
M

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:07 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
chimerical wrote:
I am looking for some advice:

I bought my superocean just over 2 years ago in Bulgaria-Sofia.
I have been wearing this watch quite regularly on my wrist and it has been working fine up until now.
I have the authentication paperwork. Now when I wear the watch on my wrist it only seems to wind up at irregular periods, and I consequently lose time. This is not what I would expect from paying such a large amount of cash for the watch; assuming that this would last a lifetime without any problems.
If I send this off for servicing/repairs, surely Breitling should pay for this to be sorted out as the automatic mechanism inside clearly has stopped functioning as it should. Perhaps I should sell this watch and get a Rolex.!!

Cheers
M

Well the warranty is two years, so technically it will be out of warranty, but I would take it in to the AD and see what they say - at the very least they can diagnose the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:52 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Well the warranty is two years, so technically it will be out of warranty, but I would take it in to the AD and see what they say - at the very least they can diagnose the problem.[/quote]

I am aware that there is a warranty period.
However, my point really is that with a watch of this calibre; this kind of problem should not occur(be expected) at such a price. I bought myself a Breitling with this is mind, at the same time I bought my partner a battery powered quartz Tag; and this timepiece is still running perfectly.
I am now not confidently re-assured purchasing an automatic after this experience.
BTW does anyone have any knowledge of the The Breitling Emergency edition changing frequency to 406 Mhz from 121.5 Mhz. If this is the case I would consider getting a battery powered watch on the strength of this.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:56 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
chimerical wrote:
This is not what I would expect from paying such a large amount of cash for the watch; assuming that this would last a lifetime without any problems.

Cheers
M

A mechanical watch is like a car - loads of moving parts with exceptionally small tolerances. Correctly serviced at regular intervals a mechanical watch WILL last you a lifetime, but just as you can't expect a car to run forever without servicing, so it is with a mechanical watch. Even a 1,000,000 GBP Bugatti Veyron will need a service.

Having said that, 2 years is probably a little soon for a standard service, so it would appear that you have an issue that an AD will need to sort out for you. But again, just like a car, if something is manufactured in large quantities there will unfortunately be problems with the odd one or two pieces. I know that doesn't give you any comfort now, and I can understand your irritation, but that's just the way things are I'm afraid.

In terms of selling the watch and buying a Rolex instead - well, that's up to you, but please don't assume that everything that comes out of the Rolex factory is perfect. As I say above, it is impossible for a company to make a product where every single piece ever produced never have a single problem.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:09 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Agree with Driver8 and can add nothing more there.

In terms of the Emergency - the frequency is not changing because it would be pointless. Only satellites are stopping monitoring of 121.5, and the signal from an Emergency is not strong enough to reach satellites.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
A simple watchwinder will do the trick ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:44 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 1 post
That is completely normal......24 hr reserve is normal after a couple of days of wear on and off..the watch will never wind fully on the wrist..a 40 hr reserve is only possible after full manual wind and will slowly diminish even if worn regularly. From my experience, wearing a watch for a week after a full wind, the reserve settles to about 30-34 hrs. It is next to impossible for the automatic mechanism to recoup back to full tension(40 plus hr reserve) nor is it necessary to maintain anything over 80 percent tension on the balance spring which is roughly 30-34 hours of reserve. The closer the balance spring is to full tension, the harder it is for the automatic mechanism to wind it.